SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54532 - 03/24/02 06:13 PM Style conversion
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
I have a older keyboard with built in styles but no disk drive. I was wondering if I could hook up my old keyboard to my KN6500 and play the old keyboard and make the KN6500 the slave and also record what the KN6500 is playing. Is that possible?

#54533 - 03/25/02 12:08 AM Re: Style conversion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Provided that you have a MIDI connection on your old k/b then that should be possible and depending on the maker.(Sorry that was not meant to be a pun)I have done this in the past with my KN6000 and an older Roland AT70 organ but the result was not entirely satisfactory. If you follow the midi instruction in the kn manual you should be able to work it out. I assume you mean you want to record audio to tape. I have an old MIDI k/b which would create a similar setup so I will have a go with that and let you know how I get on. Two heads are always better than one.
Quote:
Originally posted by lrngkybrd:
I have a older keyboard with built in styles but no disk drive. I was wondering if I could hook up my old keyboard to my KN6500 and play the old keyboard and make the KN6500 the slave and also record what the KN6500 is playing. Is that possible?

[This message has been edited by peter.bentley@talk21.com (edited 03-25-2002).]

#54534 - 03/25/02 02:10 AM Re: Style conversion
technicsplayer Offline

see my answer at http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000512.html for what to do with the midi.
The old keyboard will need the ability to set part channels (and split?) via midi, depending on what you are trying to do.

connect the audio out (headphone out) of the old keyboard into the line in of the 6500, and record from the line out of the 6500.

#54535 - 03/25/02 05:02 AM Re: Style conversion
lrngkybrd Offline

Thank you both for your answers. I'm sure this process is way over my head, but it has given me another idea to roll around in my head until I get the courage to try it. What I would like to do is record to disk the accompaniment from the old keyboard. There is a midi menu on the old keyboard and there is a big section in the old keyboard manual regarding midi. I have hooked up the old keyboard to my computer and used the cakewalk program in a very limited capacity. As a matter of fact, the only thing I have done with cakewalk is select a midi tune on the computer and it played through the cable hookup the old keyboard.I have never got into assigning tracks to sounds, and I have never hooked up the KN6500 to the computer! I am going at a snail's pace when it comes to understanding how this keyboard works and everything that I can do with it and I feel very fortunate to be able to read all the posts from the experienced people on this site. I have had this keyboard since Oct. and just yesterday I took a midi song and copied it into the composer of the KN6500 by using the copy from sequencer to composer method, indicated certain tracks and measures, but when I loaded it and played it back as a rhythm, the cords I played in the left hand had no effect on the new rhythm. The rhythm played, but it played just the same as it did in the midi file. I thought I could use this rhythm as a background with other songs, too. Maybe I'm trying to do something that is not possible. If I have explained myself clearly enough for anyone to understand, please let me know if I am attempting to do something that is not possible. Wow! I sure got wordy today! Maybe too much coffee this morning. Thanks.

#54536 - 03/25/02 06:30 AM Re: Style conversion
technicsplayer Offline

if your old keyboard outputs the individual notes of the styles through midi on defined channels you can record X measures of a style in Cmajor to either Cakewalk or to the 6500 sequencer directly and then do a sequencer to composer copy to create a new technics format style. This is relatively simple, though time consuming.

This would need to be in gm format to get the right drum map, otherwise the drums may be wrong if the other keyboard has some non-standard arrangement for the drum/key assignments.

For the sequencer to composer copy function to work you must use measures in Cmajor, exactly as if writing a new composer from scratch. There is a transpose function in the copy page that makes this easy if the midi file measures are in a different key.

However the measures must have a constant chord - if you have a chord change in the midi file within the measures you are using, obviously the apc will not work because the calculation of the left hand playing is not being done from the required base information ie Cmajor.

If you don't have 4 measures in a constant chord to use, use 2 or 1, and copy and paste them into 4 measures and then edit some changes to give a less repetitive style. I show how to do this in the book with several practical examples.

#54537 - 03/25/02 07:39 AM Re: Style conversion
lrngkybrd Offline

The book you are speaking of is it the How to do it book? If it is, I have the book. Which pages are you speaking of?

#54538 - 03/25/02 08:00 AM Re: Style conversion
technicsplayer Offline

How Do I Edit Patterns In The Composer on page 61 describes how to increase the measures in the composer, and how to edit a part to produce an 8 measure pattern with 8 recognisable measures before the pattern repeats, from a smaller pattern.

How Do I Edit Composers With The Sequencer on page 65 describes all the principles of sequencer to composer copy and is exactly applicable to midi files if you follow the steps above.

The following chapters on Performance Pad creation and editing are also just as applicable to the composer.

If you follow all the practical examples from beginning to end of the book in order you will have a grounding in all the principles of editing which can then be applied to many different circumstances and applications.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online