SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6303 - 11/20/05 06:45 PM Beginner seeks advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get a keyboard for Christmas. I am a beginner and don’t want to spend more than $200 to $225. I played piano for about two years when I was in elementary school and some guitar when I was in college. I can’t say that I ever got very good at either, and did not learn to read music. When I played guitar, I just learned tablature and have forgotten most of what I learned in elementary school. One of my problems is that I get easily discouraged if I don’t make progress relatively quickly. Now at age 32, another problem that I foresee is that since I now have a 2 year old and a 7 month old baby, I doubt that I will have a whole lot of time to practice. I am hoping that I can learn 5 songs in a year’s time. Some of songs that I would love to be able to play in the distance future include The Entertainer, Classical Gas, Sanford & Son theme song, Axel F, Georgia on My Mind, and The Pink Panther. I would guess that most of these are really hard to play and are way too advanced for a beginner who would have limited practice time. This would be one of the reasons why I don’t want to spend a lot of money. By the way, which songs on my list are the easiest to learn and which are the hardest? Also, can you save enough money buying a keyboard over the Internet as opposed to a local store to make it worth while? If so, what web sites would you recommend. Given the above information, which keyboard would you recommend? What are some of the features to look for? If at all possible, I would like to buy one that can emulate a true piano sound. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-John

#6304 - 11/28/05 09:32 PM Re: Beginner seeks advice
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
John...At your age of 32, I must commend on what is a brave undertaking, only because, as you say, you've been out of it for so long.
You might want to re-think the$200 - $225 limit on what you're wanting to spend, or you're liable to end up with something that's going to frustrate, rather than satisfy.That doesn't mean to put yourself in hock for an instrument, but you might need to go a little higher.

I'm assuming, you're not a sight reader, that is to say, If I was to plop down the sheet music to "The Entertainer" in front of you, you'd probably get very discouraged, very fast.
I can say that because I would too.
Sounds like your more of a play by ear individual...welcome to the club.
If I can offer you any advice with regards to learning a few particular songs, it would first be..."Find the Bass".
Once you've got that established, you can build from there. As a kb player, you don't necessarily have to be a virtuoso when it comes to playing.
I'm constantly in awe of many talented piano & kb players, many of which have been in the audience when I'm playing (we travel in the same circles as you can imagine). They've come up to me with sincere kudos for a job well done.

John..I can't read music. Yes, I can read it if you give me a week, and I'll figure it out. But I need to get it up and running a lot faster than that.
2nd little secret..Bass on the left, chords & fancy melody on the right. I know there are a few piano teachers out there shaking their collective heads, but nowhere is it written in stone that there is only one way to play.

This isn't a plug, but visit my web site: http://members.shaw.ca/shboom and listen to some of the demos...and remember...if I can do it....anybody can do it.
That's not to say what I do is gonna re-write the musical history books, but, Hey..I'm playing, I'm gigging, and I'm enjoying myself. And isn't that what's important?
Again...I applaud your efforts, and Good Luck, and Happy playing.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 11-28-2005).]

#6305 - 11/29/05 06:26 AM Re: Beginner seeks advice
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jftuga:
I am looking to get a keyboard for Christmas. I am a beginner and don’t want to spend more than $200 to $225.

John, if you're looking for a keyboard that feels like a piano and has 88 keys, I'm afraid that your price range isn't nearly adequate, very likely even for a used bargain. However, if "synth action" and fewer keys (61) will do, I'd suggest looking at a Casio CTK-900, which retails for about $200. Besides piano, this keyboard has some decent emulations of many other instruments. The Casio WK-3200 has 76 keys, the same "sound engine", and some features not found on the CTK-900, but retails for about $300. Here's a link to these units; there are demos there you can listen to: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/highperformance/

Best of luck in finding something that fits your needs.

--Barry

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online