SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59962 - 08/01/03 08:09 AM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
What has Technics UK do more than the German distributor.

check the updates with the information they got from Technics Japan?
So the have to know what systems bugs are updated. (The German site give that information by the way)

If that is the case than it would be strange while never got any information in the past by every update even when members of synthzone asked for it.

How can they check you are using the UK update or the German update. I think the update disks still coming from Japan and they distribute it to their main distributors.

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 08-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 08-01-2003).]

#59963 - 08/01/03 12:14 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Mike ORegan Offline

Curiouser and curiouser!! Technics UK, if I remember rightly, promised to "look into" Upgrade 1.4, many moons ago. What happened? And why do we have to drag this information out of them? If Upgrades are sequential, then surely they should be now have issued Version 1.4 (even if it did only apply to German Help files). Finally, why all the secrecy about just WHAT upgrades do? If Taiyo can make the information available, why not Technics UK? We seem to have trodden this path before!!!
Mike O'R

#59964 - 08/01/03 12:25 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Mike,
As you can see from my previous post (Re: Update and Service) , same thing in the US.
Walt

#59965 - 08/01/03 01:22 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Patience is a virtue. Not too many virtuous souls out there I see.

Grandpa Doug

#59966 - 08/01/03 04:31 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
So the question remains "If my keyboard is working fine and I'm happy with it, should I upgrade" ?

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#59967 - 08/01/03 06:18 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Larry the way I look at it is not that whether I should upgrade if I am happy with my KN but rather I should upgrade when TECHNICS is happy with their upgrade. Frankly I don’t understand why some get so upset and impatient. Man, my keyboard with 1.3 OS works great as is! So what if they don’t see fit to inform us of the name of every little tweaking they do. Every board I ever bought worked dog gone good from the day I had it and I always had of the first group to be released in the Chicago land area. Some of them had up to ten updates to fix some things but nothing major. Can you imagine, almost a full year has gone by and it never dawned on me that anything needed to be fixed. That might be some kind of a record with keyboards. I think the 6000 had the most problems but that was a major design change and could almost be expected to have some tweaking done to it. Nothing too earth shaking, for me at least. It’s my personal opinion that as we grow a little fatter when we get older, us human males don’t upgrade our underwear size to keep up with the expansion. That leads to very tight shorts and tends to make the male a tad bit testy and irritable leading to dissatisfaction of the way others do things. You know, not updating fast enough and not telling them what's in the update. First things first. Update the skivvies and what’s in them will be much more happy and contented. This seems to me a good place to start and I’m sure by that time, technics will take care of their end. End? My oh my!

Grandpa Doug

#59968 - 08/01/03 07:04 PM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Thanks Bebop for the info on how to bring up the version number. But it's different on the PR804, doesn't surprise me.

I'm assuming on the KN7000 the piano, guitar and Mallet sound groups are the first top 3 buttons for the groups. I tried that pattern and it worked. PR804 buttons are, String; Brass; Sax&Woodwind.

Anthony

#59969 - 08/03/03 01:28 AM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Mike ORegan Offline

The whole point of putting the operating system on a flash EPROM is to enable the USER to EASILY keep up with improvements. If we all adapted the attitude of some members, we would be still driving Model Ts!! Now think of this point. Should you, at some future date, decide to swap your keyboard for the latest offering (we have ALL done it sometime!!) then you just might be asked whether your old one is up to speed, uprgrade-wise. Have you ever tried to sell a computer running Windows 95 (or even CPM-86)? No-one wants to know. Of course if you are keeping your lovely keyboard until it qualifies for the Antiques Roadshow, and you don't mind having a slightly lame one, then fine
Mike O'R

#59970 - 08/03/03 03:45 AM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Mike, I think you have missed the point The only reason I will not apply the update is that it has not yet been sanctioned by Technics. I don't know where the upgrades in question originated therefore I will not take the chance of deliberately corrupting my keyboard's firmware. Would you apply an unauthorised, non-manufacturer modification to your top of the range car and take the chance of the engine crashing out in the middle of nowhere ?
I'm happy to wait for the official 'Nod of Approval' from Technics and not worried about being Bang-up-to-date. After all, my KN7000 appears to be working perfectly well.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59971 - 08/03/03 05:44 AM Re: updat kn7000 1.5
Mike ORegan Offline

Hi Bill,
I don't think I missed the point. Upgrades 1.4 and 1.5 are TECHNICS upgrades - not instigated by Taiyo. So, if you buy a new 7000 now, as Bebob has done, it will be Version 1.4. Let me say that, having spoken to several UK Technics Dealers, I have gathered that, for their own reasons, Technics UK are very reluctant (and have been in the past) to release ANY update information. At least a modern update does not involve dismantling the instrument then prising out EPROMs and replacing them (which I have done in the past).
Mike O'R

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online