SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56785 - 09/17/07 11:14 AM Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello, everyone -

I looked for this question on Willum's site and didn't see it. When recording a song from the KN7000, I see no volume control of signal going into the Audio Recorder. I am assuming that the digital signal comes strictly out of the internal keyboard and bypasses any volume control. Looking at the meters on the Audio Recorder, they seem to only go about as high as half way. The old days of analog recording, you brought in as much signal as possible without distortion. Since this is digital signal, what I am seeing with meters only showing signal half way, is this correct and standard? My playback seems a bit low and yet, when I go into Willum's site and play his songs without changing my volume, they are playing at a higher volume. Perhaps Bill will comment on this as to how he got an increased volume on his WMA songs.

Scott

#56786 - 09/17/07 12:42 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
technicsplayer Offline

the usb output volume depends on the mixer levels, therefore balance in the screen as close to max as possible and for the vast majority of the time this is enough to get near the top of the bar graphs.

Alternatively normalise the file after the recording is saved with a wave editor; for very many years I've recommended the free Audacity program here and on previous forums.

The default output level is a compromise to avoid clipping since a professional player with some of the more dynamic sounds on high sensitivity touch can easily produce very high peaks compared to the average level and these will clip if the output is too high. An amateur player tinkling along to styles does not produce such a dynamic range, and clipping is a very harsh distortion to be avoided at all costs.

#56787 - 09/17/07 01:04 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Technicsplayer !! It's good to know that you have not forgotten us !!!
I hope you are keeping well !!

Regards ............Giovanni

#56788 - 09/17/07 01:35 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, TP -

Let me see if I understand you correctly - Do you want me to raise EACH TRACK volume to get the Audio Recorder to peak higher? I am not anxious to do this if this is the case. I have fine tuned all my tracks exactly the way I want my work to sound. I am surprised that this can't be controlled by the keyboard main volume. Clearly, it can't because I raised considerably that volume and there was no change. My track volumes are anywhere from 120 down to the bass being set at 90.

If I download this Audacity program, why can't I raise a main volume there for the final WAV and WMA files?

Scott

#56789 - 09/17/07 04:03 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nsr007:
Thanks, TP -

If I download this Audacity program, why can't I raise a main volume there for the final WAV and WMA files?

Scott

that's exactly what I described and the correct description is normalisation of volume.

Alternatively if your max mixer track volume is 120 then raising each track by 7 will maintain balance between tracks and also raise the usb bar graph recording volume.

#56790 - 09/17/07 04:06 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni:
Hi Technicsplayer !! It's good to know that you have not forgotten us !!!
I hope you are keeping well !!

Regards ............Giovanni

thank you I'm just beta testing other products now. There is really nothing new to say about the 7k that has not been said many times before.

#56791 - 09/18/07 05:53 AM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Alec has described exactly the process which I use, when I convert my KN7000 sequences to WMA or MP3 format. I use the 'normalise' function in my digital recording program (Goldwave in my case), to increase the overall volume level, after recording and before saving the file to hard disk.
The Panasonic recorder is just a basic program and as such, does not include any editing functions like those found in Audacity or Goldwave. You might like to try an alternative Digital Recorder program......

The reason that the Main Volume control has no effect on the levels shown in the Panasonic recorder, is that the outputs to the recorder do not pass through this control. The Main Volume control is within the Audio amplifier (Analog) circuitry and does not affect the digital signal, which is extracted before the Audio Amplifiers.
However, the 'APC/Sequencer' slider does affect the USB output, since it is associated with the digital circuitry. So for maximum output level, you should always position the slider at the top of its travel.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56792 - 09/18/07 07:59 AM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, guys. I will look into downloading Audacity. I had many links listed off the forum on my old computer in Bookmarks and unfortunately, at this time, I don't have these in my new computer. I have been trying to get someone to load everything off the old hard drive into the new one. I then want the old hard drive popped out of the old unit and kept for a backup.

Just out of interest - in my old system, I had a mixer that came with the sound card - would that work like Audacity or Goldwave? Bill, clear back to the days of my early KNs, I always keep the APC/SEQUENCER volume set to extreme. At one time, I tried finding this setting in the KN7000 manual to make sure I was doing the right thing and couldn't find it.

Scott

#56793 - 09/18/07 12:29 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
technicsplayer Offline

page 56 : - "The volume should normally be set to MAX."

Quote:
Originally posted by nsr007:
At one time, I tried finding this setting in the KN7000 manual to make sure I was doing the right thing and couldn't find it.

Scott

#56794 - 09/19/07 04:17 PM Re: Volume settings on Audio Recorder for KN
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I'll second that Alec. It is indeed good to know you're still looking out for us
"dumbies"

I know Bill is coming to Cambridge, will you be there too?

I was thinking this particular subject would be a good one to discuss as more and more people are making their own recordings nowadays. Certainly I am very interested in this. Here's hoping!

Audrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online