SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#56562 - 10/16/03 03:50 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Willem,
just forget about apc to smf convert for the melody. If your goal is a lead sheet just with melody and chords, you do not need the auto accompaniment in the midi file so ignore apc to smf convert. Apc to smf is only needed if you want to score the entire arrangement with up to 14 staves for each part; [melody, counter melody,] bass, drums, piano, guitar, strings, etc etc !

Just save your easy record as a gm midi, panel header on, in the normal save to SD or floppy procedure so it will load into your computer sequencer, remembering the advice on controllers and quantise - this will give the cleanest score requiring the minimum editing. You will have no accompaniment playing, but that does not matter to get the melody score on channel 1. Then type in the chords quickly using the trick described if you can't remember them all.
Lead sheet complete

#56563 - 10/16/03 05:34 AM Re: QUANTIZE
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi Everyone

So if I understand this correctly, there are programs for the computer that will allow the insertions of chords, along with the melody, that we can print out in sheet music format. It has to be a midi, and only Track 1 is needed. How are chords inserted quickly, using a trick, as Alex described?

I never intended for this Post to go in this direction. However, I'm glad it did.

I find this subject fasinating. I never knew we could print sheet music from a midi.( Did you ?)

Now I'll have to decide what software is best suited for this particular purpose.

Thank You All !
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56564 - 10/16/03 07:45 AM Re: QUANTIZE
desertrain97 Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA 18020
How does pro audio 8 or band in a box compare with cakewalk home studio 2004? Specifically, the real audio quality when recoreded and played back with midi/technics files on the KN7000? I noticed that the sofware that came with the drivers for audio recording isn't very good

#56565 - 10/16/03 07:46 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
How are chords inserted quickly, using a trick, as Alex described?

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:

Most programs have a chord input function which consists of just typing C, Am, Dm7 etc and, for example using the space bar to jump to the next measure point requiring a chord change. You can even play the original recording in the 7k at the same time at a very slow tempo and write the chords in the program as they come up in the screen, complete with the correct measure numbers.

as simple as that, Larry. Play the song very slowly, see where the chords are, type them in the computer at the same time. Get's round having to do a complicated apc to smf convert and having to pay for a program that calculates chords from a midi file, although that can be useful in other ways. But it is by far the quickest way for simple lead sheet.
cheers.

#56566 - 10/16/03 01:54 PM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by desertrain97:
How does pro audio 8 or band in a box compare with cakewalk home studio 2004? Specifically, the real audio quality when recoreded and played back with midi/technics files on the KN7000? I noticed that the sofware that came with the drivers for audio recording isn't very good

Home studio is superior to Powertracks for both more advanced midi and audio multi-tracking, as it should be for the price difference, but also slightly more difficult to learn I would say. For the type of tasks discussed in this thread it is overkill unless you wish to use the more advanced features. Powertracks 8 is fine for stereo digital recording from the 7k and now supports DirectX real time effects for the final mix.

The audio quality with any of these programs will be no different to the audio quality of the software recorder supplied with the 7k. You just have many more features to manipulate the recorded audio, e.g. normalisation, cleaning up start and stop points, creating total silence between tracks or adding extra effects from the programs, so you pay for the extra functionality not sound quality. If you are happy with the built in effects of the 7k, you will hear no audio quality difference through usb recording to the supplied audio recorder, to powertracks, or to cakewalk, cubase or anything else.

#56567 - 10/17/03 01:58 AM Re: QUANTIZE
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi Technicsplayer,

thank you for the information I give it a try this weekend.

nice weekend to everybody and o lot of fun with your board althoug the weather is quit nice now for the time of the year.

rgds.
Willem

#56568 - 10/17/03 04:54 AM Re: QUANTIZE
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Hi Everyone

So if I understand this correctly, there are programs for the computer that will allow the insertions of chords, along with the melody, that we can print out in sheet music format. It has to be a midi, and only Track 1 is needed. How are chords inserted quickly, using a trick, as Alex described?

I never intended for this Post to go in this direction. However, I'm glad it did.

I find this subject fasinating. I never knew we could print sheet music from a midi.( Did you ?)

Now I'll have to decide what software is best suited for this particular purpose.

Thank You All !
Larry Hawk

This whole long thread blows my mind and all the info included is overwhelming. I guess I'm just dense or something, but I am lost in all the comments and suggestions. Now maybe someone with a better brain than mine (and that is probably most of you!) can pull all this information together and condense it, and just list the simple steps, one by one, needed to print a lead sheet with chord names, and whether another program is needed other than the midi save file from the keyboard! If this sounds like a really stupid request from a true "dummy", so be it, but maybe someone else here is as confused as I am! Thanks for bearing with me!

Ted

#56569 - 10/19/03 03:26 AM Re: QUANTIZE
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larry gosmeyer:
[B]Hi Larry,

I very seldom use quantize on sequences that I want to just play. It usually makes them sound too mechanical in playback.

I've been on vacation, so let me catch up. This post has gone from Quantizing to how to print a melody.

IMHO, mechanical playback says it all. It is better to lose the perfection and keep the human part.

As a pro guitar player, when I Played rhythem guitar, If the song was an up-beat, my chords/Guitar was just ahead of the beat. When it was a slow ballad, I was just a little bit late. When we played 5 foot 2, I played right on the beat. ha ha ha--You could not measure the before or after, it was a feeling. I could make a song more exciting without picking up the beat, or play a beautiful ballad, and make you feel the anticipation. With quantizing you lose all of that.

I have taken what I consider a good midi file, gone into step record mode for the bass and drums, and have found they are not always on the beat. They are off with intent.

Quantizing on a drum roll, or a strong cow bell for the Cha Cha beat is great, it does have it's use, but never to lose the FEEL of the song.

IMHO, John C.

#56570 - 10/19/03 04:22 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

that's exactly what strength and window settings are for, Bruno. All the feel of your off the beat playing stays untouched and you quantise only those errors that are so far off the beat they stand out obviously as an error, but not necessarily exactly back to the beat, only closer than originally, as described in my first answer, the feel then is preserved even for the few quantised notes.

The subject then changed to score printing, and the hard quantise is only to facilitate a clean music print out. If you did not hard quantise and cut out the controllers on the score conversion, the print out would be all but useless with tied 64th notes all over the place etc.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online