SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52846 - 01/17/02 04:29 PM Sequence Dancing
brianhurst Offline

Loc: England
Can anybody recommend a good source of info on the music for sequence dancing? I particularly need lists of which tunes are good for which dances. Are there any web sites or books or CD's etc? Hope somebody can help.

------------------
Brian Hurst

#52847 - 01/18/02 08:46 AM Re: Sequence Dancing
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Brian
One way, is to browse CD's and tapes in your local record store. Phil Kelsall (of Blackpool Tower fame) is a good source and has done several CDs specifically for sequence dancing.

#52848 - 01/18/02 08:55 AM Re: Sequence Dancing
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Does the term 'sequence dancing' refer to dancing where all participants are performing the same steps?
t.

#52849 - 01/18/02 01:10 PM Re: Sequence Dancing
brianhurst Offline

Loc: England
That's correct Tony and I understand most dances need music that has a 16 bar repeat sequence. Any help?

#52850 - 01/19/02 01:42 PM Re: Sequence Dancing
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Unfortunately, I cannot help at this time, as the types of venues I 'gig' at (lounges, supper clubs, etc.) don't usually require it.
However as I get older, I can see myself playing more gigs where it might be required, so I would appreciate knowing how you make out.
t.

#52851 - 01/23/02 03:52 AM Re: Sequence Dancing
Bazza Offline

Loc: Mannum SA AUSTRALIA
Quote:
Originally posted by brianhurst:
Can anybody recommend a good source of info on the music for sequence dancing? I particularly need lists of which tunes are good for which dances. Are there any web sites or books or CD's etc? Hope somebody can help.

Hi Brian
Do you want tunes for Ballroom dancing?
If so I can help
Regards Barry

#52852 - 01/24/02 02:26 AM Re: Sequence Dancing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi brian.
I have used to play for sequence dancing and did so for about 10 years originally starting with no experience but because what you play can become quite a contentious issue with some dancers one does learn rather quickly. You can use 8 or 16 bar sequences depending on what dances you are playing for. Most of the older sequence dances need a 8 bar but there are so many dances for sequence that even in a local area of say 10 miles radius the tunes they dance can be quite different but as long as the sequence of bars (8 or 16) is correct it can be overcome. I personally found that the busker type books came into their own when playing for this type of dancing and it does of course help if you can actually do some of the dances yourself. I used to find that playing for this type of strict sequnce was quite boring for the player but with time I did get to know the dances fairly well and was able to insert phrases of my own and still retain the sequence which was a useful trick not always appreciated by all the dancers but at least it broke the monotomy for me. Coming back to the main question-- I may still have in my bag some lists of which tunes I had for certain dances so I will try and find them out for you over the next few days.
best of luck
P.B.
Quote:
Originally posted by brianhurst:

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online