SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#58322 - 12/07/02 08:37 AM How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
How do you roll up a half a dozen organ consoles into one bundle and slide it under your arm? Walk into your next engagement, set the bundle on a stand, give it a little juice, and it bursts into the most magnificent array of organ music you ever laid your ears on?

Walt Tenay just sent me the answer. Walt, I don't know how you came up with this but I still find it hard to believe what my ears are telling me. I'll bet you will share this with others if they will ask. I can only take pity on you if you don't ask.

Grandpa Doug

#58323 - 12/07/02 10:10 AM Re: How Do You?????
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Walt,

I'm asking! I'm asking? What's Grandpa going on about?

Ogre

#58324 - 12/07/02 02:40 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Could it be something to do with a KN7000 ... with maybe Walt in the Driving seat??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58325 - 12/07/02 03:14 PM Re: How Do You?????
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Maybe he has heard me playing!!!! Walter.

#58326 - 12/07/02 03:40 PM Re: How Do You?????
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I just forwarded the KN7000 Organ files Walt Tenay sent in several days ago to everyone on my technics email list. I have been so busy catching up since returning from a week at the beach that I overlooked forwarding these to you all. Sorry Walt.
Thanks to Doug here for reminding me to "get on with the program"
Best to all
Bebop

#58327 - 12/07/02 04:23 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

All has been revealed... and WOW! WOW! WOWEEE!!
This is just AMAZING - if anyone had any doubts about the organ sounds on the KN7000 then this should knock them for SIX and the performances are absolutely super. This guy is a Star!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#58328 - 12/07/02 10:22 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Not only that but turn off the sequencer and now you have all his registrations in the panel memories plus the four in MSA with the variations. Play and play until your eyes bleed!

Drooling Grampa Doug

#58329 - 12/08/02 02:11 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

YEP! Been there, Done that
Forgot to say 'Thanks to BEBOP' for passing on the files.
If you've got a 7000 and haven't got these files, drop BEBOP a request - they are a MUST for your collection.
Song Number 3 really gets Groovin'........

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 12-08-2002).]

Aldous Huxley

#58330 - 12/08/02 09:16 AM Re: How Do You?????
technicsplayer Offline

these files have been available on taiyo for some time - in fact I sent them to Walt in the first place!

#58331 - 12/08/02 09:51 AM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Perhaps someone would be so kind as to transfer these files into an MP3 so those who do not have, or are waiting for the 7000 to arrive can also listen
Thank You , Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58332 - 12/08/02 10:20 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

l knew it, I just knew it. Where all the good stuff is that's where you'll find Alec with his finger in it.

Grandpa, not suprised, Doug

#58333 - 12/08/02 01:46 PM Re: How Do You?????
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Larry (and other interested members),
if you want to hear the beautifull organdemo, I've made an MP3-file which you can download from my homepage. Go to the synthzone-button, under KN7000-stuff.
Greetings,
Cees

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Perhaps someone would be so kind as to transfer these files into an MP3 so those who do not have, or are waiting for the 7000 to arrive can also listen
Thank You , Larry Hawk

#58334 - 12/08/02 03:36 PM Re: How Do You?????
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thanks to Cees for your work on this. You have enabled many of our members to hear this fine instrument and work, that do not yet have a KN7000 Keyboard. Maybe it will motivate them down to the local dealer to get their order in.
This sounds like Joey de Francisco and a tune he did a few years ago for Ensoniq. I have it in my EPS 16 plus sampler. I will have to play it and see if it is the same arrangement.
Thanks again
Bebop

#58335 - 12/08/02 05:44 PM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

Thanks Cees,
That was very impressive. (Are you sure that wasn't a Hammond B3?) After listening to the fine performace with the perfect jazz organ sound, I'm convinced my goal is the 7000 !
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58336 - 12/09/02 02:34 PM Re: How Do You?????
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
The organdemo was impressive. I thought there was one single song on the file. I didn't click on the sequencersong-change. I'm glad that some member pointed me that there were 10! songs in the sequencer. Oh my oh my, my ears ( and I really ment my ears! ) had a lovely massage when I heard the other compositions too.
If time is on my side (and my homepage-space allows that) I will try to put them too coming weekend on my homepage in mp3-format. I will post this forum as soon I succeed in dooing this.
With musical greetings,
Cees.

#58337 - 12/09/02 04:39 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Cees,

I'm kind of glad you did not do all of the files at one time. I would not like to see Larrys ears bleeding and his tongue scraping the floor along with some of the other guys. My brother has and plays the Hammond. He is one of those purest types. My KN's have always been sort of toys in his opinion along with all keyboards. Now I think his purest ideas have become contaminated. The other day Jim and his wife came over and we plunked ourselves in the kitchen as always. After a while I snuck in the other room where my new 7 resides. Fired her up and ripped off a couple. In a few minutes drifting into my ears was: What the H, did he finally break down and get one? Then I see this six foot tall and three foot in diameter brother of mine ambling through the door. His expression, I don't have the command enough of the english language, to paint with words. The only other words I heard were: Lets go and play some pinocle. And that was that!

Grandpa Doug

#58338 - 12/10/02 01:50 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hey Doug, What's this 'Pinocle' ? ... Some kinda new fangled musical device??
Is it an Americanism or am I just higgorant?

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58339 - 12/10/02 11:21 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Bill,

What is Pinochle? A card game played by four players. Players sitting opposite each other are partners. Bidding one's hand is a key element of the game. The winning bidder names the trump suit of cards (Spades, Diamonds etc.) and a score is kept which determines the winning team. Counting cards played, especially trump cards, is also an essential element of the game. Actually, the game is often played by two players going head to head. Its a great game. Now Bill, please don't tell me you knew all of this beforehand and you were just pulling Grandpa Doug's leg when you asked "What is Pinochle". If that is the case I'm afraid I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker! Ha!

Cheers, Chuck

#58340 - 12/10/02 12:14 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Chuck, Howya Doin' ? No I wasn't joking - your description sounds very like a card game called Bridge or maybe Whist.
How can someone even think about playing cards, when such a beautiful instrument is available in the next room ?

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58341 - 12/10/02 03:01 PM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Bill,

I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. I was over your way today doing some shopping at RAF Menwith Hill near Harrogate. Very windy and cold as you know. Brrrr!

Yes, I believe the game of Pinochle is similar to Bridge, but never having played Bridge, I cannot confirm it.

I can tell from the posts that all of you who have the KN7000 are thoroughly enjoying the instrument. The comments from all over our Technics (read SynthZone/Technote forum) world have been positive. By the time the KN8000 (or maybe KN7500?) hits the shops, I'll be ready to buy.

By the way, a deck of Pinochle cards are quite different from a standard deck of playing cards. A Pinochle deck consists of six cards in each suit: 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace, if my memory is any good. It has been at least 35 years (maybe more) since I played the game. Grandpa Doug can confirm it I'm sure.

And while I'm here I want to say another "thank you" to you, John (North), for giving me the carrying case for my KN6000. I see you have another set of songs for download - KN7000 only, of course. Wish I could hear your compositions because you play so well, but I'll be satisfied with those you created earlier on the KN6000 until I upgrade when the next generation becomes available.

All of you great forum friends take care!

Warm Regards, Chuck

#58342 - 12/10/02 03:33 PM Re: How Do You?????
rdr Offline

Loc: PA US
I'm a pinochle buff, having played it for years. First learned in while in the service. There's a link to a site on my website that has a free download of the game. Page down to the bottom of the third column and look for the queen of spades and jack of diamonds http://www.charterpa.net/rdross/

Dave Ross

#58343 - 12/10/02 03:44 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for the explanations guys, Hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58344 - 12/10/02 06:55 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Ya know Willum? That’s one heck of a good question. That’s a card game, we have played all of my life. When I was in the Navy, floating around the north and south pacific for a few years we played that game almost every day. I have said that word a million times but I believe this is the first time I ever spelled and wrote that word. Strange now that you bring it up. I really don’t know if pinocle is spelled penocle, piknockle, peenuckle, oh rats, I give up. Sometimes I think they should teach you Brits the english language over there. In fact, there is a lot of things you do over there I don't really dig. You, for instance, dress up your cars. You drive them around all decked out with boots and bonnets I understand. Very proper, indeed. As long as were on the subject of what is what, I understand what ‘an Americanism’ means’ but what in world are you when you say you might be ‘just higgorant’. Higgorant?

No sense of me explaining the game any further. Chuck and the guys got it pretty well nailed down.

Higgorant??

Grandpa Doug

#58345 - 12/11/02 12:48 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

My Dear Grandpa Doug,

I'm a transplanted Yank living in Britain and I am going to come to the defense of my British friends. Not that my British friends need defending. They are quite formidable defenders in their own right. But perhaps they will allow me to intercede on their behalf just once.

In truth, Americans speak a version of the English language. The purest form of the language is spoken here in the UK. We Americans have added to or modified the language to meet our needs throughout our history (and the same is true of any English speaking country including the UK). The advent of technology generated thousands of new words like "transistor" for example, so the language continues to be adapted to meet our ever changing needs to communicate.

Now, here is a very interesting fact. There is a period in British history when three languages were in use in this country. Monarchs and the upper classes spoke French, the clergy and legal profession wrote in Latin, and the common man spoke an early version of English.

So you see Grandpa, the British people of today speak an inherited form of English just as Americans of today do - forms that have changed dramatically over the centuries, and over which none of us had any control. I think bonnet and hood, boot and trunk, are cool words and I use the appropriate words depending on which country I am in at the time.

Wow! This thread has taken a huge detour from your original post, Grandpa. Hope you don't mind. Guess I just needed to chat to someone and forum members are my victims on this very cold morning in the UK.

Oh, and by the way, Bill - what the heck is Higgorant? You lost me there! Ha Ha.

Cheers to All, Chuck

#58346 - 12/11/02 04:04 AM Re: How Do You?????
ALAN MAXEY Offline

Loc: U.K.
I read this statement some years ago:-
England and America...two countries separated
by a common language!!

[This message has been edited by ALAN MAXEY (edited 12-11-2002).]

#58347 - 12/11/02 07:59 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Chuck, I don’t mind one little bit where this thread goes. I would leap for joy if every thread had a bit of humor thrown in. The way I look at it music makes you smile and warms your heart. Whether it radiates from your mouth or your fingers. Offering help on this forum also brings happiness and a nice feeling to the recipient. And a bit of humor turns the ends of the lips a little towards heaven and makes the tummy vibrate a tad. I like humor in all it;s forms. I like dry humor. I like wet humor. Wet? Ya! The kind that makes water roll out of the eyeballs.

Chuck, you can bend my ear, (an Americanism meaning chat) anytime you feel the need to bend someone's ear. Thanks for the history lesson. And Alan, I like the ring of that statement. A very nice way of putting it. Maybe you guys can clear something else up. I live in America and am called an American. You live in England and are call Brits. Why not Englishman?

About Higgorant! Old Grandpa mispeled pignuckle. Bill, in jest of my misspelling, mispeled igorant. I love that British humor! Bully, eh Bill?

Grandpa Doug

#58348 - 12/11/02 02:58 PM Re: How Do You?????
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Hi Doug.
for you "colonials", here follows a short history lesson of your mother country.ie England

1. GB.Great Britain is not a country, it is made up of three countries. IE. England. Scotland and Wales. Thats why say in the Olympics we are entered as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

2. UK. The United Kingdom is not a country , I beleive it was formed in 1921 and it is made up of four countries ie England.Scotland.Wales and Northern Ireland

An Englishman is not refered to as a Brit in the UK but as English, a Scotsman as Scottish ( not Scotch as that is a drink), a Welshman as Welsh and Irishman as Irish . I suppose its the same over at your end IE a man from Texas is, I beleive a "Texan" and so on.
Don't you know that Independance Day celebrates you lot stealing your country from us English

Now get back to playing your keyboard and be a good boy. Otherwise you might have to play "God Save The Queen" everytime you stand up.

All the best for Christmas and The New Year
to you all

Regards

Brian

#58349 - 12/11/02 02:58 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hey there Gramps! Spot On For Higgorant read Ignorant.
Now, about how we refer to ourselves. What you have to remember is that Britain is divided into four countries and some of us are extremely loyal to our individual Flags. So, collectively we are known as British but individually English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. The latter three sometimes get very upset if they are just generally referred to as 'English'
I'm a bit of a Hybrid since I was born in Scotland but have lived (in exile) for nearly forty years in England so I suppose I have dual nationality
One tip - Never refer to a Glaswegian (native of Glasgow) as an Engishman - especially on a Saturday night when the pubs are chucking out - Not unless you want some extensive, rapid nose reconstruction

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58350 - 12/11/02 04:28 PM Re: How Do You?????
Derek Ladkin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Goodison:
Hi Doug.

"An Englishman is not refered to as a Brit in the UK but as English, a Scotsman as Scottish ( not Scotch as that is a drink), a Welshman as Welsh and Irishman as Irish .

Regards

Brian "

Hi Doug,
Then again: a Scotsman is a "Jock"
a Welshman is a "Taff"
an Irishman is a "Paddy"
We Englishmen are a whole mixture of "Cockneys,Scouses,Brummies,Geordies,Canaries,Woolly Backs......" depending on which City,Town or County we come from.

Next for Doug's education,who is going to explain the English game of "Cricket" ? That should keep the thread going until next Independence Day.

Derek

#58351 - 12/11/02 07:21 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

I’m going to start off with another Americanism.

You guys got me SNOWED! I give up! I got all the Hinglish lessons I can stand. I thought I could talk! Man, you guys make me look like a piker. (Another Americanism) A game? I thought a Cricket was a bug. I think you guys are ganging up on me and Pulling My Leg. (Another Americanism) I have just devised a plan. I am running this whole thread through my printer. Taking the pages and presenting them to Ruthie in book form, she will digest everything and explain it to me in simple english. Meanwhile I’m going to pull up my favorite chair in front of the 7 and practice for the Christmas party I must play. Come to think about it, I have got to start weaning myself of that habit. That nice comfortable old rocking chair with the great back on it. Really feels good. The one problem I’m having of late is I kind of nod off after a few songs. Hard to keep focus on what your doing. So, starting this evening, out comes the bench and (sob) away goes the comfort, back into the other room. So off goes Grandpa and we’ll see ya-all later. (a southern Americanism).

Grandpa Doug

#58352 - 12/12/02 01:01 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Everyone!

What a strange "kettle of fish" this thread has turned out be. Do you think maybe we have the "cart before the horse"? Did somebody forget to "close the barn door" at the beginning of the thread, thus preventing us from "getting our act together"? Just thought I would throw in a few more "...isms" for consideration this morning, whether they be American or British.

Tradin' a bench for a rockin' chair Doug? Hope you remember to put a thick pillow on that bench and have Ruthie standin' behind for back support! We septuagenarians need all the help we can get. Right?

Ya'll "take it easy". Oops. There is another one of those crazy "...isms". How did that get in there? Maybe that's just the way we talk?

Have a Good Morning and Top of the Morning to all of you.

Chuck

#58353 - 12/12/02 02:35 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

"Next for Doug's education,who is going to explain the English game of "Cricket" ? That should keep the thread going until next Independence Day."

Hi Derek, I heard something on the radio the other day that really shook me to the core...... Cricket was invented by the FRENCH !! As If...
As to explaining ball games - what about American Football ???? Is this another ..ism?

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58354 - 12/12/02 02:47 AM Re: How Do You?????
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
QOUTE
"Don't you know that Independance Day celebrates you lot stealing your country from us English "

To make history complete. Remember before that a part of it was stolen by the English from the Dutch.

rgds.
Willem

#58355 - 12/12/02 07:34 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

I'm getting a headache.

Poetry-
I'm going to my seven to be in heaven
I'm singing a song, so I can't go wrong
I love my wife, so I have a good life
So I'll see you later. Alligator.

Grandpa Doug

#58356 - 12/12/02 09:46 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Grandpa Doug:

You are indeed a poet
Because your feet show it
(They're Longfellows)

I apologize for the corny poem. I thought it was funny when I was a kid.

Willum:

American football is for real - not an "ism". It is probably the most complex athletic game ever devised. There are not only two teams of players on the field of play, but supporting teams of strategists who plan offenses that will defeat opposing defenses, and other strategists planning defenses that will foil offenses. A full explanation of the game is beyond the scope of this forum. One interesting fact is that 99% of American professional football players have a university degree and that is unique in the world of sport I believe.

Now, cricket? I, too, read that the French created the game originally. How interesting, and what a surprise!

Willem:

I see you have a restaurant in Amsterdam in addition to being an owner/player of a KN6000. I was stationed at Camp Nieuw Amsterdam near Zeist for four years in the 60's. We used to go to Amsterdam for a meal and to enjoy the canal/harbor boat tours in the summer. To this day I still love and miss Loempia and Sate. Great stuff! You are in a beautiful country and city, and living among some of the nicest people in the world.

As far as history is concerned, you are correct up to a point concerning our Independence Day. However, we have to be fair and say that the Spanish, English, French, and Dutch took the country away from the native American Indian - and that isn't the end of the story of conquerers. People migrated from Siberia some fifteen thousand years ago according to archeologists. Who did those Siberian migrants conquer if the country was populated at that time? I don't have an answer to that question.

We aren't talking much about music but we sure are talking a lot, aren't we? Oh well - why not?

Take Care All, Chuck

#58357 - 12/12/02 11:00 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Don’t know if you noticed but the last line in my poem is an Americanism.
Chuck, Your a poet and you don’t know it! So there!
I wish my feet were longfellows. Size 5 1/2.
Football? Plan offenses? Defense strategies? Tell that to the Chicago Bears!!!
Why are you hanging another one on old Grandpa Doug? Loempia and Sate? Is that something you eat? Maybe drink? Or is that something you went to see? You guys floor me! If it’s something to eat I hope it’s not like when I got suckered into going to a Leudfisk dinner. Soak that poor fish in lye for a couple of weeks, wring it out and call it food? Sounds like something my mother-in-law would conjure up. Worst stuff I ever slid between my lips.
If it is a drink I hope it’s not like a painter friend gave me a couple of years ago. Come over to my house he said. Im having a lot of guys over for a little holiday get together. Bring the wife, I just made a fresh batch of Glug and we’ll have some fun. Bring your musical maker thing and we’ll cut a little rug. One hot Glug. Two hot Glugs. Three hot glugs. Fo sot, burp, glup! I did not find my head for three days.

Quote; “We aren't talking much about music but we sure are talking a lot, aren't we? Oh well - why not”? As long as were on the subject of talking a lot, how about talking a little about the Christmas present Alec just gave us? Nice stuff Alec. Thanks a lot and a Merry Christmas to you also.

Grandpa Doug

#58358 - 12/12/02 11:25 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Misspelled Alec. Should be Alex. Alex Green. By the way, anybody else who would like to cheer us up with a song? I will be willing to whip one up after three more of you guys come across. You guys are not bashfull with your mouth. Let's hear a little from your fingers!

Grandpa Doug

#58359 - 12/12/02 12:08 PM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Again Grandpa,

This is turning into an academically educational thread rather than educational in a musical sense, but so be it. What is Loempia and Sate? Food. Loempia is very similar to Chinese spring rolls but much larger, juicier, and far better tasting. Sate is bite size pieces of cooked pork or beef with toothpicks imbedded in them (so you can pick them up) served in a very tasty peanut sauce. Wish I could jump on a plane here in Manchester right now and head for Amsterdam so I could fill my tummy with that great stuff. I've sampled a lot of foreign foods in my 52 years of travelling around the world, most of which I didn't enjoy. But Loempia and Sate are two of my favorites.

Yes, the Chicago Bears need a lot of help at the skill positions (quarterback, running back, wide receiver primarily). American football is televised here. Saw four games last weekend including the Monday Night Miami/Chicago game. Their #1 and #2 quarterbacks (Miller and Chandler) don't have it anymore - quite obviously. Maybe next year will be better for the team if they draft some good talent.

That's it from me for the time being. Gotta get back to my KN and drift off into my world of music. Ah yes!

Take Care, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 12-12-2002).]

#58360 - 12/13/02 07:51 AM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

I for one can not figure out the Euros love of Soccer. What is the point of running east and west for a few hours with nothing happening in between? Here is an idea...How about scoring once in a while! We Americans love action and scoring. Real Football is American style where the teams actually put points on the board. Soccer will NEVER be a major sport in the States because it is BORING !

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58361 - 12/13/02 11:09 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Iahawk,

Once again I feel compelled to respond to a post in this thread to hopefully add some balance to the commentary. Here is some food for thought. Consider for a moment where you were born and raised. Until the advent of the NFL Europe league a few years ago, American-style football was played exclusively in America. Soccer - "Football" to the rest of the world - was played just about globally, and still is. So people around the world were playing football long before the American-style game was invented. You like American football and I love it. But I can see why people all over the world prefer soccer. It is the only football game they have known for centuries. And you can't argue with success, fame, or ubiquity because all three qualities apply to soccer. Some of the richest football clubs in the world are soccer clubs. The most famous football players around the world are soccer players - not American football players. And as far as ubiquity is concerned, American football is played in the U.S., Scotland, Holland, Germany, and Spain - five countries. Soccer is played in more the one hundred fifty countries. The only true World Football Championship is the World Cup, not the Super Bowl, and the game is soccer, not American football.

I agree with you that American football has a lot more scoring usually, but that is primarily because we award 6 points for a touchdown, 3 points for a field goal, 2 points for a safety, and 1 point for the kick conversion after a touchdown. If a team succeeds in achieving a touchdown, field goal, safety, and point after, it is winning 12 - 0. In reality the team only scored four ways (four times) so the score could be 4 - 0 ( without the multiplicative effect of multiple points awarded for a score), which is a very respectable soccer result.

At the end of the day, Americans prefer American-style football because they grew up with it, and the rest of the people in our world prefer soccer because that is what they grew up with. Simple!

Gotta run and play my KN.

Take care Iahawk. I know where you are coming from and I respect your viewpoint.

Best Regards, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 12-13-2002).]

#58362 - 12/13/02 11:50 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

BORING?

Not near as boring as pro baseball. That of course is not true if you like to see em chew tobaco, look and throw to first base, rub the ball, hack up a big brown one and try to spit it beyond the pitchers mound so they wont slip in the slime. Nobody watches the game anymore so they want to strike for more money. That way we can pay more to go see this kind of spittle. I guess it's becoming a rich mans entertainment to break up thier boring lives. I don't think I ever heard of a player of baseball ever play a keyboard. Maybe because drooling thick dark brown tobaco juice on the keys would gum them up. Could be the thick brown color would remind them of something else and they would get sick to their stomach. I do like the part where the pitcher is just about ready to throw the ball and the batter backs out of the box, hits each shoe with the bat, spits and then looks around. I think the batter does this on purpose because the pitcher and first base guy have a little game of catch making the batter wait, hoping he will get too nervous to be able to hit the ball. They probably call this strategy.

Grandpa Doug

Stir the pot. (an Americanism)

#58363 - 12/13/02 12:38 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

The big problem with football (soccer) is that it now has virtually nothing to do with sport - it's all about money. I used to enjoy it when I was much younger but now, the very mention of it on TV or Radio has me reaching for the ON/OFF switch.

This topic certainly is is becoming very varied - but interesting and a bit of light relief....

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58364 - 12/13/02 03:32 PM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

I never said soccer isn't popular in Europe. I just don't understand why. What's the point in watching men run around and many times the game ends in a 0-0 tie . Whoopie...now that's exciting. No wonder fans riot, they are bored !

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58365 - 12/13/02 04:17 PM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Bill,

You're right about sport being all about money these days. It is likely that all Americans playing sports as professionals are millionaires if they become regular members of a team. I think the same is true of professional sportsman around the world, certainly in the developed countries. It is big business on an individual and collective basis - pure and simple.

The fans could exercise some control over player's salaries and reduce the cost of attending games considerably by boycotting them until ticket prices came back down to earth, but that won't happen. The fans are
essentially stupid in my view to pay the ridiculous admission prices charged today. A few years ago I read in a Los Angeles newspaper that it cost a family of four nearly three hundred dollars to attend a Los Angeles Raider football game. What would it cost today? The cost included tickets, programs, food and snacks. I love American football, but you wouldn't catch me within ten miles of a football stadium because the ticket prices are outrageous. I'll watch games on TV and if they start charging viewers for that service I won't be watching football at all. I'll buy a newspaper and read about it the next day!

One of my pet peaves is the complete absence of sportsmanship in sport. The Roy Keane's of this world, and we have them in America, should be banned - period! It will never happen because we are talking about businesses, not "sports" any longer.

I'm off my soap box now and back to my KN. Take care, Bill.

Oh, and by the way Iahawk, fans are not bored with soccer even if the score is 0-0. They are connoisseurs of the game and are quite capable of appreciating the nuances of the game and athletic skills of the players - just like you can as a fan of American football. You cannot compare soccer and American football. They are two distinctly different games requiring different skills to play them.

Goodnight Gentlemen, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 12-13-2002).]

#58366 - 12/14/02 03:22 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Chuck,
Prima Donnas ; selling overpriced goods (which seem to change every season) to kids ; despicable behavior both on and off the field...... You've said it all.... I rest my case...

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58367 - 12/14/02 04:29 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Good Morning Bill,

You summed it up perfectly and I agree. Have a great Saturday doing whatever you choose to do - and take care.

Chuck

#58368 - 12/15/02 09:25 AM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

Bill are you talking about Pro Atheletes or Pro Musicicans ?

(Prima Donnas ; selling overpriced goods (which seem to change every season) to kids ; despicable behavior both on and off the field...... You've said it all.... I rest my case...)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58369 - 12/15/02 10:09 AM Re: How Do You?????
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Wow! This must be one of the longest threads todate, and no one on this side of the pond has yet mentioned cricket.......?

Ogre

#58370 - 12/15/02 11:15 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Larry, I'm referring to 'Professional' soccer players in UK and the game in general.

Ogre, re. cricket - have a look at Derek Ladkin's post on page 1 of this thread.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#58371 - 12/16/02 04:12 PM Re: How Do You?????
Derek Ladkin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:

Ogre, re. cricket - have a look at Derek Ladkin's post on page 1 of this thread.

[/B]

Hi Bill,
Yes I heard that it was the French who invented cricket, that's why I said "the English game of cricket" otherwise at "tea" instead of "cups of tea and cucumber sandwiches" we would be having "wine and frogs legs" and that's " not Cricket old boy" is it
What made them give it up do you know?
Was it Napoleon thinking it would keep us busy working out the rules and field positions whilst he quietly invaded us ?
I used to keep wicket so I didn't have to run all round the boundary

Derek

#58372 - 12/16/02 05:09 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Derek,
Don't know why they gave it up - maybe the prospect of playing the Aussies didn't appeal to them I mean - look at our record over the past few years....

As for little Bonaparte - well at least we licked him!!

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online