SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#57947 - 08/29/02 02:30 AM Re: GOT IT !!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
J.Larry, As far as I can determine, the modification procedure of the EQ settings in the KN7000 is essentially the same as in the KN6xxx instruments. It has to be done in the composer, as you suggest and then the new style saved to Disc, SD or whatever. I tried it and it does work. I can't find any other way of altering EQ on individual parts of the Auto Accompaniment.

Bob, The SD card filing system has 99 Folders, each folder holding 20 files. Both Folder and File names can be up to 16 Characters long. The 99 / 20 system is irrespective of card capacity, as far as I can determine. So, if all your 'Saves' to SD card are arranged to only save the required data, then it is possible that you will be able to use most, if not all of the folder and file slots, within the capacity of the supplied 8Mb card (1980 files). If however, you are saving large amounts of data, say custom styles and sequencer, then the files will be considerably larger and the 8Mb capacity will be filled up, before you reach the 1980 file limit. In this case, a larger capacity card would be required.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57948 - 08/29/02 04:02 AM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

J Larry, the only new equalisation feature for accomp part control is a reverb set screen where you can accept all the preset reverb values for all the styles, or individually set your own which then become universal.

Bill, you won't get near 1980 typical files on the supplied 8 MB card. Typical composer/panel/sound/song loads of 20 files use up around 13% of the 8 MB card. This reduces if you add in full customs obviously.

So the supplied 8 MB card will accomodate around 150 technics loads, or 15 typical retail floppy disks without full custom load. Or around 200 typical midi files with lyrics.

Even single custom loads, which is the most efficient way of storing and loading large amounts of data, will fit around 380 files on the supplied 8 MB card.

It gets interesting when you multiply these figures up by a factor of 8 and 16 for 64 and 128 MB cards, which are still relatively affordable...

64 MB card - around 1200 typical technics loads or around 1600 midi files with lyrics.

128 MB card - the full folder structure with room to spare for plenty of full customs, MP3 or WMA files, and pictures for your slideshow presentations. Remember the playlists give greater functionality in addition.

#57949 - 08/29/02 05:20 AM Re: GOT IT !!
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello Alec,
I have 3 SD cards off 64 Mb.
If I want to use the entire capacity off the sd card I have to put 20 sequenser songs on one directory.
Normally I put one disk that contains 10 songs on a diferent directory. If I would do this I would be able to put 99 disks on my SD card.
If I copy 2 disks (20 songs) to one directory it would be possible to put 20 * 99 songs on the Sd card.
I hope I'm wright because I am reorganizing all the files from the backup off my hdsx6.

Thanks again,
Alain

#57950 - 08/29/02 01:25 PM Re: GOT IT !!
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for putting me right Alec - should have done the 'Maths'
Also found out today, that if you load a .WAV file into your PC, or a normal audio CD when it is connected via USB to the KN7000, it plays from Windows Media player very nicely through the KN7000 sound system system. It also works with other audio players that I have on my PC. I found that this is a good way for playing along and learning a new tune, since it is easy to pause and partially 'rewind' the song just using the PC mouse. Just a thought for us 'Ear Players'......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#57951 - 08/29/02 03:16 PM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

that is exactly what I meant by the 7k makes one hell of a laptop digital speaker system! no analogue degradation down any cables...

The other way round you can use the 7k as an analogue to digital converter from microphone and line in from guitar, or anything else, to wave file directly onto hard disk.

#57952 - 08/29/02 04:02 PM Re: GOT IT !!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Grandpa Doug,
I really think that you a being more than a little unfair on Scott re: the vocaliser / psr issue. Scotts questions have obviously got under your skin for some reason.

Scott has long been a devotee of Technics keyboards and is a mine of information on the same. He has helped me considerably over the years and those that have known him a while will remember his enthusiasm for his kn5000.

The fact is that keyboards (like everything else)need replacing once in a while and more so I would think if you rely on them to make your living. The fact is that after the 5000 technics did not offer a package to suit Scotts needs. It is only the stuff we ALL moan about like why technics insist(ed) on using hard drives that were specific to them when other manufacturers don't and why the psr9000 / korg pa80 could have decent harmonisers built in and technics had a joke instead. I do know however that none of this makes Scott any the less keen for technics, indeed he is often found extoling the better points of a technics board. Even in this thread he has commented on the excellent piano sound of the 6000 and of the unrivaled chord recognition features of technics boards.

Ok so Scott likes to be specific, he likes to get to the nitty gritty of a question and dot the I's and cross the t's. Those of us that know Scott accept this as part of his character and to be honest it is that ceasless questioning that makes him so technically adept as a musician.

I do not see that owning a psr2000 precludes scott from commenting on technics instruments especially when he is a long time user of them and may well consider that the 7000 is the board for him when he has auditioned it. I also fail to see the crime in informing us of the better features of other boards. Hell, Scott has even trounced Yamaha and the 2000 for the flash upgrade issue so quite how you can call him evangelical is beyond me.

I usually enjoy your literary asides because, in the past they have always had humorous intent. On this occasion they just seemed designed to insult and humiliate.

Tony

#57953 - 08/30/02 11:39 AM Re: GOT IT !!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Tony: MANY thanks for sticking your neck out there to defend me. You stated my sentiments prescisely. - Scott

#57954 - 08/30/02 11:54 AM Re: GOT IT !!
Bill Norrie Offline

I've been having a look at the KN7000 SD card filing system and made the following observations.

The 8 Megabyte card supplied with the KN7000, when blank, reports in the SD menu as having 6608Kb (6.608Mb) free.
8Mb = 8192Kb : 8192 minus 6608 = 1584Kb So, where has just over 1.5Mb of memory gone?
I then tried the same operation with a 32Mb card (32768Kb) and it reports only 30352Kb (30.352Mb) free!
This time, Missing 2416Kb. So where has just over 2.4Mb of memory gone?

I then tried some comparative tests saving identical data to the 8Mb SD card and then to Floppy Disc.
I named the first Folder using 16 Characters and this reduced the free memory from 6608Kb to 6576Kb - a drop of 32Kb!
The SD card file data was deleted between tests, so all tests started from the '6576KB Free' point.

Test 1 : Save 3Bank Panel Mem, Current Panel and Effects only, naming the file group using 16 Characters for SD.
Results : Free memory now 6504Kb - Operation used 72Kb. Same file arrangement saved to Floppy used 17Kb.

Test 2 : Save 'Perform' option again using 16 Character file group name for the SD card.
Results : Free memory now 6400Kb - Operation used 208Kb. Same file arrangement saved to Floppy used 95Kb.

Test 3 : Save all Custom Styles only again using 16 Character file group name for the SD card.
Results : Free memory now 6520Kb - Operation used 88Kb. Same arrangement saved to Floppy used 205Kb

Test 4 : Save 'Perform' and Custom again using 16 Character file group name for the SD card.
Results : Free memory now 6392Kb - Operation used 216Kb. Same arrangement saved to Floppy used 429Kb

Test 5 : Save 3Bank Panel Mem, Current Panel and Effects only, same data to 10 file groups, each 16 Character name.
Results : Free memory now 6216Kb - Operation used 360Kb. Same arrangement saved to Floppy used 171Kb.
This means that the average space used on the SD card for each operation was 36Kb
compared to 17Kb on Floppy.

Interesting stuff Eh??? The strange result is the large difference when saving Custom Memory. This operation shows a considerable reduction in the required SD memory, compared to that on a floppy disc. All the other operations required more SD memory than floppy space. I repeated Test 3 several times and got the same result every time.

Finally, I continuously transferred data to the 8Mb SD card, from floppy discs until it reported full. Toward the end of the process, I transferred only small files so that I didn't overflow the capacity and get a erroneous result. Having filled the SD card, I then took the floppy discs which I used, and added up the files sizes, using Windows Explorer. The total file size was 6.32Mb.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#57955 - 08/30/02 02:00 PM Re: GOT IT !!
technicsplayer Offline

interesting, but I would not use the 7k display as comparison.
various points:

I assume the cards format as FAT16 whereas floppies are FAT12, so differences between numbers of small and large files may build up?

Cards are specified as MB = 1,000,000,bytes like every similar medium like hard drives, whereas windows and ide channels count a MB as 1024*1024 = 1,048,576 bytes so an apparent reduction in size always takes place due to this with every medium.

The filesystem must have an overhead, if this is relatively constant, it will be advantageous to the bigger cards and disadvantageous to the smaller.

We shall see how filling the filesystem with playlists etc affect the capacity, or whether this is already spoken for in the overhead.

5448 kbytes free on the 7k shows as 5579 kbytes in windows. If you look at the exactly the same files on pc and floppy you will see a different number of bytes used due to above reasons.

It looks like the file system overhead is the majority influence.

#57956 - 08/30/02 02:57 PM Re: GOT IT !!
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Scott, I'm sure there are a lot of us here that echo Tony's comments. He said it well.

Marilyn

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Tony: MANY thanks for sticking your neck out there to defend me. You stated my sentiments prescisely. - Scott

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online