SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5529 - 02/26/06 08:53 AM New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
blankwavearcade Offline

Hello everyone! My name is Christian, and I have always been into electronic music. A few months ago I purchased a Korg microKORG. I've been having a ton of fun with, and get used to how to use it more and more. But I'd really like to make recordings and songs. But I don't have anything to make drum beats. I was curious as to any affordable solution to this problem? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

#5530 - 02/26/06 09:10 AM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
What's your budget? If you like the micro-korg and want to record music now, I'd suggest a synth. There are numerous options out there as well. Some good budget synths too. Here's a few examples:

-Yamaha MO-6/8: Stripped down versions of the Motif ES series--basically same sounds, ect minus sampling and a few other things. The MO-6 is selling for $1,199 U.S.

-Korg Triton TR: It has replaced the original Triton Le. More Wav Rom, black body, and a few extra goodies. Triton based sound engine. Like the MO-6 is to the Motif ES, The Triton TR is an affordable version of the larger Triton.

-Roland Juno-G: THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST BUDGET SYNTH, just about to be released on the market (in my opinion). Roland should get an award for this puppy.

The new Juno-G has the body design of the retro Juno's from the early 80's. They have Fantom based sound engines, 128 voice poly, full synth engine with 4 element voice structure, can run 3 insert effects, HUGE back lits screen, real-time control, blah, blah, blah. However the HUGE HUGE HUGE advantage of the Juno-G is that it has a 4 track audio sequencer. Plus the standard 16 track 400,000 note midi sequencer as well. You can mix audio and midi very easily, and there are slider on the unit for real-time control of the audio tracks. This is going to be an awsome synth to the Roland arsenal. GET THIS! They're selling for less than $1,000

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#5531 - 02/26/06 09:14 AM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
blankwavearcade Offline

Oh wow, I appreciate all the information. But I was thinking more along the lines of software I could make drum beats with and even record with. Then I could just run the synth through a mixer or MIDI, and use that to record with as well?

#5532 - 02/26/06 10:20 AM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
squeak_D Offline

Ohhh my bad! There are lots of software programs out there that let you use "plug in's" and so on. Check out programs like "Fruityloops", "Cakewalk", "PowerTrks", and a few others.

Does the MicroKorg have good pre-set drum kits? You may also consider a dedicated drum machine (several good ones out there).

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-26-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#5533 - 02/26/06 10:25 AM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
blankwavearcade Offline

The microkorg does NOT have drum kits period. :-p It's nothing top of the line, but then again neither am I. I was looking into drum machines, but someone told me I am better off making electronic sounding beats with software. I was looking into Fruityloops a lot, not one of the big XXL bundles, but the more basic version. I really don't have much knowledge in the field of making beats. Which would be easier to understand a drum machine or using software? My budget isn't going to allow anything extravagant, seeing as I am still young. But I really would like to get a good start. I appreciate all the help, squeak!

#5534 - 02/26/06 10:34 AM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
squeak_D Offline

Making your own beats is fairly simple with both hardware and software. You just have to get use to the interface of whatever system you're using. A stand alone drum machine will give you great sounds, and velocity sensitive pads for recording the tracks.

Using software you'll use the micro-korg as a controller. I think you'll find that even though the Korg has smaller keys you can still get good results.

Squeak

#5535 - 02/26/06 12:11 PM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
fl studio is a great value!

start with dling a demo version of it.

if you find it usefull then pay for regestering what ever level you can afford at the moment and later down the line you can get it upgraded. the producer edition can record audio so you can record your mK into the stuff you do in fls

#5536 - 02/27/06 12:56 PM Re: New Member Needs Some Advice! :-)
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
A great sounding, inexpensive hardware drum machine = Alesis SR16. Used on eBay under a 100 usually.

Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online