SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5264 - 11/20/03 08:30 PM Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey guys.
I notice that even though we discuss a lot of good synths we never really discussed the Yamaha VL series.
I'm just curious if Tek or Morph or anyone else here ever used VL synths.
Even though the VL doesn't really offer analog modeling like the NORD modular G2 or Novation stuff. It does offer a rather complex form of acoustic physical modeling.
I personally used my VL stuff to death, using a WX and BC to control those unique synths.
Since we're all big synth buffs and love to tweak knobs and writhe music I think we should share some opinions and experiences related to VL synths.

Even though I like the VL70-m and the VL150 plug in, I don't understand why Yamaha made those units monophonic. The original VL-1 (V2) had more memory locations, better interface and was duo-phonic (which made a lot of it's sounds like guitars and bases more usable). All of my attemts to get some kind of answers from Yamaha (friends mostly)
didn't provide any answers that made sense.
Anyway,
Drop me a line about your take on VL synths, 'cause I'm curious - what do you think about VL. Is it over, or is it just too strange and complex to really take off on the synth market. And why wouldn't Yamaha release a polyphonic version of the VL synth with it's own keyboard. I think a lot of people will go for it. I know I will.

Thoughts, ideas?

-ED-

#5265 - 11/21/03 01:29 AM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I use a VL 70m with a WX wind midi controller and midi sequencing. The most common misconception of the VL 70 is that it is a synth, when in actuality does not work anything like a synth. So most synth users find the modeling system concept too difficult, or just plain ol' don't understand how it works. The VL 70 does have quite a difficult to navigate menu. In fact, I have been workin on a map of it so that I can edit the paramitors more rapidly (without spending all day trying to figure out where this and that is). Most people don't like some of the sounds (sax players). But if one spends some time setting up the sounds (instead of relying on the factory pre's) you can get as sounds as good as or better than the real thing. You can force the VL70-m to be duophonic.... but the factory does not recoment it. Personally I found it kind of odd that they would put guitar (and other stringed inst.) on a monophonic system. Kinda defiets the perpose.
Is VL dead? no. It's just getting started. I've noticed yamaha is using the tecnology in some of the higher end arrangers vs sampling. For acustic sounds, I'll take the vl over any synth, and for synth sounds I'll use a synth over the VL (exept for the mad tube on the VL, and that just rocks way too cool).

#5266 - 11/21/03 12:09 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
Clif Anderson Offline

Yamaha didn't release a polyphonic VL synth, but you can make one using VL plug-in boards, for example an S90 will hold four of them.

While Yamaha didn't, Korg licensed the Sondius technology for the Z1 and the MOSS board, giving 6, 12, or 18 voices of polyphony. Tassman makes physical modeling available in a soft synth--but I don't know if they use the same physical modeling technology as the Yamaha.

I have a VL plug-in on my Yamaha MU100R. I like it overall, although the interface is awkward. But I don't like the way noise gets added to some sounds to provide a "chiff". Somehow, the noise seems tacked on rather than integrated with the sound.

I think physical modeling will become more prevalent as the required processing power becomes more affordable. Let's see what happens on the G2.

#5267 - 11/22/03 09:00 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
3351 Offline

Thanks guys!
Those are some interesting thoughts and ideas.
Definitely a lot of food for thought. For a while this forum seemed rather dead, but you replying to my topic has proven otherwise.

I agree with the fact that VL and acoustic modeling is just taking off the runway.
The new synths pack more and more features and processing power. Expandability, on board DSP and sample editing capabilities, 24 bit FX and high sampling rates have become a standard. It is indeed possible to expand your S90 or the MOTIF with VL150 plug-ins. It is even possible to play some modeled sounds multitimbraly on your Z-1.
I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha or some other manufacturer will finally release yet another acoustic modeling instrument with lots of new features, easy editing and some new and interesting ways of controlling modeled sounds.

BTW
The "Mad Tube" is one of the most beautiful lead sounds I ever heard.
It's a real cross breed between a flute and a hard sync lead. Just shows, how utilizing an acoustic parameter like Embouchure can produce a very intriguing amd
expressive synth sound.

Thanks again and keep posting!

-ED-

#5268 - 11/24/03 12:05 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
Clif Anderson Offline

The Nord Modular G2 is now scheduled to be available in January 04. While it as an analogue-modelling heritage, it comes with a "plucked string" physical model. A couple of the demo mp3s for the G2 use this model for an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar--I am quite impressed. Because of the excellent programming interface, this synth should make it relatively easy to manipulate the physical models. But I don't know what models other than the plucked string are to be included. Click on the G2 picture at www.clavia.com to check out the demos.

#5269 - 11/24/03 03:52 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
3351 Offline

Thanks!
I actually remember Tek saying the same thing about the G2.
I've checked out the demos and I am also very impressed.
I used to be somewhat skeptical about companies like Clavia and Novation, but synths like "Nove" and Nord Modular really changed my attitude. The G2 might very well be that new physical modeling instrument that I'm looking for.

-ED-

#5270 - 11/25/03 01:21 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
Clif Anderson Offline

There are some alpha user reports on the G2 at www.sequencer.de

Do a search at www.sweetwater.com for a picture that's closer to a production G2 than the one on the Clavia site.

#5271 - 11/25/03 02:04 PM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
3351 Offline

Thanks,
I'll check it out!
I'm very curious about the acoustic modeling algorithms on the G2. I hope they go as deep )may be even deeper) as the VL algorithms.
I hope the G2 has algorithms like "String + Breath noise", 'cause that's one of my favorites on the VL.

-ED-

#5272 - 11/26/03 10:38 AM Re: Your opinion on Yamaha VL stuff.
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Ed

If you haven't already, check out Applied Acoustic's Tasman (I may have the number of s's or n's wrong). This is modular soft synth with lots of physical-model modules.

There are patent issues affecting all this. Yamaha licensed some Stanford technology for its physical modeling synths. I am under the impression that Clavia does not intend to get licenses, but intends to implement physical modeling differently. I haven't heard any models other than the string, so we will have to wait for the G2 or more demos to see what other physical models there might be.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online