SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6255 - 10/18/06 04:00 AM I need your knowledge! Help please...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right, im in the market for a synth...

but...what i need to know is...

would a midi controller...such as M-Audio Keystation etc...with a good soundcard...with a synth emulated thru a laptop be suitable for live performance!? or would i get trouble with latency?

im asking because im likely to be playing synth in 2 quite different bands and would like the versatility of the emulated synths...obviously i know i would lose quality...

i have a good fast laptop. and am willing to spend a fair whack on a soundcard. i jus want to know if its possible

thanks in advance guys!

#6256 - 10/18/06 08:59 AM Re: I need your knowledge! Help please...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Perceptible latency when using software synths is history.

I am a Mac user so I can't make any specific recommendations. All I can say is:

If you are going to use a laptop use a Firewire audio interface. There are plenty to choose from.

This isn't something that you'd choose or decide on by reading a few posts. I suggest you just drop by your music store and see what's available. talk to a few sales guys at the Pro Audio/ Keyboards department and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

-ED-

#6257 - 10/18/06 03:25 PM Re: I need your knowledge! Help please...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
You might ask over here, as there are several users using laptops live
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=43&SUBMIT=Go

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online