SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57341 - 05/17/03 07:19 PM Extension Speakers - KN7000
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I'm curious whether others are using extension speakers (for home use)?
I've added a pair of Behringer B2031 Truth monitors to my KN7000 through a Behringer UB802 EuroRack Mixer, and am getting an unbelievable sound. In fact I'm hearing effects from the rhythms that I didn't know were there!
Keith

#57342 - 05/17/03 08:17 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Have a custom system in the music room with a subwoofer. Keith you are right. Just the subwoofer by itself will make your socks roll up and down by themselves. Have a pair of Yamaha MS60S's I use on the jobs and they also make a great difference. I find just the subwoofer and the keyboard itself makes a tremendus differance.

Grandpa Doug

#57343 - 05/17/03 08:59 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Keith! Interesting note about your Behringer Mixer. Since I am definitely NOT an audiophile, can you explain how such an addition is hooked up to a KN7000? Do you need additional speakers, etc.? I guess I just don't understand what a mixer does or how it works. So much to learn; so little time!!!!! Thanks.

Ted

#57344 - 05/17/03 10:41 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
KeithB Offline

Ted
Heard the monitors demonstrated with a KN7000 and moved quickly into my "got to have" mode. The Truth monitors do not have their own volume control so hence the Mixer.
With this mixer I can control the volume from each speaker, but I also I have equaliser control over the Hi, Mid and Lo frequencies. For me with all this sound power relegated to a smallish study in our home I needed a little more adjustment ability. For instance through the monitors, trumpets come a little too brittle for my ears, I can adjust this with the Hi equaliser control. The particular mixer allows for contol over 4 instruments and two mics, plus tape/CD input/output. More than I am using. There are also controls for panning and adding sound effects
Regards, Keith

#57345 - 05/17/03 10:49 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
KeithB Offline

Ted
Whoops, don't think I answered your precise query.
They are hooked up as follows: 1/4" leads from Main Out L & R to the mixer Line In L & R.
1/4" leads from Mixer to each of the Behringer Monitors.
With each speaker having a 150 watt Woofer and a 75 watt Tweeter, I have the keyboard volume way down low, but the clarity is brilliant.

Keith

#57346 - 05/18/03 12:27 AM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Keith;

I have a Mackie Power speaker hooked up to a Mackie mixer and then into my 7000 outline.
One Mackie does the job. Excellent highs and Lows.

I occasionally "gig" out and its sound fills a large or small room from front, side and back with super clear, true to life sound.
Truly an amazing speaker. The best I have ever had.

Alex

#57347 - 05/18/03 11:33 AM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Keith,
At home, I play my KN7000 through a Technics 'Hi-Fi' Stereo amplifier and a pair of very old but still great, Leak Sandwich speakers. The combination certainly adds that extra 'something' to the sound. Too much to carry out on a gig though

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57348 - 05/18/03 02:44 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Ted,
I’m using the 15 inch JBL EON speakers and mixer. These are self amped and the set up is pretty much like Keith’s gear. While I do a final check of sound processing and panning with headphones for my CD’s, I check the final mix for a concert on the JBL’s at home with the speakers placed fairly far apart, adjusting the panning and EQ for the room I’m going to play in. I found it interesting to watch Scott Yee do his concert speaker placement the same way. With careful positioning he is able to get a fairly broad sweet spot for the stereo image. The JBL’s don’t have the harsh sound that many sound reinforcement speakers have. While they are able to produce the dynamics without the fear of distortion that some hi fi speakers produce, they still have the nice mellow sound of a home stereo.
The use of the mixer adds an additional advantage in recording my Technics organ, for it acts as a pre amp to boost the very weak signal coming from the organ.
Frank

#57349 - 05/18/03 08:15 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
KN6 Guy Offline

Loc: Northern California
Hi Guys,

Throw away your old mixers, amplifiers and unpowered speakers. Save your money and pick up a couple of Mackie HR 824 Studio Monitor powered speakers. (About $1800. retail) They are small, about 10 inches by 12 inches, heavy for their size (34 pounds each) and DYNAMITE. They are rated at 560 watts burst power output - Enough to blow your socks off and might I add, nothing less than perfection. They are a must if you are doing serious mixing of your work. The day of "bigger is better" is a thing of the past. I gave a pair of Pioneer 15 inch, 5-way speakers (5 speakers in each speaker) to a thrift shop for these. I never knew how good music could sound until I got these.

KN6 Guy

#57350 - 05/18/03 08:58 PM Re: Extension Speakers - KN7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks to all of you audiophiles for all the technical info re mixers, etc. I guess my elementary mind is only technical enough to know how to plug in a couple of good speakers to the outputs of the 7000 and let the music soar, without the use of mixing, etc. But I do appreciate all the data you have shared. The Mackie HR 824 speakers sound great, but $1800 is a bit rich for my blood; ye gads, I spent only a few hundred more than that for my 7000!!!! But thanks for the advice and your evaluation of the speakers, KN6 guy! And, again, thanks to all of you who responded.

Ted

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online