SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#57957 - 08/30/02 03:55 PM Re: GOT IT !!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Alec, So are you saying that the Free memory display on the screen is not correct?
Assuming it's not far out, and if the 8Mb card capacity is 8,000KB the overhead seems a bit excessive at just over 17% of the card's capacity. I agree that the larger the card, the less the effect and indeed, the 32Mb overhead drops to just over 5% of capacity.
Incidentally, the 'lid' on the KN7000 acts like a fridge door - close it, and the 'lights' go out. All LEDs and the screen are disabled by a little projection on the left end of the keyboard, operating a small push switch on the panel - nice feature no point in wasting power if you don't need the lights.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57958 - 08/30/02 05:39 PM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

I did not say that it is not correct, just that it looks like it is measured differently. If you measure with one system in the display and another in windows or floppies the comparison will be wrong, that is the only point I'm making.

If the overhead is the major factor, then calculating bytes and different file allocation system blocks will be the minority factor and may be able to be ignored in the bigger picture, though it still contributes. It looks as if this may be the case here. We don't know what they have done in the overhead. There is presumably space for all the navigation features, maybe filenames, remembering space is needed for the structure of possible midi files and audio files as well as technics format and individual custom style saves as opposed to full customs, and also any pictures for slideshows and any playlists you may program. Maybe this size overhead covers all these loading structures and their possible filenames? It seems likely because you have alphabet sort available in the menus.

A very similar scenario presented with the SX hard drives, if you added up the free space shown for each partition and compared it with the manufacturers quoted size of hard drive.

#57959 - 08/31/02 08:38 AM Re: GOT IT !!
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Bill, Alec
Got my 7000 yesterday, and had to do a rush job to prepare it for a gig last night. (Took some floppies, just in case)
Saved 40 x 3 Bank files, which included Composer & Sound Memory, and 6 x All files which also included Composer & Sound Memory.
The result being I'd used 49% of the 8Mb SD card, leaving 3,352Kb free.
The only test I managed to find time to do, was to load one or two files, then save them again excluding Sound Memory. That's when my brain started hurting Sometimes there was a little more free space, but sometimes less!!! Needless to say, I've ordered a 128Mb SD card. I'm off to Warwick with the caravan in the morning. I've offered to leave my wife there whilst I come back home to work on the 7000 or alternatively take it with me. She wasn't very impressed with either idea.

#57960 - 08/31/02 10:00 AM Re: GOT IT !!
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Now we really know don't we that over the coming weeks there are going to be people coming along here whose sole purpose is going to be to knock the KN7000 partly out of jealousy & partly out of ignorance. It defies belief that anybody can pass an honest opinion about this keyboard without actually having one in their hands or worse still not even laid their eyes on one.
Now I know that some of you will be saying what the hell is this guy going on about, well I am just preparing you because as sure as eggs are eggs it will happen.
Another thing that annoys me personally is that information about the KN7000 has already started to leech into most of the threads that has already been posted or discussed on more than one occasion now surely if the information is already available & we follow the forum
is there any real need to go over old ground unless somebody asks.
For those of us that have made the choice to change to the KN7000 & have been able acquire one then life is pretty rosy at the moment but let us bear a thought for those that have not & are more than frustrated.
If you remember past forums then you will understand what I am saying here
These comments are not pointed at anyone at all they are just a generalisation.

Are there others out there in the USA that have the 7000 or the EWO3 expansion card

#57961 - 08/31/02 11:03 AM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

John, this is entirely in line with my predictions then, since you loaded the equivalent of 4 x 10 files of composer/panel/sound etc and 6 full custom style groups which are roughly the equivalent of at least another 6 x 10 performance type loads, and generally quite a bit more.

If the card is half full, then the equivalent for the full 8 MB is around 20 x 10 performance type loads, or in the region of 200 performance files or more.

If you add in sequences with typically single songs this may tend to bring the total down to the 150 performance loads region. It all depends on the subfile combinations you are saving, and how efficiently you arrange your work.

#57962 - 09/01/02 01:17 AM Re: GOT IT !!
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Alec. You're quite right, and it's more or less as I expected. Having been particularly lazy with my HDSX6 I always used to save my Sound memory files, composer files etc. whether they were needed or not, just to have them
handy. As a result the floppies I've loaded onto the SD card often contain far more data than I need - I just hadn't time to trim them down a bit.
I'm absolutely delighted with the instrument. Having done a gig with it, after only a couple of hours to set it up, I was completely comfortable with it. (1 minor irritation was with the Panel Memories - my old brain couldn't quite get used to the anti-clockwise layout - once or twice I went from PM1 to PM8 - but nobody booed - well I didn't hear them)

#57963 - 09/01/02 02:00 AM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

yes, I know what you mean. My method was remembering it as 1 to 4 bottom left to right

and 5 to 8 as top right to left. Once the picture clicks in your mind, then it's OK.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online