SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62712 - 02/27/06 03:36 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
technicsplayer Offline

The measure copy may not work all the time depending on how the original pattern was created, the insert then copy works all the time. The individual track copy is on page 2 of the pattern copy menu and allows individual track to track from source to composer.

the sequencer route is easy:

you have your new C major 8 measures cleanly in the sequencer... use step record if you get glitches pushing buttons live.

on the APC to SMF page, just arrange tracks 9 to 16 in order down the page, drum1, drum2, bass, acc1, acc2, acc3, acc4, acc5. Press convert wait till play stops.

go to sequencer to composer copy page. From left to right set measure first 1, last 8 (assuming these correspond to your sequencer measures), select a composer variation to place the pattern, in the track column put 9 at the top down to 16 at the bottom. Press Ok. Exit out, make sure the sequencer play is OFF and play the composer pattern normally.

You will have to balance as described above.

#62713 - 02/27/06 06:42 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
kn7 Offline

It is early morning in the States so the brain is thick. Thanks for all your posts. I understand better about the tracks and how this is done. I'll try it this evening. The day is full.

Colin and Cees - I want to have the versatility of being able to add a fill-in to a variation, as well as say, the first measure of Intro 1 (major) in a pattern (style) but want to use measures 2, 3 & 4 in Intro 2 (major) in the pattern. The usage of Pattern/Style, I never know what is preferred. To me, they are the same thing.

#62714 - 02/27/06 03:47 PM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
kn7 Offline

Well, I have tried what I think I understand what you said to do and it doesn't work.

I understand most but I don't know what you mean by "on the APC to SMF page, just arrange tracks 9 to 16 in order down the page, drum1, drum2, bass, acc1, acc2, acc3, acc4, acc5. Press convert wait till play stops." You must not be speaking of the SEQ to COMPOSER page for there is no press covert and wait till play stops. Where is this page?

According to the manual, which is no help at all, it says nothing about converting. I tried putting 9 through 16 in the SEQ to COMPOSER page and that doesn't work. Going into COMPOSER and looking in PART SETTING, everything is backwards - drums show Unison Horns and Symphonic Strings. The rest of the parts show Piano and NO SOUNDS playing.

#62715 - 02/27/06 11:48 PM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
Well, I have tried what I think I understand what you said to do and it doesn't work.

I understand most but I don't know what you mean by "on the APC to SMF page, just arrange tracks 9 to 16 in order down the page, drum1, drum2, bass, acc1, acc2, acc3, acc4, acc5. Press convert wait till play stops." You must not be speaking of the SEQ to COMPOSER page for there is no press covert and wait till play stops. Where is this page?

According to the manual, which is no help at all, it says nothing about converting. ..........

Please, have a look on my homepage, under Tips&Tricks, item 'MIDI- how to convert from APC to SMF' nr. K1. Maybe it helps you?
Cees

#62716 - 02/28/06 03:08 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:

According to the manual, which is no help at all, it says nothing about converting. I tried putting 9 through 16 in the SEQ to COMPOSER page and that doesn't work. Going into COMPOSER and looking in PART SETTING, everything is backwards - drums show Unison Horns and Symphonic Strings. The rest of the parts show Piano and NO SOUNDS playing.

the APC to SMF page is in the sequencer menu, copy & paste, APC to SMF convert. Change the tracks on the right hand side of the screen as described (it's on page 104 of the manual).

#62717 - 03/02/06 08:42 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
kn7 Offline

WELL, GEE!!!! I DID IT!!!!

I finally found some time to get back to the keyboard. Thanks, very much, Alec. This was sooooooooooo hard to figure out until you stated that I had to go to COPY & PASTE to find the damn APC to SMF CONVERT. I apologize for being thick on this one. I promise to improve on more complex matters. Just out of interest, why should one have to convert this? It seems all that would be necessary is to do a sequenced pattern and put in the right amount of measures in the SEQ TO COMPOSER COPY, play the sequencer and it would put it in the variation selected. Anyway it copied perfectly. Out of interest, all I recorded in SEQUENCER was APC and CTRL. I was surprised that I had to list all the tracks in APC to SMF CONVERT because I only actually recorded APC in SEQUENCER.

#62718 - 03/02/06 11:27 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
technicsplayer Offline

excellent
because the sequencer doesn't contain any pattern information in easy record, just pointers to the presets or composers or customs which contain the backing. To get the actual pattern in the sequencer the notes have to be written out to individual tracks in the same way you would create a midi file, track by track. That's why it's called APC (auto play) to SMF (midi file) convert. Without those notes there, there is nothing to copy to the composer.

#62719 - 03/02/06 03:44 PM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
kn7 Offline

Thanks, Alec for explaining how this works. The way you described it makes perfect sense. I have never given much thought of the actual function of the APC. I just knew it worked and it was a necessary track in SEQUENCER to record a style. It is comparable to a story about a woman who lived most of her life in the city. She moved to the country and she had no water coming out of her faucets. A man checked out the problem and told her that her well was dry. She replied, "I don't CARE if the well is dry, I just want water coming out of my faucet."

#62720 - 03/03/06 02:48 AM Re: JOINING VARIATIONS TOGETHER-CAN IT BE DONE?
technicsplayer Offline

if we could design an easy play keyboard working on her principle of the dry well we could be millionaires

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online