SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56085 - 01/26/02 11:50 AM File Exchanging
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Now we would not like to loose friends so soon on the Forum so I would just like to remind everyone regarding the downloading of files/attachments from other people and how important it is to ensure that you have the latest AntiVirus software updates on your PC.

Around Chistmas I had numerous requests for my files and some people sent some of their great music to me however I got more than I bargained for one day and received two W32 Badtrans Viruses thankfully my Norton AntiVirus software instantly quarantined them but maybe the person sending the file was totally unaware that they had a virus so it is very easy to get complacent, some if not all AntiVirus programs nowdays have auto live updates and settings to enable Auto scanning of e-mails before sending Computers can be a pain in the you know where normally, without having this problem and expense.

Regards
Pete

#56086 - 01/26/02 02:07 PM Re: File Exchanging
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Pete, I heartily agree with your comments about pre-scanning before sending emails. I think most of the Anti-Virus programs have this option. The program I use is AVG, which is available as a free download from www.grisoft.cz - the updates are also free. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't got an anti-virus program or would like a change.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56087 - 01/27/02 09:08 AM Re: File Exchanging
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Pete, I heartily agree with your comments about pre-scanning before sending emails. I think most of the Anti-Virus programs have this option. The program I use is AVG, which is available as a free download from www.grisoft.cz - the updates are also free. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't got an anti-virus program or would like a change.

I also use AVG and find it very good

Regards

Brian

#56088 - 01/27/02 10:26 AM Re: File Exchanging
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Pete
I couldn't agree more. Its not just e-mails either - I got a virus whilst visiting the Windows update site. Nortons didn't identify the virus, but deleted the file - this was on 9th Jan, whilst according to my son (who works on a computer help desk)the windows update site was having problems. So it pays to be up to date. (belt & braces)

#56089 - 01/27/02 10:26 AM Re: File Exchanging
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I guess I should put everyone's mind at ease in as much as I do send you all a lot of emails and files. I have MacAfee Virus Scan On Line Clinic for which I pay an annual fee. Every file is auto scanned before opening, saving, and before sending. It is updated on a daily basis every morning at 7:30 am PST time. I have not had a virus in my machine since MacAfee went into business and I become one of their first customers many years ago. There is always a possibility that one could slip by if a new virus was sent and arrived and opened before the new dat file was installed at 7:30. In the event you do get a virus, after cleaning your machine mail everyone on your email list so they can protect themselves.

------------------
BEBOP
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://members.fortunecity.com/bebop1
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=1000&SUBMIT=Go

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online