SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#578 - 02/16/02 08:10 AM Help choosing synth
tails Offline

The last time I bought a synth was the CS1x in 1998 so it's been a while. I'm looking to buy a new synth/workstation, an all rounder suitable for everything from dance music to realistic acoustic instruments (piano, strings, percs etc.) The sounds have to be tweakable too! Sequencer is not important as I use Cubase. I have audtioned the Trinity, Triton and XP80. I liked the Korgs more than the Roland. I've also read some good reviews on the EX5 but have never played it before. So the Triton is a pretty strong choice for me at the moment. The Motif looks good but is out of my budget. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#579 - 02/16/02 01:44 PM Re: Help choosing synth
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
I've tested the EX-5 at a dealer. In my opinion it sounds better than a Triton. But what about the Trinity with the Prophecy-board integrated?
By the way: I don't like Korg's keys, Yamaha, Roland and Kurzweil produce better keys.

Is the Motif more expensive than the Triton?

[This message has been edited by Stalker (edited 02-16-2002).]

#580 - 02/16/02 06:03 PM Re: Help choosing synth
tails Offline

I forgot to mention that I can get a used (but in excellent condition) Triton for a lot less than a Motif 7. I might check the Motif 6.

Btw, I thought Korg uses Yamaha keys?

Thanks for the reply

#581 - 02/17/02 08:16 AM Re: Help choosing synth
Stalker Offline

But the Triton would have 61 keys, yes?

I don't know if Korg uses Yamaha keys, but the feeling on a Yamaha keyboard is much better than the feeling on a Korg keyboard. The best keys in my opinion have Roland, Kurzweil and the Novation SupernovaII (as well as some Quasimidi-boards).

But I know that Roland uses (cheaper) Fatar keys.

#582 - 02/17/02 02:29 PM Re: Help choosing synth
tails Offline

I've read that the EX5 has some bugs in the OS still unfixed, so a bit wary on that.

Yes the basic Triton has 61 keys, which is not really a major concern for me but I can still get the Triton Pro (76 keys) for less than a Motif 7.

#583 - 02/18/02 08:50 AM Re: Help choosing synth
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
I had an EX7, very similar to the ex5.
It sounded great, but yes was very buggy too. That was a while ago.
The instructions for the EX5/7 suck. any yamaha instructions suck, makking navigation rough and unpleasant. But see for yourself.
Always read the manual before you buy a synth. It helps oout alot.
the EX-5 has sampling capabilities, which is a huge bonus. I think the MOtif 7 does too but Im not sure, im not into all-in-one synths anymore. I keep my keyboard rig modular with midi controllers.(cause you can break the keys with out breaking the synth!)
All in all, i do not recomend the EX5, anything yamaha, (except A4000/5000) or anything built by roland in the last 10 years.(crappy ROM synth sounds)
Korg makes some good sounding synths, If i were to buy a new one, it would probably be a korg, but hey.... Thats me.

#584 - 02/18/02 05:09 PM Re: Help choosing synth
tails Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by optinone:
All in all, i do not recomend the EX5, anything yamaha, (except A4000/5000) or anything built by roland in the last 10 years.(crappy ROM synth sounds)

I agree except for one... the JP8000! Auditioned it when it was launched and still one of the best synth I've played. Definitely getting one.

That's the thing, I'm having the mindset where I already have a Yamaha (CS1x), plan to get a Roland (JP8000), and complete the combi with a Korg (Triton) which will give me a varied combinations of sounds... right? Also not forgetting my old faithful Casio CZ1000!!

#585 - 02/25/02 09:00 AM Re: Help choosing synth
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Excuse me your right, the JP-8000 or 8080 is a good sounding synth, easy to use, very creative tool.

#586 - 02/25/02 12:03 PM Re: Help choosing synth
Stalker Offline

The XP and the JP can sound very similar. I like the JP8000 (especially the GREAT arpeggiator), but in my opinion it nearly sounds like any other Roland (which I like very much, too).

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online