SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56982 - 01/16/04 09:22 AM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry, I still use Windows 98SE on the laptop PC which I have connected to my KN7000, for file transfer from the sequencer via USB, backing up the SD cards etc. Because it is getting a bit long in the tooth, I doubt if it would work very well with XP and since it does the job admirably, I am relectant to spend time and money upgrading it Like Fran, after applying the appropriate patches from Microsoft, I have had no problems with 98SE.
This laptop is connected via my home network for file transfer to my Desktop PC, but not to the Internet, so security updates are not a big issue.
I recently upgraded my Desktop PC to Win XP with SP1 and had quite a few problems with hardware and software, during the process......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56983 - 01/16/04 10:19 AM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Fair enough

There have been reports of problems when updating to XP. For this reason, it is much better to use a clean install.

I understand the "cost" factor, but then again, in my opinion, XP is by far the best operating system Microsoft has developed thus far. I remember the days of Windows crashing with 98, and that blue screen of death?... don't need that either. Besides if cost were a factor, I doubt I, and many others would have upgraded to a KN700. The KN5000 was ok. Of course we upgrade, because simply it's better.

Applications and programs are much more user friendly in Windows XP, compared to Windows98. One Example :
Have a digital camera? Just plug it in the USB, and your pics are easily downloaded to "My Pictures"
An example where XP is REQUIRED is in Windows Media Player 9.0 It is simply outstanding. With Win98 only 7.1 is available. This is true with many programs. Ever get the "Windows XP is Required" notice? What it means is, you got to get with the times dude !

My anology is Windows 98 is like the KN2000, and XP is like the KN7000. Which one do you prefer?

------------------
Larry Hawk
Technics For All

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56984 - 01/16/04 11:09 AM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
aprilla Offline

Loc: Ireland
Win XP is better, no doubt. Once you get all the new hardware and bury the old that is.

I preferred Win 98 cause at heart I'm a trouble-shooter/problem solver and Win 98 gave me plenty to do My husband used to say if things were going well for a length of time I'd *** something up, just to try to fix it LOL

I'd prefer the KN7000, do I win?

#56985 - 01/16/04 11:42 AM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
technicsplayer Offline

Larry, just because you and I prefer XP is not a reason to assume that everyone else’s criteria are the same as ours. If someone comes to the forum with a Kn2000 topic you don't give them a lecture on why they should dump it and buy a 7000 - after all you can play a bossanova on both

Whether it's good enough for you, or an area that justifies a disposal of your income is a personal decision. I've got more out of Technics over the years than I've ever got out of Bill Gates

#56986 - 01/16/04 12:03 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Alec,

Thanks for your balanced and sensible point of view. I've been running 98SE for four and a half years to date and have NEVER had a crash. My system works perfectly. That isn't to say it will not crash. I certainly hope not but readily acknowledge it is always a possibility.

Comparing 98 to a KN2000 and XP to a KN7000 is comparing apples and oranges. I know lots of folks who have had myriad problems with XP. My son, whose expertise is without question and for whom I have a great deal of respect and trust, will not run XP. He has four computers networked in his home, one acting as a server, so is not a novice in the computer field.

98SE does everything I need to do AND MORE! I have no plans to change OS's anytime soon. To infer that 98 is the Model T Ford of operating systems is clearly hogwash.

Chuck

By the way, I play the music on your website, Larry, and it sounds great with Media Player 7.1. I thank you for making the music available to all of us.

#56987 - 01/16/04 12:38 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
..98SE does everything I need to do AND MORE!

This is really a good point, just as when
someone say, if it ain't broke, don't fix
it.
It's not always nessesary to have the newest
but it is very interesting to explore
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#56988 - 01/16/04 02:20 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Gunnar,

You're right. It is always nice to explore. However, I am not a person who explores just for the sake of exploring. I only explore when a need I've never had before arises. Then I explore ways to accomplish whatever it is I want to achieve. It is probably safe to say I have only used a very small percentage of the capability of Win 98SE. I have a wide range of software that I use regularly. As for the operating system, I seldom have a need to delve into it.

I can truthfully say that I have never had a computer crash (hard drive or otherwise) in the more than 20 years I have been working with desktops. Maybe I'm just lucky. On the other hand I think those who do a lot of exploring and experimenting create many of the problems they face, including crashes, by their actions. And that is fine for some. Not for me. I don't need to know all there is to know about my computer.

Chuck

#56989 - 01/16/04 02:44 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Chuck.

I'm afraid that I have had more PC crashes than I like to admit,
but as you say, when all kind of stuff being installed and removed
to see what it is, at one point or another something may create a
system conflict.
But at the other hand, this is a good way to learn too, and even
if I'm a bit frustrated at myself when the PC won't do as I wish
and stop work as it should, I just can't let it be .... next time
the PC are up and running, I carry on as usual, so maybe tomorrow
it's a new reinstall session needed
I love to build PC's, install OS and progs, but please don't
mention about doing anything with my car......
GJ

Btw, the worst thing when this happens are that there is less time
to play o9n the KN
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#56990 - 01/16/04 02:59 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I wasn't lecturing anyone, just voicing my opinion.

I wasn't comparing the 7000 to the 2600.
I did compare the 7000 to the 2000. That was my anology, comparing XP to 98.

I understand not everyone can afford WinXP.
If you could, you should.
It's better
That's my point.

But if your happy with 98 technology in 2004, great.

I wonder if we will get more out of Technics, or Bill Gates in 2005.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56991 - 01/16/04 03:47 PM Re: Bill Gates thinks again.....
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
I wonder if we will get more out of Technics, or Bill Gates in 2005.

as far as Bill gates is concerned this year we should get an update to server 2003 but the windows future storage system is probably further away, at least the full version codename longhorn possibly 2005, but this year windows media centre will be added to pocket pc 2003 to give XP media centre 2004, and he will try to persuade people that his portable media centre is revolutionary, when some of us are on our 3rd generation of the concept
As far as Technics is concerned... nothing

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online