SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62767 - 09/25/03 04:37 PM audio to SD
santa 1 Offline

Loc: stuart, fl - usa
It appears that all the work I have done for years on my KN1000 and 2000 disks, will be better saved to Audio on the SD card. I need to know the best way to do this. I believe I can run a line out of either of the older keyboard, directly to my computer and with the correct software, create some form of audio date to load back into the KN7000 SD. I am hoping that the quality of sound will be as good as the 7000 and volume can be matched so that when I go from live play or SD stored Technics, they will sound the same. I just don't want to lose all the good stuff I have created up till now. In future, of course, I will work on the KN7000 and save to the SD.

#62768 - 09/26/03 04:01 AM Re: audio to SD
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Some things to bear in mind while you do the transfer :
1. The quality of the audio files you create, will depend very much on the quality of the audio system on your PC. If the audio system is built-in on your Motherboard, then don't expect too much.
2. If you decide to use WAV format - best quality - the resultant file size will be about 10Mbyte per minute of audio. Using the MP3 compressed format, reduces the file size to about 1 Mbyte per minute of audio. So, you need to bear this in mind, when you consider the size of SD card required. For example : assuming the average song/tune is about 3 minutes duration, using a 128Mbyte SD card, you could store about 40 MP3 files but only about 4 WAV format files. The file sizes can be reduced by using a smaller sampling frequency on WAV file conversion, and more compression on the MP3 format, but this will be at the expense of sound quality.
In my opinion, you would be better spending the time converting your existing KN files to KN7000 format. Your KN2000 files should load directly into KN7000 and with a bit of 'tweaking' should give good results. Unfortunately, the KN1000 files will not load directly. The styles can be converted using the supplied style convert disc but to achieve total conversion, you need a third party program. - just my thoughts......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62769 - 09/26/03 09:47 AM Re: audio to SD
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Some things to bear in mind while you do the transfer :
1. The quality of the audio files you create, will depend very much on the quality of the audio system on your PC. If the audio system is built-in on your Motherboard, then don't expect too much.
2. If you decide to use WAV format - best quality - the resultant file size will be about 10Mbyte per minute of audio. Using the MP3 compressed format, reduces the file size to about 1 Mbyte per minute of audio. So, you need to bear this in mind, when you consider the size of SD card required. For example : assuming the average song/tune is about 3 minutes duration, using a 128Mbyte SD card, you could store about 40 MP3 files but only about 4 WAV format files. The file sizes can be reduced by using a smaller sampling frequency on WAV file conversion, and more compression on the MP3 format, but this will be at the expense of sound quality.
In my opinion, you would be better spending the time converting your existing KN files to KN7000 format. Your KN2000 files should load directly into KN7000 and with a bit of 'tweaking' should give good results. Unfortunately, the KN1000 files will not load directly. The styles can be converted using the supplied style convert disc but to achieve total conversion, you need a third party program. - just my thoughts......

In Alec's book it says that waves are converted to aac so waves are not put on the sd card. In fact it says they are the same quality in smaller file size on page 56, so you can fit MORE wave files as aac than mp3s on the SD card once they have been through jukebox....

#62770 - 09/26/03 03:30 PM Re: audio to SD
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Santa,
it's been a while since I actually tried audio recording. I recorded a few sequences in the early days before I sold my 9000 pro.

From memory, I connected the pro's "audio out " to "audio in" on the kn7. {so I had the pro playing through kn7 speakers}
I connected my kn7 to my laptop via a usb cable.
I then used the audio recording software supplied with the kn7 ( you'll have to read instructions), but instead of hitting play on the kn7 , I hit the play button on the pro, and recorded it to the audio software. I think it somehow uses the kn7 as the sound card instead of the computer soundcard.( I'm not teribly computer literate)

You'll end a with an audio file.

For saving that file to sd card and converting it, you'll need the panasonic sd pc audio writing kit, which consists of a special type of sd card reader/writer and the Juke Box program.
A card reader is pretty much a "must have" anyway, as it saves a lot of time when doing backups from sd to computer.

There are cheap sd card readers available thru computer stores etc , but they won't work with the Jukebox program & audio files on the kn7, so if you're planning on audio, go for the panasonic sd writing kit.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online