SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#61705 - 05/20/02 09:01 PM Panel memory question
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
I am deep in study of my new 6500. The three extra panel memory banks, A. B and C have me intrigued. What is the best use to make of them? They are not dealt with in the manual or the video, so I suppose its up to everyone's discretion what they use them for.I like to have several different settings for the one song, so I suppose that's one use I would make of it as it would give me a choice of 3 without upsetting the normal panel banks.The other use is I suppose loading styles that are not residing in the keyboard. Am I missing anything. What do others do?? Any advice, please.Cheers Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 05-20-2002).]

#61706 - 05/20/02 10:58 PM Re: Panel memory question
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Jean,
The A,B and C banks can be used in many ways. With the Expand filter on they can become 3 additional banks giving you 13 instead of 10. You can also use them along with the composer or factory styles. A set up I use is: after you set your styles and instruments in Composer transfer them to the 20 Custom Section, then load 3 different styles in Composer, then your 10 banks from the factory styles. So in effect you have 33 different banks of styles and regs and can play all night with only loading 1 file from the floppy. Hope this is of some help.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively

#61707 - 05/21/02 02:56 AM Re: Panel memory question
Jean Olivia Offline

WOW!! I'll have to swallow this a step at a time. I'll learn all about the composer load first and then follow your instructions. I never really came to grips with the composer on the 5000. Now I know which way I'm supposed to be heading.I'll print off your answer Dave and let you know in due course how I'm going.I notice that most of the songs that Bebop sent me on the song list have a MEMORY LOAD.Thanks for your help.Jean.

#61708 - 05/21/02 05:30 AM Re: Panel memory question
technicsplayer Offline

since you can save either 3 banks or 13 banks of panel memories, the most logical use is to save 3 bank panel memories with composer setups.

Then you can have the 10 other banks residing without being overwritten whenever you make one of these composer loads.

The 10 banks can then have setups either for personal preset registrations, or custom registrations if you require more than 4 setups per style in the custom.

Since the custom styles can be saved with 4 registrations each without any need for panel memories, there is much flexibility available to suit whichever way of working you prefer.

A little forward planning will give plenty of song setups with the minimum of sequential loading required.

#61709 - 05/21/02 08:27 AM Re: Panel memory question
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks Alec. Light is beginning to dawn. I have made a start by putting my three favourite waltzes there and saving them.Ican see there are great possibilities. It is going to be much more convenient than the 5000.I'll get around to the editing and composing a little further down the track. I didn't bother about the composer in the 5000. I thought it was mainly for making up extra rythms and I had plenty, as I converted all my G800 styles as well as extras from the Webclub.Do you sleep alongside the computer???Many thanks. Jean.

#61710 - 05/21/02 01:32 PM Re: Panel memory question
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Jean, whenever you load a commercial style into the keyboard, it will most likely go to Memory Bank A. If you see the light go on during or after a load, check the memory banks by pressing the button. A screen will come up showing you what is in that bank, or all three. Most of the time, the commercial style disk will load extra variations, bridges, or solo instrumentations there. Or, it could be verse 1, verse 2, solo, finale, in that order. It pays to take a peek and see if anything is lurking behind the scenes that you can use while playing. I use the memory banks for conversions and general composer work before saving the final product to disk. Now you're beginning to see how versatile the kn6k really is. When you're done poking around in the composer, take a look at what the sequencer can do for you. By the way, thanks for the email - it was certainly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 05-21-2002).]

#61711 - 05/22/02 02:23 AM Re: Panel memory question
Jean Olivia Offline

Yes. Bud. I think I'll be making a lot of use of that facility. One thing is puzzling me at the moment, and it was the same with my 5000-- If I set all my panel memories for a song, press panel right then record my song alls well. However if I make a few changes to the panel memories and then re-save all and reload the song I still get the first lot of memories unless I press fill then panel memory 1 again. This is O.K. if I remember to do it, but I was going to send Bebop another song but realised with this particular song it needs this "extra hit" to bring up the right memory. I must be missing something as with my G800, if I resave anything it wipes out the previous memory.I can see life will be full of mystery from now on,but every day I learn something new and it's wonderful!!!Cheers. Jean.

#61712 - 05/22/02 02:25 AM Re: Panel memory question
technicsplayer Offline

set up the song ready to play with sequencer reset, then press panel memory 1 to bring up the new conditions, then go to the sequencer page and press panel write, ok.

the new conditions are now permanent.

#61713 - 05/22/02 06:26 AM Re: Panel memory question
Jean Olivia Offline

Success at last.!! thanks Alec. I thought I'd tried that, but must have missed on one button push somewhere.I'll do a bit of quiet study now and won't worry you for a while.I'm downloading all the pages from the magazines that have articles on the 6500 so that should keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for you patience as always. Reguards. Jean.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online