SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58456 - 09/01/03 03:41 AM Working with Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have posted how I use the Panel Memory (normal not extended) with a demos a while back.

How does everyone feel about posting the set-ups on Banks/Memory when using the Panel memory (expanded)to display the name of the song, and selection of instruments and volumes, (ect)?

John C.

#58457 - 09/01/03 06:46 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi John
Yes please!!!!
I got lots of ideas from your first demo's and would be very grateful for any more you care to post. This site has to be the best for helpful people all around the world. Pity this attitude couldn't spread up through the "food chain" a bit.
Best regards
Eddie

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
I have posted how I use the Panel Memory (normal not extended) with a demos a while back.

How does everyone feel about posting the set-ups on Banks/Memory when using the Panel memory (expanded)to display the name of the song, and selection of instruments and volumes, (ect)?

John C.

#58458 - 09/01/03 07:15 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
John,

Posting info on how you use PM's etc is a very useful topic for this forum. I guess many of us are lacking when it comes to acknowledging the contributions made by others, but I'm sure others would agree that pro-active advice is appreciated just as much as problem-solving advice.

Regards,
Mike

#58459 - 09/01/03 10:43 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
bassclef Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi John,

I've found your July post on Panel Memory (and the resulting discussion) most interesting and educational. I have printed the whole session out (nine pages) and often refer back to the treasure-house of information contained therein.

Any similar discussions relating to associated subject matter would be much valued addition and aid to enhancing our understanding and appreciation of the KN7.

So, yes please John, go ahead! My most sincere thanks and gratitude to you and fellow forum members, for giving your time and for sharing your talent.

Regards,
George

#58460 - 09/02/03 04:47 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey George,

Which of the July posts by John C. (Bruno 123) are you referring to? Nine pages??? Thanks for the info.

TER

#58461 - 09/02/03 07:33 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rose:
Hey George,

Which of the July posts by John C. (Bruno 123) are you referring to? Nine pages??? Thanks for the info.

TER

Ted, Just click on Search that is top right here under post new topic and type in:
bruno123 to see all of John's Posts,
or anybody else's for that matter.
best to all
Bebop

#58462 - 09/02/03 09:03 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
John, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. Is it info on setting up PM's in expand mode, or what people prefer to use for recording? Personally, I use normal mode while converting styles to keep everything in order and at the settings I chose at the moment for archiving the style. When I start recording, I will use expand mode to set up every change necessary for the particular song so I can move through the PM changes with my foot switch in an orderly fashion. One has to be careful with expand mode, because strange things can happen for no apparent reason. Take the extra time to double check your settings and you will have no problems - get in a hurry by cutting corners and you'll end up starting over or using the sequencer editor more than you want. Expand mode sets up everything you need for each PM or Variation move, whichever you make changes with, and that includes instrumentation, tempo, style, and pads. You can do all this without having to use extra tracks, but the door is wide open to use whatever necessary to complete your goal. Composing entails a little more need for detail than just playing, and expand mode gives you that control, however if you've ever been playing a song and while switching PM's had everything go haywire, then chances are you're in expand mode. Switch to normal mode and the weird disappears. It's just another tool in your kit bag - use it a little or a lot - your choice. Experiment with it and you'll learn a lot firsthand.

#58463 - 09/02/03 11:58 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
bassclef Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rose:
Hey George,

TER

Hi Ted,

The nine pages included the original post AND all the comments it generated.

In case you haven't found it yet, the topic was "Creating registrations -Panel Memory" and John C. posted it on July 25th last.

Regards,
George

#58464 - 09/03/03 12:32 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory

Let me clarify---My last Panel Memory post was about Normal Panel memory. I use it often, having different kinds of bands/orchestras in my Panel Memory and all I have to do is press a button, great. As you playing a song you can add any part of a band/orchestra as you feel it. Such freedom of expression.
But----there are times when you trade some of that freedom to do a better/more efficient job, and that's Extended Panel memory. The value of using EXP to play a set of songs increases over time.
Example: A few keyboards ago I put the set-up for New York, New York in my EPM. Since then I have made changes to fit the new keyboards and refined areas as my knowledge and ability grew.
Yes, Bud Whipple is right, there are so many hidden areas to be concerned about, and this can cause some problems. But----Over a period of time the set of songs has improved, and so has my knowledge of EXP.

I am going to send Bebop some of my EXP settings that I use when playing a job, he will let me know how to get them to you. My set-up will demo EPM. If anyone wishes to use it, that's just fine, but the thought is to demo--our taste in music are not all the same. I hope this will open an area where we will all share not just our songs, but how we set up our EPM when we play out or at home. SHARING HOW WE USE OUR KEYBOARD--Many times this is better than the book, it's by example.

Have a great day, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 09-03-2003).]

#58465 - 09/03/03 07:56 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory
BEBOP Offline

HI JOHN C.
Send your material over and I will forward it to everyone currently on the email lists. Be sure to advise me which keyboard email lists it should go to.
Thank you John, We appreciate the work and sharing you do for us.
Best to you and all
Bebop

#58466 - 09/03/03 04:35 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
Tony Lawton Offline

Loc: England
Hi John,
yes please, anything to further my knowledge of this techie stuff would be most appreciated. In your last article I asked if it were possible to get the example files for the KN6500 and you said you still had them for the KN6500. I would still like to receive them if possible.
Thank you
Tony Lawton

#58467 - 09/03/03 08:05 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
BEBOP Offline

I have just emailed the doc referred to in this thread from John C to all current KN7000 email list members.
Thanks John for sharing yourself with our forum members.
Best to all
Bebop

#58468 - 09/06/03 08:52 AM Re: Working with Panel Memory

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
[B]I have posted how I use the Panel Memory (normal not extended) with a demos a while back.

My main reason for sending out my Extended Panel Memory was to help/show how "I" am using the EPM. Some of the set-ups will not appeal to everyone.

When I select a new group of songs, I write a new set-up.

I was asked to play at church---I researched the songs they wanted, and the keys they wanted them played--added some of my own, and then wrote another set-up.

When I played for the Senior group, I did the same thing---wrote a set-up.

These set-ups are constantly updated.
I feel for live playing, there is no better tool on the Kn7000. You are prepared for any situation. It also has it's place when playing at home for guests, or for your own enjoyment.

I do alternate to Normal Panel Memory to increase my freedom.

When I play or listen to music, I am in a specil place--what a blessing, John C.

#58469 - 09/06/03 06:14 PM Re: Working with Panel Memory
BEBOP Offline

HI ALL,
Here is the addy to go to the original posts back on July 25th I think it was. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/001826.html
I am just now looking into this last zip file from John with the great setups all edited and ready to play in 13 panels. Just awesome John.
I sure do appreciate you work. Especially because you all had this keyboard for a year before I did and I am just starting to catch up.
I love these setups and have been playing a lot of songs all afternoon that I didn't know I even knew any more.
I used to play horns in big bands and I feel like I died and went to heaven playing all these great songs that were favorites for so many years.
Thank you John C.
Best to all
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online