SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57655 - 05/10/03 01:17 PM Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Let me hear your comments, questions, and suggestions or criticisms concerning the Introduction to Chord Voicings. Thank you.

Chuck Piper

#57656 - 05/10/03 02:25 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Chuck,
Great job. I have locked the topic so all the posts will be in this topic and not clutter up your discertation. Thank you for doing this work for our members.
I am going to post a pointer on the general Arranger forum for those members that want to learn this material.
Best to all
Bebop

#57657 - 05/10/03 03:36 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Chuck,
Thanks for all you did on Chord Voicing. You mentioned at the end "I posted this and discovered that the way I formatted the presentation was not captured by the site's software" Can you explain the " Sites Software " please.

I haven't had a chance to try the chord voices you described, but it sounds very interesting and will give it a go soon.

I and almost everyone who has learned chords on their own, will play chords in a way that is comfortable to them and that is pleasing, even though it may not be musically correct.

I hope you all give it a try. Actually it dosen't sound all that difficult, which makes it even more worthwhile to give it a go. The way you describe it, it can make a huge difference in playing and I thank you for that.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#57658 - 05/10/03 03:54 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hey Chuck - GREAT JOB I haven't read it all yet but will print it out tomorrow morning and digest thoroughly
We all owe you a debt of gratitude.....
Bet it played havoc with the Golf

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57659 - 05/10/03 04:00 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
Chuck Piper Offline

Bebop and Larry:

Thanks for your show of appreciation.

Larry, when I mentioned the "site software" I was referring to the way it handles text. For example, I formatted my chord presentation using spaces to lay out notes and numbers in columns. When I posted the work, the spaces were ignored and everything was compressed together. The software we are using when we post on this site is not behaving like ordinary word processing software. I will write to Nigel and ask him if there is a way to accomplish what I want to do.

You commented that most people have learned to play chords in a way that is comfortable for them. True when talking about keyboard players using full chords in the left hand. My introduction to chords is necessarily a pure piano approach to voicing chords, not a keyboard approach. But it is necessary to use that approach in order to demonstrate chord composition and modification. It is merely a tool for teaching and learning.

You Two Take Care,

Chuck

#57660 - 05/10/03 04:04 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Willum,

Thanks for showing your appreciation. And yes, it did play havoc with the golf! Woe is me! If you have any questions, just "holler" as they say down south - down south USA that is.

Take Care,

Chuck

#57661 - 05/10/03 06:09 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
trtjazz Offline

Chuck,
Thank you very much for sharing this very informative teaching with me.
Terry (from the general arranger forum)

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#57662 - 05/10/03 07:15 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Chuck, Great start, After reading through, "Introduction to Chord Voicing", my first thought was--Chuck has a great deal of patients.

Your attention to details, and your manor of presenting deserves a well done.

I'm am looking foward to your thoughts on chord progressions.

Take care, John C.

#57663 - 05/10/03 07:33 PM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Chuck: For a beginner like me, that has never had a music lesson, this is truly what I need, BASICS... So far I have understood what you have presented, and truly thank you for the effort. You are a born teacher.
ARJ

#57664 - 05/11/03 12:26 AM Re: Chord Voicing Comments Here Please
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Well done Chuck,
for a music-theory-barbarian like me you stimulate me to invest in this stuff. I must make some time to do it in time Thanks for your extensive post. I expect for myself to follow the discussion from the 'sideline' but certainly are interested.
Kind regards,
Cees

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online