SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6147 - 12/06/02 12:56 PM EQ
Nool Offline

Hi all!

What should i do first reverb or eq??

And compression should be before eq right??

Hope someone can help me out

Best regards
Nool

#6148 - 12/06/02 05:41 PM Re: EQ
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
EQ should always come first!

PS- I agree, that *was* a little bit cheap, but I couldn't resist such an opportunity!

#6149 - 12/07/02 09:48 AM Re: EQ
Nool Offline

Ok thanks, but isnt it so that compression also affects the frequencies of a sound and that eq afterwards may be needed to correct that??

For example an enhancer....

Hope to hear from you...

Nool

#6150 - 12/07/02 05:45 PM Re: EQ
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ok, here comes my serious answer...

First off I just want to say I'm no expert and whenever someone says do something this way or that way, I find it a complete turn off.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to experiment and let your ears be the judge.

If you're desperate for a rule, then I really don't know for sure but I would speculate that the first stage would be compression, to make sure the signal's at a good level. Then I'd EQ the signal to either beef up the sound or thin it down (depending on what sound I was after). Then lastly I would add reverb to make the sound "fit in" with the other sounds in the mix and also to generally add a spacial dimension to the sound.

One again, I'm no expert and these rules are NOT carved in stone (well... not for me anyway).

Good luck!

#6151 - 12/08/02 03:22 AM Re: EQ
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Equalizer's right, there are no hard and fast rules but there are definitely things one would tend to do.

When recording, usually you'd go mic to compressor to mixing board/eq. Some people will argue that you should record a signal with as little processing as possible, then process the recording after the fact, but I don't agree with this. Reverb is often sidechained through an effects bus or auxillery channel, but anything can be done anywhere after the fact. For example, since I don't own a hardware compressor, I often record the signal with some eq tweaking on the mixing board, compress it in the computer, eq it again in the computer, then add reverb at the end (often through an aux channel). However, in some situations I've EQ'd then compressed it in the compressor. This is often to compensate for bad eq at teh mixing board, though. My Reverb plug-in allows me to adjust the cutoff, so I've never been in a situation where I need EQ after it, but compressing reverb is only something you should do if you want a desired effect, and I've never done it.

My next gear purchase will likely be a hardware compressor unit.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online