SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59603 - 04/23/07 01:53 PM Music Lovely Music
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hi All.
I said in a recent e-mail that I would give an outline of my career in music, so here goes.
On June 29, 2007 I will be 79 years old, in all my years my interest and passion to music has never changed. I am still as much in love with music now as I was when I started playing when I was six years old.

I started playing cornet in a brass band in the north of England when I was six years old, I played in brass bands till I was 17 years of age, I played every instrument in the brass band except the trombone.

When I was 17 years old I really got hooked on the big bands of those early days, bands like Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Ted Heath, Joe loss, and many other bands. Harry James was my hero because trumpet was my first love and still remain so,

When I was 17 my father brought me my first trumpet an old gold lacquered instrument with sticking valves and not much lacquer to be honest, nevertheless this is all he could afford and after a few days the valves were no longer sticking, I had ground them in with cigarette ash, something I did very often on different trumpets I bought over the years.

While I was still 17 I was extremely fortunate to find a place with a big band playing second trumpet this was absolutely brilliant I was so much in love with the big bands.
The position was only temporarily the guy I replaced was drafted into the army.
I stayed with the band until I was 18 then I was called up into the Royal air forces where I served in Germany three years, the time in Germany wasn't wasted I met many many people who had the same interests as I in big bands, during the Berlin airlift I was stationed on an American air force camp, this was an ideal at my time of life, because at that time I think the Americans lead the world in big bands.
During my three years in the Royal air force I still played trumpet as often as I could and played with many small bands four and five piece and found this stimulating because I could play at I wanted to. Playing in the big bands in a section we have of course to read all the time, not so in the small bands in fact no music at all was used, so I quickly developed into a busker this was to serve me well in later years.

On returning to civilian life I quickly found another big band to play in and stayed with the band for a long while.

Sport was a passion in my life and I played rugby football for a long time, unfortunately I was very heavily tackled at one time and most of my teeth were loosened, this is really bad for a trumpet player, I developed ulcers on a lot of my teeth and my dentist was most emphatic that if I did not have my teeth removed I was going to be very ill, the ulcers never healed, so out came my teeth, I was devastated and playing the trumpet was no longer possible.

Once I had collected by scattered wits and not having played trumpet for six months,
my father God bless him bought me an auto sax. I practised sometimes as long as six hours a day and my lips were sore and bleeding but nevertheless the passion of music kept me going. I went to my local dance hall and met a friend who was just forming a band and asked me if I was interested in playing with them, I explained I could no longer play the trumpet and I now played saxophone. He said this was not a problem he was looking for sax players, I said it may not be a problem for him but it was a problem for me I was only a learner. This he said did not matter he needed someone to play and was having great difficulty in finding players. So I said okay.
We rehearsed every night and very often Saturday and Sunday afternoons, I was getting so much practice in and of course I could already read, so was a matter of learning the instrument, when we had a steady complement of musicians I was probably holding my own in reading and playing, I was asked if I wish to stay with the band, yes, gleefully I said I would love to stay.
I stayed with the band for many years and eventually became leader of the band,

We were never out of work the band was quite good and all the musicians were friends with each other which is always good,
we stayed together until the Beatles and Rolling Stones came on the scene and completely put paid to the big bands, who wants to pay 17 musicians, when only four people with large amplifiers and loud guitars could make such a big sound.

At this time I would be about 25 years old and had started to play in the brass bands again, I found I could still play trumpet reasonably well although my lip soon got tired this was of course to lack of practice on the instrument. When playing in the big bands I was a featured vocalist, I had played around with the idea now for two or three years to do cabaret on a full-time basis, so for many years I played all over Europe and the British Isles, playing trumpet, saxophone, and vocals, I had some success in this venture and at one time I was voted cabaret artist of the year 1968 that's a long while ago.
I did night clubs for many years, then I began to realise I was no longer a young man and carrying heavy equipment amplifiers and instruments music and suits was coming a bit to much, One Night I was playing at a hotel in Blackpool Northern England, I was playing an organ that was on stage, the owner of the hotel was listening to me playing and asked if I could play for him the night after, I said sorry I was fully booked on the cabaret circuit and didn't have a free date a month.
He booked the free date I had and on the night I played there I played the organ and sang, I did not play the trumpet or the saxophone, the owner was pleased with my performance and asked if I would play again I said yes I would, I had enjoyed it.

I honoured the bookings I had on the cabaret circuit and then went to play at his hotel.
I stayed there the 12 years playing five nights a week.
I played my last gig there when I was 77 years old.

January 2006 I broke my leg in two places and also broke my ankle. I have not played since then, and I now feel too old to carry on playing. The spirit is still willing but!!!!
I was happily married for 54 years but alas I lost my wife in August 2006, maybe this has some bearing on the fact but I don't really want to play again professionally.

I make myself available to entertain people of my age who live in sheltered accommodation, and can no longer get out to listen to live entertainment.

Well that's a bit of a me, I would love to hear all about you, and maybe this could be a new talking point on our wonderful Synthzone.

Come on guys and gals take up the challenge tell me about yourselves.
Sincerely.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Baron (edited 04-25-2007).]

#59604 - 04/23/07 04:38 PM Re: Music Lovely Music
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Joe, I don’t know if I should cry, laugh or be in awe. Your life has been filled with many of the dreams that most of us never seem to reach.

To be able to reflect on a life that has taken you through some fantastic musical experiences – must leave you with a smile. How does it go, “I did it my way”. As seniors the biggest part of our life are memories, both good and bad. Your life has been blessed in many ways – Having the pleasure of your wife for 54 years, truly a gift – Musical experiences throughout your many years --- A drive to be filled with music and share it with others – and longevity, there are many who never made 79.

Joe, thank you so much for sharing your life, I feel I know so much more about you, you are no longer just a name on the forum. Please keep singing, playing and sharing you’re a blessing to this forum.

God has blessed you Joe, John C.

PS, You have started a good string on this forum – Let’s all tell a bit about ourselves.

#59605 - 04/25/07 06:16 AM Re: Music Lovely Music
Joe Baron Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
Joe, I don’t know if I should cry, laugh or be in awe. Your life has been filled with many of the dreams that most of us never seem to reach. PS, You have started a good string on this forum – Let’s all tell a bit about ourselves.
[/QUOTE

Hi John.
Thanks, I was hoping to start a string,How about yourself John.I would love to hear your experience in music!!!
kind reagards.
Joe

#59606 - 04/25/07 10:53 AM Re: Music Lovely Music
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Joe - you must be rich with experience about music - us englishmen ought to get together sometime for a good old chat about this strange thing that keeps us together...
and Blackpool sounds a great place to meet up.
I don't have your lifetimes experience in music but probably became aware of music around the time the Beatles arrived on the scene...
I played a piano until me mum told me I needed to go out and earn a living which I then did for 35 years following which retirement gave me the opportunity to go back to those things which I had enjoyed as a youngster and keyboards became my passion...
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 04-25-2007).]

#59607 - 04/25/07 01:14 PM Re: Music Lovely Music
Joe Baron Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RMepstead:
us englishmen ought to get together sometime for a good old chat about this strange thing that keeps us together...
and Blackpool sounds a great place to meet up.
Hi Rog.
What a great idea I would go anywhere in the UK to meet all you great guys.
I wonder if this is a start to a dream of mine putting faces to a name.
Regards.
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Baron (edited 04-25-2007).]

#59608 - 04/25/07 01:34 PM Re: Music Lovely Music
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
"" us englishmen ought to get together sometime for a good old chat about this strange thing that keeps us together...
and Blackpool sounds a great place to meet up.""

Hi Roger - you say us englishmen!!! Shame on you - what about us women!!!

You suggest Blackpool - I should give you fair warning - they talk funny up there!!!! Not me though - I am from Yorkshire!!!! Joan

#59609 - 04/25/07 02:34 PM Re: Music Lovely Music
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Folks,
Sounds a great idea to me,if they can do it in the states lets do it over here!. We used to have great organ festivals why not one for Technics Keyboards!
Regards John.

#59610 - 04/26/07 12:38 AM Re: Music Lovely Music
RMepstead Offline

Well that's around half a dozen of us men and women without even trying Joe...
So let's ask all engl - no I better say British people (phew - got over that one) - to at least respond to this message on here if they're interested, yes Colin L...
Rog
p.s. Joe - do you know a good hall somewhere near where you live?

#59611 - 04/26/07 01:50 AM Re: Music Lovely Music
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
A Technics Chat/Jam in England fantastic – We Americans are always teaching you how to do great things. Ha ha ha ha

How are you Rog, miss your company – How is Peter? Phyllis listened to his CD on our trip to visit Bernie, we could do nothing but smile and remember our time together.

John C.

#59612 - 04/26/07 02:44 AM Re: Music Lovely Music
RMepstead Offline

Hi John
I'm just about getting over the jetlag, ta...
You mustn't forget that the very first get together was organised by Willum here in the UK in Yorkshire about 4-5 years ago, and included at least one American...
So you chaps want to come over too...?
Rog
p.s. Unique place Blackpool - a bit like Orlando but only a bit...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online