SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62403 - 09/15/03 08:01 PM How to Create Pads
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Creating Pads via Sequencer or Midifiles

There are a number of sources available for creating your own pads via your sequencer or from midifiles ie
style parts from within your keyboard
style parts from converted styles
midifiles created from programs like Band in a Box or Jammer

Suitable Parts
I tend to look for rythmic parts like arpeggio’s, guitar strums etc or for melodic lines . The main thing to remember is to create a pad that is going to be useful.

Suggestions for using Pads
Mute a rythmic style part and use a pad in it’s stead to give a bit of variety to the style
or
create a mini style by using a piano arpeggio pad as left hand and playing melody with the right.

Recording Sequence for a Pad

When using a style part from within the keyboard or from a converted style, I record a sequence based on the chord of C maj incorporating the 4 styles or style parts that I’m going to use for my pads Example Using
Modern Opera Style ( KN7) APC1 Harp Arpeggio

Press Sequencer Button
Press Record & Edit Button
Press Step Record
Press Chd Button and step record 16 Bars of C Chord

Press CTL Button
Press Rythm Start
Press Movie Show
Press Modern Opera Vari 1
Scroll thru to measure 5 press Vari 2
Scroll thru to measure 9 press Vari 3
Scroll thru to measure 13 press Vari 4
Scroll thru to measure 17 press Stop

Press Exit

Press Copy & Paste Button (Sequencer)
Press APC to SMF Convert
Choose Track 12 and set to accomp 1

Press Convert
Press Exit

Creating Pads

Press Program Menu

Press Performance Pads
Press Seq to Pad Copy
Press First Measure 1 last measure 4
Choose Pad 1
Press Part 1 Track 12
Press OK
Press Edit
Press Part Setting if you want to change sounds etc
Press Exit twice
Press Play Setting
Change “start to Synchro” set loop to “on”
Exit
Press Pad Naming
Press ok & exit

Repeat all the above functions for pads 2,3 & 4 remembering to change the measures and the pad no.

For Pad 2
Press First Measure 5 last measure 8
Change to Pad 2

Pad 3
Press First Measure 9 last measure 12
Change to Pad 3

Pad 4
Press First Measure 13 last measure 16
Change to Pad 4

Creating Pad from Midifile

If creating a pad from a midifile from a program like BIAB or Jammer the steps are basically the same. Try and record your midfile based on the chord cmaj (just makes it easier). Keep a note of where your pad part starts & ends ( which measures) and the midi channel the part is recorded on ie midi channel 12 = track 12.

Load your midifile into the kn sequencer and follow the directions for Creating Pads.
Adjust track numbers if your midi channel is different and adjust your start & ending measures if they differ from my example.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#62404 - 09/15/03 09:11 PM Re: How to Create Pads
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Rikki,
Good tutorial!
When I get a chance, I'll try it and if I run into problems,(and I probably will), I know now who to ask for help.
I've made a couple of quick trys at making new patterns using Band in a Box but was not too succesful.
Thanks Rikki,
Walt

#62405 - 09/16/03 02:13 AM Re: How to Create Pads
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Thanks Rikki - will have a go, its good to know where to start.

The Performance pads feature of the KN7 could be greatly improved. Joan

#62406 - 09/16/03 01:45 PM Re: How to Create Pads
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Walt,
if you get stuck , let me know. The style I chose to create the pad from was only an example.

I assume you were actually trying to create a style from BIAB? rather than a pad. If so, I may be able to help in that regard also.
Working out "how to" create styles on different brands of keyboards was my hobby back in the 90's. I'm not much good on the musical side of things, but I can usually work out which buttons to press and the process behind the actual creation ( heehee)

I was hoping when I bought my KN7 that I'd do a bit more playing and less fiddling round, but, the style creation bug has bitten again ( the kn7's so full of amazing style creation features), so I'm slowly getting back into it.

If you need any help let me know.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Meyer:
Rikki,
Good tutorial!
When I get a chance, I'll try it and if I run into problems,(and I probably will), I know now who to ask for help.
I've made a couple of quick trys at making new patterns using Band in a Box but was not too succesful.
Thanks Rikki,
Walt

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#62407 - 09/16/03 01:49 PM Re: How to Create Pads
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Joan,
it appears to be a lot of button pushing, but once you get the hang of it , it's really simple.

My problem is , I know how to do it, explaining it is not always that easy. I f you run into problems, let me know.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Thanks Rikki - will have a go, its good to know where to start.

The Performance pads feature of the KN7 could be greatly improved. Joan

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#62408 - 09/16/03 03:00 PM Re: How to Create Pads
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi Rikki,

Thanks for the Pads Tuitorial. If I wanted to use these newly made Pads in a song that is already Recorded, what would be the best way to edit them into the sequenced song?

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#62409 - 09/16/03 03:32 PM Re: How to Create Pads
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Larry,
that might best be asked as a seperate question ie "how do I add pads to an already sequenced song". Might be worth mentioning how the song was created ie easy record, recorded in steptime or from a midifile etc as it may determine whether it's possible to add a pad or not.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert on the sequencer as far as recording songs go. To date I've really only used it for style & pad creation or to play back other members songs.( don't like hearing how bad I probably still sound after all these years (haahaa)
I normally just use them when I play in realtime, though, they can definetly be used when recording a new song from scratch.
( just not shaw how you'd add them afterwards, but I can do some further delving if no one else knows the answer)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Hi Rikki,

Thanks for the Pads Tuitorial. If I wanted to use these newly made Pads in a song that is already Recorded, what would be the best way to edit them into the sequenced song?

Larry Hawk

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#62410 - 09/16/03 03:51 PM Re: How to Create Pads
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Easiest way to add Performance pads, post recording, either Easy Record or Real Time Record.....
Play the song through whilst watching the Sequencer screen and make a note of the bar numbers, where you wish to insert a pad. Then use step record and the Control track, to insert the pad start point. If it is a 'One shot' pad (not looped) then you only need insert the start point. However, if it is a looped sound, then you also need to insert a stop point. So, to insert the pad, cursor forward to the appropriate point in the sequence and then press the desired Pad key. (The selected Pad will Play) If it is a looped sound, then move forward to the desired end point and then press the Pad STOP key. Repeat as necessary.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62411 - 09/16/03 08:43 PM Re: How to Create Pads
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Rikki:
Your explanation is very detailed. However I'm confused (sorry). When creating Pads can a person use a pre-exiting technics built in/composer style? That is, take a built in fill-in, even intro's and endings, and manipulated just right, looped, these could be awesome pads. Of course one would have to pick an accomp part, but just think...

Anthony

#62412 - 09/17/03 02:59 PM Re: How to Create Pads
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Willum,
saved me doing a lot of unecessary fiddling round to work out how to do it. Had a feeling one of the "sequencing " members would know what to do.
Thank you.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B]Easiest way to add Performance pads, post recording, either Easy Record or Real Time Record.....

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online