SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53212 - 07/24/02 03:51 PM caravan
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Has anyone recorded an arrangement of Duke Ellington's CARAVAN. I would like to know the most suitable style and settings. I'm not entirely happy with my efforts so far. Hope someone can help. Very grateful if you can. I have a K.N. 6500. Cheers.Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 07-24-2002).]

#53213 - 07/24/02 05:27 PM Re: caravan
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Jean,
Caravan is one of the tunes on my list to include in a future 'Songs4U' compilation. I haven't actually done any work on it yet but I've got a basic idea. It's one of these 'A' 'A' 'B' 'A' format tunes. I feel that the 'A' sections should be a latin feel and the 'B' section a 4/4 swinger. I'll have a 'mess around' within the next couple of days and see what I come up with.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#53214 - 07/24/02 05:50 PM Re: caravan
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Jean, a rhythm I have found that gives a nice flavor and good mood to Caravan is the Sertaki rhythm @ 120 and played in cut time. Var 1, 2 and 3 work very well for me. Some of the voicings using the MSA are also good altho your can change to your liking. Var 4 really makes it cook. Nice change of flavor. I like it. I play it in 4 flats, the key of Ab. The chord changes are super easy. Edim to C7 only requires moving 1 finger. The other rhythm I use is Jazz Combo @ 232 to 240 speed. Var 1 with the vibs. Try some of the other variations and voiceings, also work with the song. 2, 3 and 4. The latter rhythm to me feels more upbeat. Lends itself to more inprov. Sirtaki gives a more middle eastern flow and sets itself more in the mood for camels, the sand and moonlight. Ruthie likes it. What can I say? You can't fight love.

Grandpa Doug

#53215 - 07/24/02 06:01 PM Re: caravan
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Jean,
This isn't a number I've played before so I dug out 2 copies of the music that I have to try on my KN6000. One suggested either a foxtrot or a ballad neither of which did anything for me. The second suggested a samba which I thought was OK using just the the standard samba under the Latin styles on the 6000 (I think on the 6500 Latin and World may be combined). I don't know if this is the sort of feel you had in mind. If this is for your choir some sections of the accompaniment may need winding back a little or possibly muting. I like Willum's idea of a swing feel to the B section - reminds me of an old Hazy Osterwald recording of this number.

Cheers
Len C.

#53216 - 07/25/02 05:31 AM Re: caravan
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks for your responses. I will try all suggestions. What I really had in mind was something similar to what you can hear on www.tuxjunction.net/ this is a great jazz site. press jukebox, then Duke Ellington, Caravan,and download. I would just use drums and base I think. Makes me wish I knew more about the Composer, but I now have the set of Videos so all I need now is TIME.
Grandpa Doug- I hope Ruthie appreciates all your efforts to keep the romance in your relationship.I have been using the sirtaki style for FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE- I like it. have you tried it for this? I use Russian Dance for the final wind up. That should stir Ruthie!!!
Len. Its great to see you contributing. If you have a good copy of the music for CARAVAN could you let me have a copy on the 8th when I see you please, my copy is not up to scratch. No, this isn't for the choir-they would have to dress in harem outfits and it might be too much for my "senior" ladies.
Bill. I'm looking forward to hearing your version.Don't forget to include it. your idea sounds interesting. Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 07-25-2002).]

#53217 - 07/25/02 11:17 AM Re: caravan
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Jean
A rhythm which you might find useful is winging its way down under

#53218 - 07/26/02 04:46 AM Re: caravan
Jean Olivia Offline

Thank you John, Walter and Bebop for your E- mails and files. I will get down to some serious "caravanning" over the next week.I am sure I will get exactly what I want from all the suggestions put forward.Can't promise it will sound too much like Duke Ellington, but I will give it a go.Thanks to all- you are quite wonderful the way you all offer your expertise. Reguards. Jean.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online