#55452 - 10/12/02 08:27 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Yes, this is possible by use of the song to
style converter program. (Optional)
Or by use of EMC.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#55453 - 10/14/02 03:29 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Since the KN3 came out you can do this on
board,all the tools are there in the Composer menu,Go to SEQ to Composer copy
And you find the menu and the tools to pick some tracks (8)and you can make youre new
style from a midifile.
It is not a easy job ,but with some practice
you can get some real pro styles.

Regards
Arno

#55454 - 10/14/02 04:49 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN
technicsplayer Offline

Arno's right, you have been able to do it for years. The trick was knowing the chords of the measures you are transferring and either transposing to C major, or setting the chord in the composer, which is the same thing. From the 6k you could transfer 2 tracks to the pads too.
The big advantage of the song to style disk or the EMC programs is they automated this transposing step and often came out with reasonable choices of measures and fills too. A little tweaking in the composer and you get great composers tailored to the exact song better than a generic style.

#55455 - 10/14/02 08:52 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN

Of course, I really knew that too, but since
I use the EMC, I really did not remember it at
the moment. Shame on me
GJ

#55456 - 10/14/02 01:16 PM Re: Midi files to a style KN
technicsplayer Offline

well the EMC and the song converter disk just make it easy for you, but like most things in life you pay for the convenience?

#55457 - 10/15/02 05:53 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alec.
Now what we need alec is for you to talk us through the procedure step by step, or is it in your book? I do have your very useful book but haven't had the time to use it for a while as the actual playing has been more important.
regards
p.b.
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
well the EMC and the song converter disk just make it easy for you, but like most things in life you pay for the convenience?

#55458 - 10/15/02 12:04 PM Re: Midi files to a style KN
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
Hi Alec
Like Peter I would like you to do a step by step guide on this subject as I am sure others would, any chance? We can hope.
Thanks Mike.

#55459 - 10/15/02 12:22 PM Re: Midi files to a style KN

You're right Alec, as ususal we have to pay
for the goodies.
And I'm to lazy to do it the hard way.....
EMC is the easy way.

Alec, I'll take the first step in the seq to
comp tutorial, just to help you started:

Step 1: Turn on your keyboard.

OK, OK, I know........

GJ

#55460 - 10/16/02 02:12 AM Re: Midi files to a style KN
technicsplayer Offline

difficult to do a tutorial because everybody will have a different midi file.

the principles are that the composer must work in C major. Say you have 4 measures of a midi file accompaniment in C major all you have to do is a sequencer to composer copy of drums, bass and up to 5 other accompaniment tracks for those particular measures.

The problem is most midi files will not have 4 measures you want to use in C major. So you need to transpose the accompaniment measures. If you have 4 measures in G major, then that is easy because there ia a transpose function in the composer to adjust the number of semitones to get to C major.

However if there is a chord change in the midi file during the 4 measures you want as a pattern you must transpose each set of measures separately to achieve a constant chord progression for the sequencer to composer copy.

I use an old out of date program to accurately calculate the chords from midi files, another program Midi Connections has a module that calculates chords, not quite as accurate, and there is also a chord calculator in the latest versions of GnMidi. It is probably easier to transpose individual measures in a computer sequencer if the chord changes are complex.

Once you have C major or at least a constant chord to transpose the problem is solved.

It is perfectly possible to keep a chord progression in the composer, say a 12 bar blues as long as it starts in C major. Then all you have to do is press any starting chord and the chord progression loop will play from your starting chord without needing further left hand input until you change to another variation.

All of this is applicable to the 2 tracks of the pads too, 16 measures can be copied in both cases. The solo pads are a different case.

If this is too much work try just the drums from a midi file, requires no transposing and can sound good if substituting some live drums in technics format. Next step is bass, this would be simple to edit too. These tracks could be combined with any of the millions of combinations of accompaniment tracks in the easy composer, if you want.

Personally I found EMC very useful, and the Song to Style disk works well too if you try a couple of passes in manual mode with different settings and then pick the best variations and fills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online