SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58690 - 01/04/04 01:57 PM A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have seen a number of people totally exasperated by the Technics keyboards. The people come here to get some help and after they got the help they wonder why they even bothered to ask.
There are many here who are real "gurus" who have forgotten what it was like to be faced with trying to do something on your first complicated keyboard. We tend to give explanations that only other "gurus" can really understand.
New People need STEP BY STEP help. Please think about that when you are trying to help someone understand a procedure on their new keyboard.
New Members please be very specific with your questions. Advise what keyboard you are working with and what you have done so far and what happened so we can duplicate your problem.
Thank you to all

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 01-04-2004).]

#58691 - 01/04/04 06:09 PM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Bebop? You're one heck of a nice guy to ask the group to be more specific when helping the new players. My hats off to you.

How about that members. Isn't he great?

#58692 - 01/04/04 10:59 PM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
Ann in New Zealand Offline

Loc: New Zealand
When I first joined the Forum one of the members told me that the only "dumb" question was the one that I didn't ask! That's why I think Bebop and ALL the Forum members are great. Everyone is only too happy to answer any questions and you only need to ask if you need further clarification. Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge with those of us who are still learning about our keyboards. Your willing assistance is very much appreciated.

#58693 - 01/05/04 12:32 AM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lrngkybrd:
[B]Bebop? You're one heck of a nice guy to ask the group to be more specific when helping the new players. My hats off to you.

Yes Irngkybrd,This is a great place with bunches of nice gals ans guys. First of all, what is your first name? Or, what would you like to be called?

Second, I need you to be specific when asking a question. The desire to help is there, but I must understand.

Third, I am not always sure that all questions have answers, so if you do not recieve an answer, try a different approach to the same subject.

Cheers, John C.

#58694 - 01/05/04 01:18 AM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
I can repeat what Bebop said at the start of this discussion. We're new members and (June '03) new Technics owners, however we've had years of experience we keyboards, computers and MIDI.

As new members we're only too willing to share our knowledge but it's only that, knowledge. If somebody asks you a question you might end up going into full-technical mode without realising how capable that person is. So, please, as Bebop asked, if you have a question give us a clue as to how 'clued-up' you are.

More questions and discussions please, but with details.

Happy surfing,

Michie

#58695 - 01/05/04 05:35 AM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
waightkl Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
I can only add to what Bebop has said. Our local Keyboard club ( Keyboard Capers, Swindon UK ) exists to try and let people help each other with the "techie" details of their keyboards. What I constantly find is that you can help people to get greater enjoyment from their instrumnets by demonstrating some quite basic functions in a step-by-step fashion. I thought at first that this would be regarded as patronising, but it is so rewarding to hear people say "Oh I didn't know you could do that - I must get home and give that a try". It took me a while to realise this. This is a classic interpersonal communications issue and it definitely helps if both parties know where the other is atsrting from.

These boards are so complex, and the standard manufacturer instruction manuals so pathetic, that many owners are not even aware that certain things are possible with the board, never mind how to activate them. On an international forum such as this, where face-to-face communication is not possible, it's also important to recognise that English is not everyone's first language, to say nothing of the occasions when the differences between US and UK English trip us up.

These boards are not cheap, and its such a shame when people can't get the full benefit from them simply because no-one has taken the time & trouble to show what is possible.

Thanks to all and lets keep helping each other. You never know - it may catch on as a way to live in other ways as well !

Here's hoping

Keith

#58696 - 01/05/04 05:47 AM Re: A Personal Note to all New Members or Players of Technics Keyboards
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Yes all this is true, but let it be known that many appreciate the more advanced Q & A also.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online