SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62139 - 08/07/02 11:43 AM External Amplification for kn6000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there
As a first time user of this forum and a keen kn6000 player. I plan to do some playing at some old peoples homes and would like some info. on external amplification suitable for medium sized rooms and also any other info on this type of performing

#62140 - 08/07/02 11:47 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Technics has always had just about the best "on board" sound system of all the portables, and I think you will find that very little amplification is needed for the senior set, if any. Mosy larger activity rooms have a mic and you can position it right over one of the speakers on your keyboard. For a nice small setup, you can get away with any 30-100watt amp that has a full range (tweeter prefered) speaker. A bass amp is OK, but will not produce the high end as well as a keyboard amp.

I do most of these types of jobs with NO external amps. Remember - these are old folks.("seasoned citizens") and they don't like it loud.

#62141 - 08/07/02 12:50 PM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clive,

I agree with Dave when it comes to older ears, including mine. I did add to KC 300's to my 6000 on the recommendation from Bob Hendershot (I think). It certainly improved the sound at a reasonable cost.

We all upgrade the keyboard but an inital purchase of a good sound system, one that suits our ears, can be a one time purchase to last for years.

#62142 - 08/07/02 02:10 PM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Clive and welcome to the Technics Forum

I also have a KN6000 which I sometimes play at small venues. Whilst basically agreeing with the comments made by Uncle Dave and Fran, I find that just occasionally, the overall sound can be enhanced by adding some external amplification. It need not be turned up so loud that it starts to annoy the audience - it just seems to 'spread' and enhance the sound a bit more. For these small venues, I use a relatively inexpensive domestic stereo Hi Fi system, which has a facility for an external line input. I have the compact speakers mounted on mike stands, usually placed behind me, to right and left. You can leave the KN6000 internal speakers operating or if you wish, you can disable them by just inserting an unconnected 1/4 inch Jack plug in the headphone socket.
Just one comment with reference to Uncle Dave's reply - I wouldn't be too inclined to use some of the PA systems I've heard

On another subject Clive, have a look at the posting 'North of the Gap' 31st July and if you are interested, email me.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62143 - 08/07/02 04:05 PM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Yes Fran, I use two Roland KC300's. I was initially steered that direction by Scott Yee. They are perfect because they are so easy to set up for stereo and can be used from very small venues to medium size. I normally turn the built in speakers off with an earphone plug using the KN5000.

#62144 - 08/08/02 08:43 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I wouldn't be too inclined to use some of the PA systems I've heard

Which systems did you NOT like? When it comes down to it, almost any small to medium PA or kb amp will certainly provide more coverage for a portable keyboard setup. I use the EV SAa100's - they are prety small, pole mountable, monitor tiltable, stackable, hangable and weigh in at about 35 lbs. And ya know, they sound pretty good too !

I often take a small one piece bass amp along if I just need a little extra uuumph. I EQ it very low so it just adds some punch to the bass and drums, but the majority of the perceived signal still comes from the keyboard speakers. Bass is what makes people move their feet. If it's a dance situation - beef up the bass for sure. If it's a really large room - elevate the speakers so they don't blast out the front rows, and still cover the back. (Acoustics 101)

There are lots of options available .... try a few and pick the best for your neeeds based on price, size, sound, portability, etc ..... Lots of factors. Good luck with your search.

#62145 - 08/08/02 09:14 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As a footnote: As much as I liked my Roland KC300's, about 9 months ago, I moved up from the Roland KC300's to the EV SX-A100s (on Uncle Dave's recommendation) and am really impressed by the tremendous sound improvement. I also find the EV's much easier to transport (than the KC300's) because of its ergonomic shape and balance, even though the SX-A100 actually weighs 43 lbs vs 38 lbs (KC300). - Scott

#62146 - 08/08/02 09:46 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello,
I also have two Rolands kc-300 and they are very good . I only use them at home...I am a home player but I only want the best.
I saw the EV SX-A100s and they cost 980 Euro for one piece... I almost have two kc-300 for this price.
But as I said I am only a homeplayer...
Sometimes I play along with my keyboard on my slidetrombone...and then it's better to have the amplification.

Greetings from Belgium,
Alain

#62147 - 08/08/02 11:11 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Uncle Dave, Don't get too hung up on my remark about some of the PA\systems I've heard. I'm referring mainly to some really C**P installations in clubs and pubs where I have had the 'pleasure' of performing in the past.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62148 - 08/08/02 11:30 AM Re: External Amplification for kn6000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Willum ..... I'm with you on this ..... I play at a really nice CC at which everything is top-notch EXCEPT for their PA ... which makes everyone sound like SQWRZZRK ZZRK WRZZZRK .... kind of like Donald Duck on crack!!! .... advances in technology has become a kind of double edged sword for musicians/entertainers ..... not only do the club owners etc. no longer worry about having a piano that works and is in tune, but now they don't even worry about amplification ..... because the musicians are going to supply it .....
t.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online