SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57811 - 06/19/07 02:43 PM Tyros V KN7000
Chris Housley Offline

Having played the Tyros 1 ( a friend has )and lately his Tyros 2 i was amazed at the Great Wersi/Hammond organ and European organ sounds it reproduced!!, although i must say this without hesitation - i would NOT buy one. My 7000 along with im sure all your comments leaves the Tyros behind ( or at least i think so!! ) although i would love to have those organ sounds on my 7000.Its a pity we can't copy sounds from keyboard to keyboard..
Chris....

#57812 - 06/19/07 03:27 PM Re: Tyros V KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Chris,

I couldn't agree more about the KN7. There are always advantages and disadvantages with any instrument and as I say to my Keyboard Club Members, "if you find a keyboard/organ or whatever, that complements your style of playing and you are happy with it, then why change?".

As for the Tyros, it is a good keyboard and with the help of some of the Technics 'know-how' it is far superior to any other keyboard that Yamaha has produced BUT it still lacks versatility and User Friendliness. For me the only attraction at the moment is the hard-drive facility. I had one on my KN6500 and it held literally hundreds of my own settings. The downside is, of course, it cannot be used in anyone else's keyboard whereas the memory cards can.
I suspect we will see new ideas on Yamaha's future keyboards but if they keep on charging more and more for less and less, in my opinion, they will price themselves out of the market.

So for the immediate future, I will continue to love and play my two KN7000s until they 'die' on me.

Meanwhile, Technics put out a disk called the Vintage Organ Registrations - code no. MDC-1043 and it has 10 different organ sounds on it including an 'EASY HAMMOND' and
'HAMMOND BIG TIME'. I'm sorry to say I am not an organ player so I couldn't tell you if the Hammonds are any good. If you care to email me privately we'll discuss it further.

Audrey

#57813 - 06/19/07 06:33 PM Re: Tyros V KN7000
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
User Friendly???

My opinion – The Tyros 2 is extremely User Friendly – after you have learned how to use it. It can locate hundreds of styles and settings in seconds. It has a song list something like the Music Stylist only it is programmable. You give the style a song name that you have decided and which intro, tempo and variation is to be used. It also has unlimited registration. You can call up a style or a song from the memory stick using the Music Finder (Song list) or the registration buttons, which means that there are hundreds of different styles and songs available.

Now the important part
When you sit and play the contest is over. The KN7000 sounds like a real orchestra, you do not tire of the sounds. I’m in love with the Piano and Trumpet.

John C.

#57814 - 06/20/07 02:25 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Shortly after the Tyros 1 was released, I decided to buy one, as a 'friend' to my trusty KN7000. Whilst I liked some of the sounds and styles I just could not get along with the operating system and found it unfriendly, when compared to the Technics keyboards. It was not a case of unfamiliarity - I kept it for about 4 months and really tried to get on with it.
As many of you will know, I like to make many of my own styles and sound edits and this process on the Tyros 1 was an absolute nightmare, compared with the superb editing facilities on the Technics keyboards. That was my main reason for ditching the Tyros 1. Although I have not had a chance to play around with a Tyros 2, I expect that the editing facilities are much the same ???

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57815 - 06/20/07 02:39 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
Chris Housley Offline

I could not agree with you more on this subject.... The only advantage of the Tyros for me is the Organ sounds which i do like playing, but for Orchestral, piano , brass , etc etc, you cannot fault. Its KN7000 for along time for me, especially as i gig three or four times a week with this.
As i have said before, this is a great forum for us Technics guys and girls, never a day passes without looking through the Topics!!!. Regards.
Chris.....

#57816 - 06/20/07 02:53 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I feel Bill is right about the editing ability for sequencing and composer. My reference was to live playing – playing out on a job. I avoided the sequencer because it was unfriendly. Most Yamaha owners do not work with the on board sequencer, they use a computer. The keyboard is set up for that kind of operation.

On the brighter side, I was able to record a song (Sequence) and E-mail it with no editing needed. The Tyros 2 had a song (Sequence) play back that was far ahead of the KN7. It is able to mark four different areas in the sequence so that you can repeat song at any part that you have marked during play back. Selecting the Sequence was easily done by selecting and viewing or by using the registration, which was able to select the song, the key, tempo and the lyrics. You can also view the notation in the music while it is being played – with or without lyrics.

The reason for my post is not to discredit the KN7000, the KN7000 is my personal choice. I have owned two Tyros 1 keyboards and one Tyros 2. I sold all three of them. I am trying to share what I have learned about Yamaha to those who may have questions.

John C.

#57817 - 06/20/07 04:54 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
Chris Housley Offline

Hi John
Thanks again for your input, and your tips on the T2...
Chris.

#57818 - 06/20/07 09:54 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

The Tyros 2 had a song (Sequence) play back that was far ahead of the KN7. It is able to mark four different areas in the sequence so that you can repeat song at any part that you have marked during play back.

John C.

That is a feature I WISH technics had incorporated ...

When I purchased my first technics - kn1000 - back in the early 90's it was the ease of operation that sold me ... I created a number of 'backing tracks' and the neat thing was that because the kb wasn't reading a midi file but rather using the on board style, I could easily go from the end of a backing track to another song of the same genre, tempo, etc. without any break in the dancing ...
t.

#57819 - 06/20/07 03:16 PM Re: Tyros V KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
There you go John! The Tyros does have a great deal to offer and I enjoy playing them at our Club but for me it still isn't quite 'on par' with the Technics. However I do foresee a future whereby the Tyros or whatever Yamaha decide to call their future keyboards, will become No.1 not because the Technics will have disappeared completely but because, as with all technology, it will become sophisticated and hopefully, very User Friendly.

As for the Tyros 2 Bill, there are a few extra features plus some improvement on those found on the Tyros 1 but the difference is barely noticeable and certainly not enough to warrant the cost of changing over plus the list of optional extras gets longer and longer which tends to put me off. If I buy something I expect it to be complete and ready to use. Sadly Yamaha are not alone trading like this it is happening everywhere. Years ago you never heard of a pram without wheels or a bed without a mattress etc. but sadly it is the trend these days.

Audrey

#57820 - 06/30/07 11:57 AM Re: Tyros V KN7000
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hi All,

Although I will not give comments on which keyboard is the best, a matter of personal taste, I like to invite to visit my site, if you haven't done before, and especially the Hobbies and Interests page (besides Vision for Life page ) where you can listen to some of my KN7000 and Tyros-2 music.
http://vision-4-life.nl

------------------

[This message has been edited by fmlk (edited 06-30-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online