SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56542 - 10/08/03 09:22 PM QUANTIZE
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi All

I know that the Quantize function can correct the timing of recorded sequences. I just don't know how to use that function.

Most of the time I leave the Strength and Window at 100 % , because quite frankly the manual tells me that is the convienient setting.

I don't know what the "Value" setting should be, so I just quess.

What tracks should I be quantizing ?(I select All...another quess)

Should I select measure 1... on to the end ?( I do, you quessed it...another quess)

After Quantizing using the aboved "quessed" method , I don't see much of a difference, if any at all. Obviously, I need some advise... thus the reason for my post...to ask the friendlly Tech'ers here at the "Zone" for a tip or 2 on "Quantize"

Thanks,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56543 - 10/09/03 12:19 AM Re: QUANTIZE
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
I don't know whether you probably should use it at all if your recordings are mainly done in Easy Record.

I imagine quantize would mainly be used if you decided to record a song in a multitrack format ie you record all the tracks in realtime drums , bass , piano , strings etc ( in short , you're not using the inbuilt styles, but creating your song from scratch)
You'd possibly then need to quantize those tracks, so that the timing is right and they all blend in together.

You could possibly use quantize on your melody tracks ( when using easy record) but it may make your melody sound mechanical, because the timing would be too perfect and you may take away that human feel.

If you do want to quantize, make sure that you ick the correct value ie if the shortest note in your track is a 16th note, make sure you use the 16th note value because if you set it to a 1/4 note, all the notes in your track would move to the closest 1/4 note , so you'd end up with a bunched up set of notes which would totally ruin your track.

The strength if you set it to 100% means that it moves to the exact beat. Wheras if you set it to 50%, it moves it only halfway between your original version and the quantized version. ( I'm probably not making much sense, just find it a bit hard to explain.

As for the Window % setting, haven't got a clue, but if you're still interested in quantizing, I'll try using the window %setting and then run it through one of my pc sequencers which has a list editor. It will show me exactly what the setting does.

First measure is the measure you want to start quantizing from last measure where you want the quantizing to end. ie your song is 20 measures and you want to quantize the whole 20 measures of a track . Start measure 1 End Measure 20. If just say you only messed up measures 5 & 6 and they need quantizing then start measure 5 end meaure 6.

Please anyone if I've got something wrong, please free to correct me, as it's only my own interpretation on quantizing.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56544 - 10/09/03 05:26 AM Re: QUANTIZE
desertrain97 Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA 18020
Hi Larry,

I use quantizing quite frequently when I "real time record" some tracks on my sequences. As for the note value, its usually an educated guess..A "general" rule of thumb for me is to take the note with the shortest lenghth in that particular track and quanitize the parts that are a little "off"! Be careful to save your work first though because what I have found over the years is that once you quanitize for a particular note value, the keyboard did not always allow you to choose another value (re-quantize if you will) As far as note strength, I'm new to the KN 7000 game as i recently upgrade form the kn 5000..(My first gig with it is actually this weekend at a comfort inn in Bethlehem)....I have not experimented with this feature yet but 100% sounds good to me (why would you want to fix something only 50%?)...Hope this helps.....Mike

#56545 - 10/09/03 05:39 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

basically if you hard quantise 100% you get the equivalent of note step input, and may feel the end result gets somewhat robotic. The strength and window settings allow a compromise whereby the occasional bad timing fluff can be pulled back to the beat, but without affecting the feel, syncopation, or deliberate off the beat riffs of the rest of the playing.

#56546 - 10/09/03 06:52 AM Re: QUANTIZE
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Hi Larry,

I very seldom use quantize on sequences that I want to just play. It usually makes them sound too mechanical in playback.

I use the quantise feature when I want to print out a part or parts. Quantizing then eliminates a lot of extra tied notes on the print out. This makes the print out much more simple to read and play.

Larry

#56547 - 10/09/03 08:34 PM Re: QUANTIZE
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by larry gosmeyer:
Hi Larry,

I use the quantise feature when I want to print out a part or parts. Quantizing then eliminates a lot of extra tied notes on the print out. This makes the print out much more simple to read and play.

Larry

Larry!

I'm intrigued!!! How on earth do you go about PRINTING music from a recorded song??? All information would be great!

Ted

#56548 - 10/10/03 05:48 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

any computer sequencer worth it's salt will convert a midi track into a score and print it out nowadays. There are many ways to do it, for lead sheet just save the melody as a midi, type in the chords and print - you could make a full midi on the KN and then print a multi instrument 8 or 16 stave arrangement, rather quicker I find is just to play the KN sequencer into the computer and then print a multi stave arrangement.

It's even been known to then put the score in the KN screen

#56549 - 10/10/03 06:46 AM Re: QUANTIZE
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Alec,
Is there any way to print a single note *lead sheet* from the melody track if it was recorded using technichord before being converted to midi?
Regards,
Walt

#56550 - 10/10/03 08:11 AM Re: QUANTIZE
technicsplayer Offline

no really easy way, I'm afraid, without erasing the notes afterwards because you've used technichord set to conductor. Another reason I always recommend Part 4 for technichord, even if you don't want a third melody voice, is the harmony notes record there and leave Right 1 and Right 2 with clean melody and counter melody lines.

#56551 - 10/10/03 03:10 PM Re: QUANTIZE
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ted,
this comany has a demo you can dowload for free and try before you buy.
http://www.notation.com/studymusic.htm

best wishes
Rikki
p.s. you have to convert your kn sequence into a midifile first using the apc to smf function ( sequencer section of your kn7) Don't forget to save it as a kn sequence, before you convert it to midifile, converting can't be undone..

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-10-2003).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online