SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57439 - 10/24/03 08:27 PM CONNECTING KN6500 TO SOUND CARD
KN6 Guy Offline

Loc: Northern California
Hello,

I have a technical question - Going out (L & R) from a KN6500 into the inputs of a sound card to make WAV files doesn't necessarily require a high end sound card or does it to get the best sound quality from the keyboard? Isn't it purely a connection ONLY and any sound card, cheap or top of the line with inputs, will give you the same quality signal into the computer? Thanks.

#57440 - 10/25/03 03:30 AM Re: CONNECTING KN6500 TO SOUND CARD
MrD Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.
Like myself I use SoundBlaster 5.1 I have connected the keyboard to the line in plug at the sound card and make all recording in Gold wave. If you like to uses virtual instruments like B4 from Native Instruments you need to have a high end sound card because of the latency, but if you only like to record direct from your keyboard you don't.

------------------
Best regards
Svein Tore Duås

[This message has been edited by MrD (edited 10-25-2003).]

#57441 - 10/26/03 04:33 AM Re: CONNECTING KN6500 TO SOUND CARD
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
The quality of the different soundcards will affect
the recording and I guess that's the reason that
many people buy the more expensive soundcards
to avoid unnessesary noice etc.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#57442 - 10/26/03 07:29 PM Re: CONNECTING KN6500 TO SOUND CARD
KN6 Guy Offline

Loc: Northern California
Thanks Svein and Gunnar. I have, what was considered at one time, a good sound card. It is the Sound Blaster PCI 128. Using only the input of the sound card as a signal into the computer to make a WAV from the KN keyboard, I assumed quality of sound card was unimportant because all the sounds are coming from the keyboard and going directly into the WAV recording.

KN6 Guy

#57443 - 10/27/03 06:22 AM Re: CONNECTING KN6500 TO SOUND CARD
Richard Bools Offline

The sound card does have a bearing on the quality of the signal as it has to perform the analogue to digital conversion in order to create the wav file. Fortunately most cards do this to a good standard. What you should look for however is the amount of noise and pickup from the other electronics inside the PC case. I used to have a SoundBlaster AWE64 which produced large amounts of noise and made good recordings impossible. I swapped it for either a PCI64 or PCI128 (can't remember which) which greatly improved things. I've made some very nice recordings with the card and subsequently burnt them to CD. Try making a recording as a test and listen carefully during any silent sections. Any noise is going to be created primarily by the line input stage of the card rather than the KN6500.

Richard.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bools (edited 10-27-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online