SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5684 - 09/29/05 03:15 PM Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Loc: Watertown
Hey all! Newbie here, forst post!!

I am a guitarist learning keys. I plan on spending a while learning then will start looking for a band to play with. I currently play guitar in a working band, but want to leave the band for non-creative differences. Long story short- I do all the work with no help. So I have been looking for another working band. I have found a couple good ones, but they are not on the same page as me, ie. they want to "make it". I have a different idea of making it then most.

Anyway, here are some questions.

How many people here play both keys and guitars in a live situation regularly? Is it worth the hassle (your persoanl opinion of course!) lugging two sets of gear? As it is now I lug two guitar amps, three guitars, etc. I wonder if I can find a band that will let me play each instrument 50% of the time?

Maybe I'll start another band from scratch.....

Also, there seem to be a shortage of quality keyboardists (at least here in New England) and I do not anticipate having trouble finding a good band. In fact, many bands we gig with have no keyboardists and can't find one. I know for a fact that if I had the gear I could join one already! Is this common everywhere?

Another question, is an amp necessary as a stag monitor? This seems to be the case what I have seen. I am looking for a good gigging set up, but gotta start inexpesively. I'll have to sell a couple of guitars though.....

I look forward to participating and reading here SynthZone!

Thanks in advance!
-=F=-

#5685 - 09/29/05 06:28 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Franklin...
First of all..."Welcome aboard!!"

Personally, I play in 2 bands, covering guitars, keys, harmonica, & vocals.
Yes, it can be a little busy at times, but that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it.
.."Sorry...couldn't resist the urge to throw that in there"
I bring 2 kbs, 2 guitars, 2 amps, and an anvil case full of all my snakes, cables, mic, etc.
I think Nigel will attest to the fact that it can sometimes get a little hairy, but the end result "the sound" is well worth it, and the $$ split is better than having that extra person on board.

It's really up to you, if you want to do it, no one here can say it's a good or bad thing, it depends on what you're looking to put across for your audience.
...Just my thots..an Good Luck

------------------
...shboom

#5686 - 09/29/05 06:31 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Thanks! The more I read here the more I understand many of y'all are multi instrumentalists. I look forward to learning from you!

#5687 - 09/29/05 06:51 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Welcome in SynthZone, Franklin!
Learning more than one instrument is surely a good choice. The reason why I came to keys is familiar to yours but I still play guitar at gigs only. I think this will change in a few month because our songs will become more synth parts...too much for one keyboardist...

We never had have the problem what we had to handle because we are a band and we're handling our gigging material together. All for one!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#5688 - 09/30/05 06:04 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Franklin ... Welcome ... where in New England are you? ...
t.

#5689 - 09/30/05 11:54 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Hello, here in lovely Connecticut!

#5690 - 09/30/05 03:04 PM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Greetings,
I hope you're not here to post about your little unfortunate experience of trying to play a keyboard using your guitar pick.

I've witnessed a lot of weird shit in this forum. It is the very reason I keep posting here regularly.

Welcome. I personally started by playing keys and then toyed with the idea of playing a guitar. I ended up buying fifteen of them. Play them all. Wil continue doing so until my neighbors stop crying. I take pleasure in waking them up.

Again. Welcome to this place. It is always good to see a guitarist post here.

-ED-
------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-30-2005).]

#5691 - 10/01/05 01:12 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yep, nothing keeps you on your toes more than switching between keyboard and guitar during a song. I drop my pick onto the panel of my Motif 6 so I can play keyboard parts and be able to grab my pick again in a timely fashion. If I am just playing rhythm guitar in songs that I also play keys I just play the guitar with my nails to avoid having to play "grab the pick" game.

#5692 - 10/01/05 06:21 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
Franklin Offline

Thanks again all! I do a fair bit of finger picking already so switching will be fun!!

We'll see how it is live! Something else to sweat over!

#5693 - 10/01/05 07:52 AM Re: Any keyboardists and guitarists?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
When switching from guitar to keys I generally hold my guitar pick with my teeth. Looks kind of cool. especially if the pick is green or blue.

Thankfully I don't get to do it that often. I only need to use picks while playing 60's garage and instrumental surf rock.
Remember "Pipeline"? Trrrrrrrbooom.

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online