SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#60805 - 05/09/03 07:32 PM Sequenced Files
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I have recieved, recorded, and saved 7000 sequenced songs. Some songs have 2 files associated with the song, while some have up to 8.

When is saving all 8 files necessary?

What files are actually needed when saving an Easy Recorded Song ?

I know that eliminating files that are not needed will save some space, but will it make the song load faster. I can't really tell if a 2 file song loads any faster then an 8 file song on the already amazingly fast SD Card.

Thanks, and......Happy USA Mothers Day
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60806 - 05/10/03 03:45 AM Re: Sequenced Files
technicsplayer Offline

the files needed are only those you have used. If you have used no user pads, user effects, sound edits, panel banks 1 - 10 etc in your easy record there is no point saving them since they contain useless information. If you use a preset style you don't 'need' to save the composer.

The difference in loading time is very noticeable on floppy disk, particularly with pre nx models, but the speed of SD masks the speed difference. However you will noticeably fit more files on SD with selective saving, particularly with the required formatting.

It's all described in the book

#60807 - 05/10/03 06:18 AM Re: Sequenced Files
lahawk Offline

So according to your outstanding "Getting The Most" (shameless plug for Alec) if we were to Easy Record a song with Music Stylist, only 3 sub files are needed:
ACT , CMP , and SQT.

Thanks
Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 05-10-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60808 - 05/10/03 07:12 AM Re: Sequenced Files
technicsplayer Offline

any music stylist setting should require only a sequencer (sqt) save since they all use only presets. The act file is automatically generated and can only be deleted on a pc.

I recommend copying the style to the composer and sequencing from there (and saving the cmp file with the sqt for your example) in the case you change keyboards and want the exact style playing in the new board.

you can't have enough plugs Larry!

#60809 - 05/10/03 08:46 AM Re: Sequenced Files
lahawk Offline

So should we use that same principal
(style to composer sequencing) on any KN----so that if played on a KN7000 the overall results will be more pleasing ?

I have sequenced songs on a 3000(without using style to composer seq.) and played on a 7000 with poor results. Even after changing the sounds, pitch, etc.I could not come close to the original 3000 sequence on the 7000.

Would the above method help in achieving better results from an older KN to be played on the 7000, or is there just too many "years" between models ?

Thanks once again
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60810 - 05/10/03 10:42 AM Re: Sequenced Files
technicsplayer Offline

it would be much better from the point of view that the exact style plays, which you may have got used to and prefer to any new substituted style on the new board. But any discrepancies in samples or octaves in the sounds used would remain and require fixing.

Generally speaking I have found better results from a resave on each machine in between ie 3k to 5k to 6k to 7k than 3k direct to 7k, but there are always exceptions. There was a big remapping 5 to 6.

Another thing to try is find the same 3k style on the book compact disk - they are all comprehensively catalogued for you - and panel write the sequence to play from this style loaded in the custom (or copied to the composer from custom) resaving any panel memories used to point to the correct style.

But again this will give a good style sound but not solve any conductor sound discrepancies which will need rebalancing, sound substitution or octave shifting in the normal way.

#60811 - 05/10/03 03:05 PM Re: Sequenced Files
lahawk Offline

Alec, Thanks for another excellent explanation. Has anyone ever told you " You Know Your Stuff Dude

Now if I can just figure out how Larry Gosmeyer's 3000 sequenced songs sound so good on the 7000, noting that many of these fine sequences were made before the 7000 was even born.

Could it be he's good enough to make up for the discrepancies in 3000 to 7000 boards ? Maybe he has a secret we don't know about.
My answer... He's that good !

Thanks,
Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 05-10-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online