SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5834 - 01/30/06 07:19 AM Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I just bought a used Fatar Studio 90 Plus from ebay. I'm really tired of lugging my S90 twice a week to church. So my plan was to get a weighted controller and leave it at church. I'll then just lugh my Roland JV1080 twice a week. Eventually, I hope to pick up a Motif Rack...

Anyway, does anyone have any comments/reviews they could make on the Fatar Studio 90 Plus? I'm a little nervous but up it will work out for me. I could only make my purchase based on reading the documentation from Fatar's website. I think I'll be able to change "programs" live with a foot switch and am hoping I can send patches changes or at least turn on and off zones live with no sound cut out... I'm also hoping this used one shows up in good working condition and feels good....

So if anyone can offer any comments good or bad about this unit, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Bob
<><

#5835 - 01/31/06 01:21 AM Re: Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I haven't played or seen the Studio 90 but if it is up to Fatar's usual standard you'll be very happy with it as a controller. I have owned a Fatar SL-990 for four years and it has a fantastic weighted feel. I tried quite a few weighted keyboards when I got it and decided the Fatars had the most convincing piano action.

I think you'll be very satisfied when your controller arrives. Please post a followup to this when you finally get it to let us know how it is to use.

#5836 - 02/02/06 12:57 PM Re: Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
RW Offline

Thanks for the response Nigel. At one time I had a Fatar SL-880 and yes, I truly dug the feel. It was nicely weighted with hammer action. I will certainly post a mini review of the Studio 90 Plus once I get it.

Bob
<><

#5837 - 02/23/06 12:59 PM Re: Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
RW Offline

The Studio 90 Plus arrived a few weeks ago and so far, I am happy with it. It feels like there are springs bringing the keys back up, which gives it a pretty fast action and yet it is weighted. I believe it's a hammer action. It feels preyy good. Not great, but certainly its feel is not an issue with me. It can send on only 3 channels/zones at once and is a bit limited to only about 6 parameters for each zone. Things that can be changed are:
note range (for splits)
Midi channel
transpose
octaves
velocity sensitivity
program cahnge

thats about it. it takes a few button presses to change any parm. You hit parameter, hit enter (to choose what you want to change per zone). Then you hit a value, then enter.

For example if I want to change midi channel in zone one to 15.

I hit parameter button, then enter the number 10 (all 18 parameters are written on the keyboard. Parm 10 is specifically for midi channel - zone 1) then enter. Then enter the number 15, then enter.

Pretty simple.

The one I have is built into a road case, which I'm happy about. The top closes over the botton and its ready for transport or at least very protected.

I actually leave it at the church. I close the top on it and just leave it on the stand.

Very good deal. I paid 310 for it and was very happy with the deal and although the feel isn't the greatest, it's still fine enough to play without there being any issues with.

Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 02-23-2006).]

#5838 - 02/23/06 09:16 PM Re: Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks very much for the update Bob. How does the action feel compared with the 880 you used to have? I know my 990 doesn't feel like it has springs in the key action. But at least it sounds like it will provide you with a better feel at the church where you have it set up permanently.

#5839 - 02/27/06 07:35 AM Re: Fatar Studio 90 Plus, anyone?
RW Offline

Hi Nigel,

Yes I did have the SL-880 and I must say, the 880 felt much better for me. I like a heavier feel and the 880 feels heavier. I really did like the feel of the 880. I've played the 990 in Guitar Center and preferred the 880 to the 990. The 880 felt heavier than the 990. It's been a while since I felt a 990.

One thing also with the Studio 90 Plus that I noticed is the black keys go do to almost the top of the white keys. When I play the first inversion of a D chord and I use the thumb of my right hand to hit the F#, while the F# is depressed I can feel the adjacent F and G with the flesh of my thumb that hangs ever so slightly over the F# (if you know what I'm trying to say). I don't care for this, but I'm getting used to it and it's causing me to put a slight more arc in my hand, which I'm not particularly hay about.

When I want to play soft and smooth I take arc out of my hand and so my fingers sort of creep from chord to chord. With my hand arced more, I play a little less smoothly, which depending on the piece or my mood may be what I want..

anyway.... I think the 880 is a great feeling board. But that board is even less user friendly to change parms on.

Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online