SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52648 - 09/25/02 07:22 AM offline - cd recorders
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I'm taking the liberty of posting this here and on the general arranger board as I am familiar with the expertise of the members, and I wanted to make sure you all saw this .....
I am interested in purchasing a cd recorder and have seen several on ebay .... I'd like to use it primarily for coping and preserving old cassette tapes of the group I was with for many years and copying recordings I've recently done on tape.... the ones I have seen are ebay are primarily Philips (Magnavox) model #s 760, 775, 785, etc......any experience or knowledge of different brands, models, etc. you may have in this area would be appreciated .....
t.

#52649 - 09/25/02 08:51 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Tony:
I faced the same issue and went with a professional stand-alone unit---the HHB 850. These recorders, which cost a little more, offer more features and the ability to record on all types of discs, both consumer and professional/computer, etc... Sony, Tascam, and Marantz produce units like this as well. I don't know much about the consumer units like Phillips. I think they require the more expensive discs, although the costs may not be much more. In the final analysis, I'm not sure the ear can tell a difference in CD-R's recorded on either type of recorder.

#52650 - 09/25/02 04:16 PM Re: offline - cd recorders
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Tony,
I’ve been using the Philips dual recorder for several years and find it easy to use and durable. I prefer the meters over some of the other consumer recorders. It does require the use Music CD-R’s, however they cost 79 cents at a number of retailers now, so that’s not a big factor. I record directly from my keyboard and I’m pleased with the quality.

#52651 - 09/25/02 04:31 PM Re: offline - cd recorders
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I have used my dealer's Harmon Kardon (?) recorder a number of times and find it easy and reliable to use. However, it requires a Music CD and records analog right from the keyboard, unless you have a digital coax cable, and has vu meters for easier recording. Runs between $400-500. Copies at 4x max.

#52652 - 09/25/02 05:19 PM Re: offline - cd recorders
Teemark Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I'm taking the liberty of posting this here and on the general arranger board as I am familiar with the expertise of the members, and I wanted to make sure you all saw this .....
I am interested in purchasing a cd recorder and have seen several on ebay .... I'd like to use it primarily for coping and preserving old cassette tapes of the group I was with for many years and copying recordings I've recently done on tape.... the ones I have seen are ebay are primarily Philips (Magnavox) model #s 760, 775, 785, etc......any experience or knowledge of different brands, models, etc. you may have in this area would be appreciated .....
t.

Tony,

I have a Pioneer model 609 that I got last Christmas and it works fine, as a matter of fact I'm recording some old cassettes onto disk as I'm writting this. I have had no trouble with it, it's easy to use and does a great job.

Mark

#52653 - 09/26/02 06:44 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Tony;

I second Franks post.

I to have a Philips recorder. It does an outstanding job making CDs right from the keyboard.

#52654 - 09/26/02 10:16 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
tony mads usa Offline

.. as usual, .... great feedback from the forum family members ..... can any of you tell me how old a model 775 or 785 might be? .... Frank and Alex ... which model Philips do you have? .....
.... once again, thank you all for the responses ......
t.

#52655 - 09/26/02 11:13 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Tony my Philips is Model 765, which is several years old.

#52656 - 09/27/02 07:51 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Tony;

My Philips CD recorder must be the same as Franks.
The model number is 765/17 to be exact.
Made in May.1999.

If you email me your home mailing address I would be happy to send you two CDs I made on my Kn6500.

You will be amazed at its quality of sound.

Alex

#52657 - 09/27/02 10:30 AM Re: offline - cd recorders
tony mads usa Offline

Frank and Alex ... thanks again .... I've seen a few of these units on e-bay, as well as 775 and 785 which I would think are the newer years of the same model .... I guess I'll start bidding ....
t:

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online