SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57313 - 09/22/04 04:26 PM Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
In addition to being a longstanding PayPal Member, and realizing that our Synthzone forum includes PayPal donate options, I thought it important to share with you all this:

A week ago I received an email supposedly sent from PayPal, and appearing VERY CONVINCINGLY as official PayPal email stationary, saying that all PayPal members must update their account by Sept 17, 2004 or face account suspension. This email also included website links to update your account. The link itself read: 'click here to update your account', but when I checked the link, it went to this address: http://ns1.frandt.com/suspended.page/

On the SAME page, it said: you can log on to your PayPal account to confirm your email address by clicking the following link which read: http://www.paypal.com/us , BUT, if you ACTUALLY CHECK the link address, it really goes to an entirely DIFFERENT website altogether: http://www.subme.frandt.com/suspended.page/

I then decided I'd better sign on to my PayPal account directly by typing in PayPal's actual official website address manually:

https://www.paypal.com/

After doing this, & providing my user name & password, I find my PayPal account working just fine.

It's obvious that the email I received was an illegal attempt to find out my PayPal account and obtain sensitive information.

Curious if anyone else here has encountered this type of email? In the meantime, I've emailed PayPal directly to report this.

The bottom line is, you must proceed with caution on the internet.

Scott

#57314 - 09/22/04 08:16 PM Re: Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Scott,
I also received this scam email and my Earthlink scam Blocker promptly grabbed it and informed me this was a scam and to delete it which I did. This is not the first time I have received this. Many people I have heard about have lost large sums of money by responding to this scam.
BEBOP

#57315 - 09/23/04 12:34 AM Re: Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Scott/Bebop,
it is good to pay attention to this item. One cannot be careful enough. Recently I've read that mainly the East European 'Maffia' commits fraud to get the pincodes or creditcardinfo. It is a peace of cake to buy for a few hundred dollar many millions of email-adresses. Sending this spammail (called 'phishing') frequently all over the world (it seems they prefer to send this email to English speaking countries) it looks that 5% of the receivers respond to this mail. Afterthat the criminals can easily plunder the accounts of their victims with the obtained password and creditcardnummer or pincode. Very lucrative ;(
Mostly they have copied the website of your realible bank/paypall or whatever.
So be aware, like Scott said, ALWAYS MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE RIGHT INTERNETADRESS (url-ADRESS) IS ON YOUR SCREEN!!!
Cees

#57316 - 09/23/04 11:58 AM Re: Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I received too and sent a copy to Paypal. They assured me it was a fraud,would investigate, and everything was fine.

Bernie

#57317 - 09/23/04 12:38 PM Re: Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too forwarded the suspcious email I received to PayPal, and immediately got an email back from them confirming that the email for fradulent, and that they would be looking into it right away. They assured me that my account was ok, as I did not respond to the link given in that email. - Scott

#57318 - 09/23/04 09:23 PM Re: Warning! Highly Suspicious Bogus 'PayPal' Email Received
Stewart G Offline

Loc: Wilkes-Barre, PA
I just recieved a bogus email also.. I just forwarded them to e bay that's spoof@ebay.com.. And for bidders at the site I have seen the same kn7000 for sale by 4 different persons in the last 2 weeks. beware! I do have a kn5000 for sale and a kn2000 and a bunch of professional sound equipment including 2 digitec vocalist harmony processors. mizers and 2 wonderfull sets of Audippro Elete speaker cabinets. I also have the SD card writer if someone needs it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online