SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59440 - 08/09/06 10:00 AM Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Okay,
It seems as though you all are curious about how style conversions are made.

First I’d like to tell you something you all know. You the most polite and generous people I know. Thank you for your comments.

I run a Mac. So, using StyleWorks is not an option. I’m not sure I’d spend the money if I had a PC. Here is my procedure:

I record each variation of the Yamaha style in the key of C. I generally hit a single piano note at the beginning of each variation to identify the start of the pattern.

As you know the Yamaha sequencer generates a MIDI file, which I transfer to a floppy.

I load the MIDI file into the 7K and note the “measure location” of the Intro, Ending and each Variation.

Press Program Menu, then Composer, and then Seq to Composer.

Since all is in C, it is just a matter of selecting the measure, Composer location and instruments, located in the Sequencer Mixer, for each pattern location.

Then in the Composer I change the instruments to suit my taste and adjust the volume.
From time to time I will also extend the pattern from 4 to 8 measures, which allows me to introduce a counter melody into the pattern which might start in the third measure.

I hope this is clear enough and of some value to you all.

Frank

#59441 - 08/11/06 12:20 AM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Frank,
Thanks for your post it’s informative. Would you go into more detail in some areas?
Quote:
“I record each variation of the Yamaha style in the key of C. I generally hit a single piano note at the beginning of each variation to identify the start of the pattern”.
Record where? Record how? Do you mean copy the style to a floppy disk?

Quote:
“I load the MIDI file into the 7K and note the “measure location” of the Intro, Ending and each Variation”.

Nice, but what does mean. Where are you checking the location?

Quote:
“Since all is in C, it is just a matter of selecting the measure, Composer location and instruments, located in the Sequencer Mixer, for each pattern location”.

Please go in depth – This needs clarification.

Quote:
“From time to time I will also extend the pattern from 4 to 8 measures”.

How do you extend the pattern?

Frank if you would, it would be appreciated.

John C.

#59442 - 08/12/06 06:46 AM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi John,

I’m sorry to respond so slowly. At times my health care responsibilities interfere with my true love, music. Please keep in mind I’m just a self taught amateur and may not be able to answer your questions with great precision.

Converting Yamaha styles to the KN7000 starts with recording the Yamaha styles on the Yamaha sequencer very much like you would record on the 7K. Yamaha sequencers generate MIDI files which in the case of the PSR 3000 must be saved to a 3 volt Smart Media card. The Smart Media cards look very much like the SD card used in the 7K.

In order to get the MIDI file into the 7K, I transfer the style file from the Smart Media card to a floppy disk using my computer to do the transfer. I use a floppy because the MIDI files are small and it seems like over kill to use the SD card.

After the floppy is loaded into the 7K, I play the sequence and write down the measure on which each component of the style starts and stops, while watching the Sequencer window. As I mentioned before by recording a single piano note at the start of each variation the components are easily located.

The tracks where the instruments used in the style, can be found by clicking the Mixer on the Sequencer window.

With the info above noted, click the Composer button and then the Seq to Composer button. Now one by one you will need to note the start and the end of each component of the style. You are already in the key of C and you must select where you want the file placed in Composer Memory. On the far right of the window insert the track you want for each of the instrument parts of the Composer patterns. When complete, press OK. Repeat for each Composer part.

When all the parts are moved to the Composer you can substitute the MIDI instruments for your favorite Technics instruments. You can extend the length of any pattern by changing the number of measures in the pattern window. Going from 4 to 8 measures will play the pattern one extra time, thus allowing a new counter melody to be added to the pattern that doesn’t have to start on the first beat, thus sounding less mechanical.

While we have been talking about converting Yamaha files, this technique works very well with standard MIDI files and is a great source for drum and bass lines on which to build new Composer patterns.

That’s the best that I can do.

Frank

#59443 - 08/14/06 12:47 PM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Frank, you're special, thank you so much.
John C.

#59444 - 09/09/06 04:33 AM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
katrina Offline

Loc: Colchester, UK
Dear Frank, I too found that very interesting. Thanks

#59445 - 09/09/06 11:31 AM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Hey folks, if you look around the net at different keyboard sites, you may find what you are looking for. I found a Roland site that had converted the Yamaha Tyros to Roland E86 format, so it was a simple matter to download the files and use the Technics converter to add the styles to my archive. If you already have the presets from the Yamaha CVP209, you will have many from the Tyros. Happy hunting. Sorry, I can't remember which Roland site it was, but I got to it from this location.

#59446 - 09/09/06 12:38 PM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Good work Frank and thanks for the explanation.
Allow me to add some of my experiences to help interested keyboarders further to make an own style?
If you whish please visit Tips&Tricks, nr. E2 and E3 on my website. Maybe you get inspired ....
Greetings,
Cees
P.S. I have the intention to collect websiteadresses with styles from the named keyboardbrands which can be (easily) converted with the Conversion-disk of the KN7000. Those weblinks I could put on my website for future interested. Still an idea. As I am just leaving for a vacation, maybe I will post this idea lateron to see if it can be done, with your help ofcourse .

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 09-09-2006).]

#59447 - 09/09/06 07:28 PM Re: Converting Yamaha Styles in Love Songs
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
another option for kn owners that don't own psr's but do own pc's would be software called One Man Band (or Busker would probably even work.)
Both of these programs load PSR styles.
Simple case of doing a drop n drag of the psr style parts , intro's endings etc
( works a bit like Band in a Box ) Type in your C Chord. Save as midifile.
Then continue on as Frank explained.
You do get the occasional incorrect drum playing because PSR is drum mapped to xg wheras Technics isn't, just need to be edited in the composer.

There is also the option of just changing psr ".sty" extension to " . mid" you end up with a midifile of the style, problem is psr styles are based on a maj7th chord not neccesarily a cmaj7 either. Could be a bit fiddly editing it to get a good midifile .

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online