SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#53541 - 02/09/05 02:09 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Well said Chuck. I'm sure many of us hold similar views. -- And Luce -- A message for you --- Quote:- 'old foggies just won't accept new technology or practices'. !! My apologies, but what a narrow-minded bigoted statement that is.

Many of we 'old foggies' (I'm 73yrs young) wouldn't be experiencing the pleasure of your verbiage, if we didn't embrace the wonderful technology of our keyboards. They can do things for our musical abilities, which in our youth would have been beyond our wildest dreams.

However, modern musical technology must surely be combined with musical talent, in an effort to ensure that this technology is not wasted. And it is this term 'musical ability' that makes we 'old foggies' despair and dislike much of what passes today as popular music.-- All summed up by a recent experience of mine. I had the opportunity to drop in on a session of modern young musicians, practising for a local gig. I quickly became involved in an argument about 'actual playing capabilities. My 'old foggy' views went completely unheeded. Until I asked one of them to sit down, and play 'God Save The Queen' in 6 different keys. (just simple single -note plucking). --- The argument ended. !!! It really does seem that in general terms, actual musical talent and ability, is totally drowned by the market forces of 'manufactured stars'. !! --- Think I prefer to stay a Gershwin loving - Oscar Peterson loving 'old foggy'. It's a world of brilliance.

Colin leaney

#53542 - 02/09/05 03:37 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Luce and Members,

0ne word "FOOGIES". How people accept a word is interesting. Some shrug it off, not as an insult and others find it insulting.
I agree with most of the comments about generations and music and think we should give a little slack to what the author had in mine. It certainly was not an insult to this older Foogie.

Live and let live.

Fran gittn' older in Florida

#53543 - 02/09/05 11:28 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark, Michie & Luce:
For Johnnie.c,
To all those offended, you have my sincere apoligies and deepest regards.As ever,Luce

Luce
I am sure that your derogatory reference to old fogey was not made with any intent in mind and I am sure it rolled off the end of your tongue without you giving it any thought what-so-ever and I am sure that your apology has been accepted by most of the older members of the forum. You can see how emotive such a statement as old fogey (a dull old fashioned person) male or female can be where as Nigel's reference to geezer on the other hand simply means (old one) but in terms of London slang old geezer would be a reference to an old man who on the other hand is far from dull but in fact street wise.

#53544 - 02/10/05 01:13 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Johnnie
He walked the streets on his plates of meat - I love cockney rhyming slang having been brought up on it in the 40's and 50's - I was born in 'Ackney 'Orspital and grew up in Stoke Newington in Norf Lunnon...
Rog
Cor luvva duck

#53545 - 02/10/05 01:43 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Roger,

Not 'arf you are a cockney. !

'Spect yer mum swiftly went down the 'frog and toad', then waltzed up the 'apples and pears' before giving 'birff' to your goodself. -- Up the 'Ammers' and Trevor Brooking. Cheers,

Colin. (one of yer own).

#53546 - 02/10/05 05:57 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll get you on the dog and bone.but right now, I gotta go art an pick up mi new whistle and flute.
Bye Love.
Joe

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online