SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#61844 - 07/29/03 11:10 AM My First Wedding
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I've just been asked to play for my first wedding. It will be a garden wedding with about 50 in attendance. I'm planning on using my KN7000 without extra amplification.
Hey guys...I'm excited and nervous about this. I've NEVER played for anyone in public on my KN! This is a wedding of a widow and widower from my church. They are in their 70's. Any suggestions for song titles? I will play before, during and after the ceremony. What do you suggest as a fee for an amateur like myself? I have no idea what to ask.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#61845 - 07/29/03 12:20 PM Re: My First Wedding
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tim any of the common songs will work , before the service when people are being seated, love songs will work, I would use songs that the average person in attendence would recognize...Wind beneath my wings,Through the eyes of love,Wedding song, etc.. Specialty songs , Cannon in D, Bridal Chorus, Wedding march,,Lady is a tramp[just kidding about the last one].. As for fees, are they friends and would you be attending any way? If so, with out future consequences, I have performed in this situation with out a charge, [a wedding gift] They will remember your contribution forever..If a charge is neccessary, I think $250 is about average for a basic service..Make sure you know the procedure and order of the advent..If possible have someone within the organization of the wedding, cueing you..Have fun, it is easy and should be enjoyable..You are in a win/win situation..

#61846 - 07/29/03 03:39 PM Re: My First Wedding
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Tim,
First order of business. I two emails to you returned, your box is full again. Should I resend them or? I think they are music or?
Now for the advice. Find out what their favorite song is that they fell in love to and use that as your theme. Second considering their age they probably love songs from the 40/s maybe the 50/s
Third about getting paid by congregants. DON'T!
It will come back to haunt you. Been there and done that!
When and if this comes up I ask the folks involved to make a contribution to a popular need in the church. There are always many and then if the contribution will cover the cost of the item put a plaque on it with their and your name on it.
That is my thoughts
Best to you and yours
Bebop

#61847 - 07/31/03 10:52 PM Re: My First Wedding
FlutteringBy Offline

Loc: Northern Canada
Hi Tim,

Hope you're getting your program sorted out & you now have a list of songs in mind....

You mentioned that it will be a garden wedding, & therefore you will be playing outside....a thought that crossed my mind was, PRACTICE outside.....if you are used to the sound of your keyboard inside a room, you will find it will sound quite different away from the confines of walls....you will hear different accompanying instruments than you normally do & it can be quite distracting until you get used to the sound....& you certainly don't need distractions for what should be an enjoyable time for you....

So if you can, play outside a time or two before the big day....

Hope it goes well for you..
FlutteringBy

#61848 - 08/01/03 08:30 AM Re: My First Wedding
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
FlutteringBy,

Thanks for the great suggestion...I 'll need to go to my sister's farm in the countryside and play for the animals! I live in an apartment and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me practicing outside their window. I've got 2 months to practice...o boy...wish me luck!

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#61849 - 08/01/03 11:04 AM Re: My First Wedding
FlutteringBy Offline

Hi Tim,

I'm sure the animals will love it!..... ...
But do give it a try if you can....

I know the first time I played outside, I was so focused on the totally different sound (than what I was used to) from my keyboard that it sort of kept me on edge....so make sure you try all your panel memories, disks, or how ever you have you music set up....

Another thing to keep in your bag is a spike arrester....even on a beautiful day, lightening can appear from no where so its a good idea to always carry one with you as an "in case"....

With the event 2 months down the road, I'm sure you'll do fine.....

Good luck & keep us posted...
FlutteringBy

#61850 - 08/01/03 10:49 PM Re: My First Wedding
FlutteringBy Offline

One more thing, Tim,

With you playing outside, make sure you take some clips or whatever to secure your music pages....

You don't need a gust of wind flipping pages for you in the middle of a number....been there done that....

FlutteringBy

#61851 - 08/02/03 12:34 AM Re: My First Wedding
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I've just been asked to play for my first wedding.

Tim, I feel the most important thing to be concerned about is how confident you look, and how confident you feel. People will accept a wrong note, or a wrong button, in fact most of the time there in their own world doing what they do at gatherings. But when you lose my confidence, you lose control, that they will hear and feel.

Price is not to important here, although people do judge by what you are charging. I remember when I was going to homes teaching guitar, I bought some new clothes, then I bought a new car---then I raised my the cost of the lesson. They loved it, they bragged about this fine teacher that comes to their home.
Tim, treat it like a game. go to the job and enjoy it. That'll be the best you can do, and they will love it.

Relax and enjoy, John C.

#61852 - 08/02/03 10:48 PM Re: My First Wedding
santa 1 Offline

Loc: stuart, fl - usa
playing outside does pose a whole new playing situation. By all means, play outisde fist to see how different things are. Especailly important, avoid direct sunlingt or even highly lighed areas. The screen on the keyboard as well as button lights,etc, may be difficult if not impossible to see. Always have an emergency plan in case of sudden rain. You may need an extension cord and surge supressor, all 3 wire grounded. Clips to hold music down and in place in any breeze. Another goood song for this wedding - MY BEST TO YOU MAY YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE, TRUE LOVE and perhaps, THE SECOND TIME AROUND. Good luck.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online