SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5694 - 10/01/05 09:16 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Loc: Watertown
LOL!
That's where I keep my pick often, especially playing slide!

#5695 - 10/01/05 10:21 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I'm a big fan of slide. Got many of them. Glass, steel and a really odd one for my lap steel. IN fact I love slide so much my old 12 String never got tuned to anything either than an open G and open D chords.
Nowadays I mainly use my lap steel for slide. Tune it to a 9th major so it sounds kind of Jazzy.
When I first started to experiment with slides and open tunings I only had a customized 1952 re-issue TL. I played it the Keith Richards way. Five strings open E. Hey, it rocked!
Cleared up a lot of mystery around some of the compositions by The ROlling Stones. I think half of my favorite ones were written by keith while messing on his 52 with open G tuning. He even had a joke about that. "What's got five strings and an asshole?". LOL

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

#5696 - 10/01/05 01:05 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Franklin,
Welcome to the board. I play guitar and keys as well. When I played in bands I would lug around 2 keyboards, plus stand, accessories, ect. I would also lug aroung 2 guitars (one acoustic, and one electric and sometimes 3 guitars if I brought my Fender Bass) plus amps and all the goodies. Personally I got sick of lugging all that around.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#5697 - 10/01/05 01:54 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Franklin,
Another welcome on the board.

I play keyboard and guitar in a band as well.
(mainly 70ties rock)
Downsides are ofcourse the double gear, but as long as all band members help lugging, it shouldn't be a problem.
The other thing is that you need more time for setting up and with the soundcheque you need to play both instruments.
I mostly make it before the drummer is ready though

Make sure you have straplocks on you guitar!
and have room enough BEHIND and aside your keyboard. (this way you can come upforward when playing guitar)
For fast switching I mostly put the guitar on my back around my neck so I need the room to avoid damaged guitars.

Have extra picks lying on your keyboard.

Read setlists upfront as you might end up with continuously switching.

You have to think ahead!
Which means that your keyboard is setup for the next song after playing guitar or your pedal board(if you use one) is ready for the next song after playing keyboard..

Tip:
I use a boss tuner which if switched "on" puts the guitar on standby!
This is very handy when switching to keyboard, to avoid a singin'guitar while playing your keyboard.

Fred

#5698 - 10/01/05 05:03 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
This works for me....

I usually load it with 8 or 10 for the night.
If I can lay a pick down in a hurry, I'll set it down on either end of my SP, otherwise, it gets chucked and maybe found later when I pack up...and then...only if I worry about it.

------------------
...shboom

#5699 - 10/01/05 06:43 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Wow, a multi pick holder!!! What a cool idea!!!

Unfortunately it's not really suitable for me because I only play with one special pick - my old and outworn pick which I have formed with my will power and humbleness over the years...

Yeah, really!! My personal nightmare: I'm loosing my pick at the beginning of the concert... I would search for it until I would have find it!!!

Also, I don't like to "eat" my pick...*LOL*

#5700 - 10/03/05 11:13 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
shboom Offline

"One Pick!!"
...My Gosh...I'm lucky if I don't use less than 4 or 5 a night.
of course, for me, covering both keys & guitar, I guess it makes sense, if I gotta bounce from one to the other over 4 or 5 songs, sometimes I just don't have the time to worry about them, and I wouldn't want the possibility of a pick slipping down between the keys and causing me grief.

"sniff' "sniff"....Ah...I love the smell of burnt plastic in the morning!!"

------------------
...shboom

#5701 - 10/03/05 01:04 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

I too burn thru them, at least one or two a night.

I saw a keyboardist/guitarist Sat. night. He played everything thru the PA and used in ear monitors. For his Strats he used a POD into the PA, the keys direct. The Strat had a horrible thin sound, I'm not sure I could deal with that!

Do you all find that going direct w/ the keys is good enough for you (besides those running into a rotary cab!)?

#5702 - 10/03/05 02:19 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
shboom Offline

For the smaller venues, I just run both amps straight, no micing or D.I.
For both keys, I use a Rickenbacker TR35B, and for guitar, I use a Fender 112 Deluxe.
For the large venues, I mic both amps separately, and the amps basically become my on-stage monitors, plus I'll have a wedge down in front for vocal monitor mix.
I used to use in-ears, until I started getting headaches because of them. Nixxed that idea real fast.

------------------
...shboom

#5703 - 10/03/05 03:15 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Thanks again guys, I hate in ears. Well, I may try them again someday.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online