SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58128 - 07/21/05 08:04 PM Copying your SD card
zachr101 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi. I am trying to back up my SD card just in case... I did it by computer, used dragging all files from the recorded card on my desk top and then back on the empty SD card, It took 2 hours to do it, new SD card shows the information is on it, but when inserted in KN7000 it does not have anything on it. Do I have to do something else or what am I doind wrong? Is there some other way to back up SD card? Thanks, reply will be greatly appreciated. Jan.

#58129 - 07/22/05 03:05 AM Re: Copying your SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Jan and welcome to the Forum
A backup facility is provided in the software which was included with your KN7000/KN2600 (Applications and Drivers CD). The application used is 'Song Manager'. You can use either a card reader connected to the USB port of your PC, or you can connect your keyboard via USB to your PC and backup the card, while it is fitted in the keyboard. However, the latter method takes a very long time........
If you have not already installed the software on your PC, then it is important that you follow the installation procedure very carefully. You will find a detailed procedure for Windows 98SE or Windows 2000/XP on the Tech Tips page of my website : http://mysite.freeserve.com/willumspages/index.html
The backup process produces a single compressed file with the extension .SDB and this file can be stored in a folder on your PC and subsequently written to a CD if required.
The backup procedure is fairly straightforward.

1. Plug the Card Reader into your PC USB port and start the Song Manager program.
2. Insert the SD Card in the reader and in the Menu at the top of the screen, click on SD Manage.
3. Click on SD Backup from the drop-down Menu and follow the instructions.
4. When you get to the 'Save as..' screen, enter a suitable name for the file (eg 128MB_Card01 )and click on Save.
5. On the 'SD Card Selection' screen, choose 'Card in Reader/Writer'.
6. On the 'Browse for folder' screen, click on 'Removable Disk' - the backup process will start and activity will be shown by the yellow LED on the Reader/Writer.
7. When the backup has finished, it will indicate 'Completed' on the PC screen - click on 'OK'. Be aware that the process will take quite some time.......
You will then have a single compressed file containing all the data on the card.
If you do wish to transfer this data to another SD Card, rather than save it on your PC or CD, then the .SDB file can be uncompressed and the contents copied to a 'backup' SD Card using the 'Restore' facility in the Song Manager. The procedure is similar to that described above except that in Step 3. you would choose 'SD Restore' rather than 'SD Backup'

There is also a program called 'SD Explorer' produced by a member of Synthzone which provides several useful facilities for KN keyboard data manipulation. Further details are available here : http://members.chello.nl/~f.mellink/SDExplorer.htm

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58130 - 07/22/05 04:58 AM Re: Copying your SD card
technicsplayer Offline

an sd card can be backed up by simply dragging the contents of the root to a folder via a card reader (and then dragging back to a different card). Zip it up if you want a single archive file.

Audio will not be backed up, but then Audio is not backed up via Song Manager or via SD Explorer (where it is inappropriately zipped up in a waste of storage space). For audio you have to use the Jukebox program, but for Technics and Midi there is no problem with drag and drop.

#58131 - 07/25/05 06:39 AM Re: Copying your SD card
zachr101 Offline

Hi Bill, Hi technicsplayer. Sorry, I could not reply , being away from my computer for few days. I am green in this chat and greener with my keyboard and computer work, but I can handle simple basics. I bought my Kn7000 second hand and it is my baby ever since. I just love it. I did not even know that there was any CD coming with it. I have 2 floppies, but that's it. As I said, I tried the dragging files from my sd to desktop and back to the new SD card, but the keyboard does not see it. I will work on it again and will let you know. Is the CD available? I have realy no idea whome should I turn to. Thanks again for your replies, I am happy my board has so many friends arround the world. Great. Jan.

#58132 - 07/25/05 03:45 PM Re: Copying your SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

When you use Windows Explorer to view the content of your SD Card and subsequently drag the content to your PC Desktop, make sure that the file you drag across, is, as Technicsplayer said, the Root folder. The folder is called 'PRIVATE' and contains several levels of sub-folder. This is the only folder which you should drag from and to the SD Cards.

If you wish to email me your postal address, I'll send you a copy of the 'Applications and Drivers' CD. Click on the 'email' Icon above this message.......

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-25-2005).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#58133 - 07/25/05 06:44 PM Re: Copying your SD card
zachr101 Offline

Thanks Bill. Please check your e-mail. Jan.

#58134 - 07/26/05 05:26 AM Re: Copying your SD card
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
The folder is called 'PRIVATE' and contains several levels of sub-folder. This is the only folder which you should drag from and to the SD Cards.

not at all... you can copy sd sound with no problem and all original playlists will still be available on the new card, you can also copy imexport with unconverted midis with no problem.

#58135 - 07/26/05 07:55 AM Re: Copying your SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

OK, My terminology could probably have been expanded further - what I meant to say was that for the Keyboard to recognise the KN7000 files, then it must be the 'PRIVATE' folder which is dragged to and from the PC. It will not work by just dragging any of the sub-folders alone, within the 'PRIVATE' folder. From past experience, I would expect that Jan was probably just dragging the TFLD files to his PC.

When I stated "This is the only folder which you should drag from and to the SD Cards"I was not inferring that other types of file could not be transferred using the Drag/Drop method - merely that the 'PRIVATE' folder was the only one necessary, to be dragged to transfer all standard KN7000 files eg Composer, Custom, Sequences etc.
I apologise unreservedly if I have misled anyone.......

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online