SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5516 - 05/31/06 08:30 PM Best B3 synth?
kylemactx Offline

Loc: Mansfield, TX
I'm looking at Roland VK-7 or 8, Korg CX-3 and Hammond VX2. I've never played any of them and I need a good B3 keyboard. I currently use an XP-80 with an organ card installed. It's OK but not meaty enough.

#5517 - 06/01/06 05:21 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
Magica Alfa Offline

Trie with LIONSTRACS MS X76.

Is having good open system.
And playing good. B4 is real time

http://www.lionstracs.com/

#5518 - 06/01/06 05:29 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Since you have a Roland XP80, if you want to keep with synthesizers then check out Rolands Fantom range or Yamaha's Motif or MO range, both have good quality organ samples in them that produce the great Hammond sounds. Hammond still do keyboards and rack units but can't think of the name. You could get a rack/module and midi it to your XP80 which is possibly the cheapest option.
If you are more into arrangers then it's Yamaha's Tyros 2, the upcoming Roland E80, Korg PA range, or Wersi, Ketron stuff.

For the best B3/B4 if you are into recording I would stick to a computer and use Native Instruments plugins or other VST stuff.

#5519 - 06/01/06 05:51 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have had or played all of the models you mentioned...
I would check out the Roland VR-760..it is my choice..giving you 76 waterfall keys with a great feel..same VK engine[with draw-bars] and a great piano too..

You can't go wrong with any of the choices on your list..

My chosen B3 today is a software..Native Instruments B4...

#5520 - 06/01/06 07:18 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
kylemactx Offline

I checked out the VR760 and it sounds like it's EXACTLY what I need. I can't find one for sale as they're all discontinued. Do you know why? Did Roland replace it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I have had or played all of the models you mentioned...
I would check out the Roland VR-760..it is my choice..giving you 76 waterfall keys with a great feel..same VK engine[with draw-bars] and a great piano too..

You can't go wrong with any of the choices on your list..

My chosen B3 today is a software..Native Instruments B4...

#5521 - 06/01/06 07:21 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
kylemactx Offline

I'm needing this for live playing in my praise band at church. I don't want to mess with modules and switching back and forth etc. Space is a premium and looks are important as well. Modules add more cabling and I already get a lot of flack. I need primarily a Hammond organ with some synth and piano sounds as backup. The other reply about the VR760 looks great but I can't find one for sale.
Thanks all for the input.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Since you have a Roland XP80, if you want to keep with synthesizers then check out Rolands Fantom range or Yamaha's Motif or MO range, both have good quality organ samples in them that produce the great Hammond sounds. Hammond still do keyboards and rack units but can't think of the name. You could get a rack/module and midi it to your XP80 which is possibly the cheapest option.
If you are more into arrangers then it's Yamaha's Tyros 2, the upcoming Roland E80, Korg PA range, or Wersi, Ketron stuff.

For the best B3/B4 if you are into recording I would stick to a computer and use Native Instruments plugins or other VST stuff.

#5522 - 06/01/06 08:05 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
For the best B3 sound, I can't see how anyone would expect to get it perfect right out of the box.
Personally, I'd want to tweak, and be able to adjust according to room quality for sound.
I'm just using an old T3 as my workhorse for all organ parts, but I can get what I need in the way of B3 tones, along with an effects pedal for the leslie, that plus running lines out to the front end to allow the full stereo sweep, but one is always different from another, depending on the song, and the room and how the EQ is affected. You've also got to be conscious of what you're using for speakers. It's gotta be a 15" or better to get that full bottom end, 'cos you'd never pull it from a 12".
If output is what you're looking to achieve then speakers have to be a big part of that formula.
...Just my thots..

------------------
...shboom

#5523 - 06/01/06 09:11 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#5524 - 06/01/06 09:18 AM Re: Best B3 synth?
kylemactx Offline

I had already read this review and it helped sell me on this kb. However, I can't find anyone that's still selling them. That worries me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/008485.html

#5525 - 06/01/06 07:51 PM Re: Best B3 synth?
raymb1 Offline

Loc: Great Falls, Va
I've owned a Korg CX-3 for almost 5 years now. Most of the B-3 clones have good sounds. The CX-3 has two sets of drawbars which makes it a little more versatile than the others. The layout of the controls is very similar to a B-3. I play mostly jazz gigs and the sounds are perfect for me. Later, Ray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online