SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54633 - 05/14/03 05:07 AM KN2600
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
There's an expression used amongst football commentators which goes 'sick as a parrot' and having only fairly recently paid approaching £2000 for a KN7000 keyboard because of the SD Card technology and having learnt that Technics are now launching a cut down version for half that price (KN2600) I can really appreciate what that expression means!!!!
In all my years in marketing I never discovered such a well planned way to upset my core market...and it's not as though we're talking pennies (cents for you guys over there) here....
I expect the knowledgeable amongst you will point out that the new toy hasn't got this or that but in essence it is the new technology at half the price...
Scuse me while I go away and weep somewhere!

#54634 - 05/14/03 11:29 AM Re: KN2600
technicsplayer Offline

it is the nx chip with less wave rom and less polyphony and without the excellent amp and speakers of the 7k. Less sounds, less styles, less panel banks, no custom, no wide colour screen, no EW expansion. Historically there has always been a midrange model launch in between the top model launches, only skipped by the 6500.

I know it is excellent value at it's price point because I've heard it, particularly since the CB7 is included too in the UK package, and will give the psr2100 a very good run for it's money, but at the end of the day if you play them, neither of them are a 7k.

so cheer up

#54635 - 05/14/03 11:41 AM Re: KN2600
RMepstead Offline

Bless you for trying to cheer me up, Alec...I must sound really sad about a 'few bob' and I know I've got the best currently; but just tell me that I wouldn't have been able to load all my song specific style files and recall them in a second the way I can now with the wonderful SD card and I'll feel a little better!!!!
Chuckle
Roger M

#54636 - 05/14/03 02:36 PM Re: KN2600
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
.....and I'm still trying to find out if 7000 files (or any other KN for that matter)will be compatable with the 2400, or 2600.

Will the 2400 or 2600 be able to play any of the songs or styles from any other KN models (and visa versa)?

SeeYa,
Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 05-14-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#54637 - 05/14/03 03:15 PM Re: KN2600
technicsplayer Offline

no specific information yet, but again historically the 1600/1400 could load 5000 files, so it might be likely the traditional pattern might be continued. Vice versa could be more more problematical, we shall wait and try it out.

#54638 - 05/14/03 03:16 PM Re: KN2600
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi
I suppose there's another way of looking at.
Last year , hubby went out and bought me a lovely brand new Audi A4. I was so nervous about driving it that I didn't go out in it for days. He remarked on it , and in a fit of temper I told him I would have been just as happy with another new Hyundai ( my previous car and retailed for a quarter of the price). I figured it would have gotten me from A to B also and I would have been less nervous if I accidently damaged it or something happened to it.
I know I hurt his feelings, but bless his heart, his reply was he could afford it, and he felt I deserved a bit of luxury.

I think of my KN7 as a luxury.
Don't be upset, we've got the top of the line with our KN7's.
It's been happening for years, keyboard manufactures bring out their new top of the line flagship, and a year later they bring out a scaled down version which usually has quite a few of the features, but not all.
If you kept waiting to see what new features the next model keyboard may have, you'd never end up buying anything.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
There's an expression used amongst football commentators which goes 'sick as a parrot' and having only fairly recently paid approaching £2000 for a KN7000 keyboard because of the SD Card technology and having learnt that Technics are now launching a cut down version for half that price (KN2600) I can really appreciate what that expression means!!!!
In all my years in marketing I never discovered such a well planned way to upset my core market...and it's not as though we're talking pennies (cents for you guys over there) here....
I expect the knowledgeable amongst you will point out that the new toy hasn't got this or that but in essence it is the new technology at half the price...
Scuse me while I go away and weep somewhere!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#54639 - 05/16/03 05:15 AM Re: KN2600
waightkl Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
Dont feel too bad Roger. I've been reading some of the posts on the "other" forum with users of Yamaha 9000 / Tyros vs. Psr2100. The cheaper Yamaha is a very good board, but its standard of construction is way below that of the 9000 and from what I've seen the PSR 2100 users frequently bemoan features that are cut down or missing. I haven't seen the new KN's but I suspect it will be a similar story. The KN7000 is a professional instrument, made for players like yourself who use it to make money. I suspect the new KN's will be like the smaller Yamahas, good boards but nowhere near the same league. Good amateur boards perhaps, but not for professionals. (I'm sure this will invite comment from dedicated PSR2X users !)

BTW How did last Tuesdays meeting go ?. Sorry to miss it, but family crisis took precedence.

Regards

Keith

#54640 - 05/17/03 08:16 AM Re: KN2600
RMepstead Offline

Hello Keith
And thanks for the thoughts - the keyboard meeting went extremely well but only 6 or 7 turned up - see you on the 27th.
We discussed and tested the value of 'one finger chord' playing and technicord.
Roger M

#54641 - 05/18/03 01:39 PM Re: KN2600
tracknet Offline

I have two questions about new KNB2600.
1. How many user styles can be loaded into new KN2600, into its user style area?
A lot of styles can be loaded into new PSR2100 (2 MB for styles, pehaps 100 or more styles may be loaded into).

2. Is it possible play styles directly from floppy (or from SD card), whitout load them before in keyboard internal memory?
PSR2100 play styles directly from floppy.

If both answers are yes, KN2600 will be a great keyboard in managing styles area. If not, I think Yamaha is a lot better on it.

Cheers

#54642 - 05/19/03 06:31 AM Re: KN2600
technicsplayer Offline

Since there is no direct load on the 2600 then the 2100 is better in that respect, the 2600 flash card has advantages in other areas where the 2100 can't compete. Pros and cons with most features, it all depends on your personal preferences.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online