SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52613 - 09/09/04 12:18 PM Floppy to SD Card
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a KN2000!, I did have a KN2400.The KN2400 accepted the KN2000 floppy's. I now have the KN2600.I want to transfer the floppy's to SD Card!!,I have tried loading the Floppy to my computer and send to SD Card reader.There is activity and the card reader flashes,But when I put the SD into the KN2600 it reads empty. I would be glad of any Help.
I was first on our site as Joe Baron, I had 2 posts to go before I would become a member.I got lost and the site would not accept me,I went on broadband and had to chang my email address.this I did.I went back on site as Phil Lynch.( My Stage Name)and again I was 2 posts to go to become a member. The site went down.So I am still a junior.What I am saying is,all this activity is keeping me young.I was 74 When I joined two years ago and I am still a junior.Many thanks to the people who have saved me money on a face lift.
Best wishes to all who have helped me in the past.Many good, clever, people, On out site.
Sincerely.
Joe Baron(Phil Lynch)

#52614 - 09/09/04 01:09 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe,

As a start, did you format the SD in your 2600?

Fran in Florida

#52615 - 09/09/04 01:30 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Hi Phil,
We have got some drink, thats a comfort, after approx 6 months I am stil a Junior Member

Jack

#52616 - 09/10/04 12:05 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Hi,
Will be trying it tomorrow.
Just got a sd card for my KN2600

Cheers Bazz

#52617 - 09/10/04 04:45 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
it's been a long time since I tried this, it worked on the kn7 so hopefully it will work with the kn2600.
THIS IS ONLY FOR A BLANK SD CARD NOT FOR ONE WITH STYLES ALREADY ON IT.
Work out roughly how many disks you have
ie 10.
Disks usually have 10 styles.
To keep it simple you'll need to create 10 folders.ie 1 disk = 1 folder.
(You could do it with 5, but it would mean renumbering half your styles from the
no's 1 to 10 to the no's 11 to 20.)

Format SD Card in KN
Do a "save" to folder 1 ( doesn't matter what ie composer,seq whatever).

Do as "save" to folder 2
etc etc till you get to folder 10.

Take sd card out and pop it in card reader and view contents in computer.

As you go through the layers you'l see private, next technics, next kn then all the folders.
Clear out the contents within each of these 10 folders. You'll also see a couple of other note pad typle files, delete these also.

Next copy the contents of each of your disks into seperate folders ie disk 1 - folder 1.
disk 2 - folder 2 etc
Do this till you have copied all your disks onto the sd card.
Check your card in the kn and your files should be in each of the folders.

Once you have copied all your files onto the card , you can start using it normally ie rename your files properly. Save new songs, styles etc.
WHAT YOU CAN"T DO IS, GO BACK AND ADD MORE FILES THE WAY YOU DID ORIGINALLY.
THAT METHOD ONLY WORKS WITH A BLANK CARD.

There may be are far simpler way of doing this on a KN2600, but it definately worked on my KN7.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#52618 - 09/10/04 08:17 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
RIKKI.....Wow....I sure wish I understood what you are talking about! Are there other ways of saying the same thing that might be simpler???

#52619 - 09/11/04 12:02 AM Re: Floppy to SD Card
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
at the moment I have a kn7 not the kn26 so there may actually be a simpler process for the kn26 than what I did for my KN7.

What I was trying to explain ( obviously not too well (haahaa)was how to copy a heap of technic files from computer onto a BLANK sd card so that they will be recognized by the kn.
You DON'T do this to a card that you already saved styles or sequences to via your kn.

I had dozens of kn2,3,5 disks that I wanted to bulk copy across.

If I just directly copied a style disk from computer to sd card, the kn would not have recognized them.

If you format the card and do a "SAVE" of any kind via your kn and you have a card reader, you can see the contents of your sd card via your computer )ie the first folder you'd see is "Private" within that folder, you'll see "Technics" within that folder you'll see ( in my case ) "KN7000" within that folder "Tfld001 " Within that folder will be the files I just saved via the kn.
I don't really want that lot of files , so I delete them. The only reason for doing the "SAVE" in the KN, was to give me the correct "FOLDER" structure for the sd card. I delete the files within the "Tfld001 " folder and replace them with the files from one of my kn disks. You'll also notice a couple of other files called kn??mn and
kn??mn.bak ( I'll get back to these in a second). If you now take your sd card and put it in your kn , it will probably look like your card is empty. If you now go back and delete " kn??mn and kn??mn.bak" files then try your sd card again, your styles should now be showing up in your keyboard. Okay, so I've actually got 10 disks , so I really need 10 folders ( 1 for each disk).
What I could do is create another 9 folders
I have folder "Tfld001 "
so I just create another 9 of them and name them
"Tfld002 "
"Tfld003 " up to "Tfld010 "
Then I just copy the contents of each of my disks into each of the folders.
I can actually have up to 99 folders in total.

Once I have copied all my disks across, then I can start to use the card in a normal manner ie save new styles/ sequences etc.

NEVER EVER REMOVE " kn??mn and kn??mn.bak " files from the sd card once it's been used in your kn ie you've saved styles or sequences via your keyboard, etc
The above only works with blank cards and bulk copying.

Probably clear as mud. ( haahaa)
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
RIKKI.....Wow....I sure wish I understood what you are talking about! Are there other ways of saying the same thing that might be simpler???

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#52620 - 09/11/04 07:30 AM Re: Floppy to SD Card
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
RIKKI......Thanks for the new description....It does read clearer....will print it out & give it a try ....I too have the 7K....Just beginning to learn all the neat stuff that can be accomplished via the USB connection with the laptop! Technology is awesome!

Thanks again....ELIZABETH

#52621 - 09/11/04 02:13 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
Anonymous
Unregistered

KN 2600 uses the same file structure as the 7000. In fact you will not see 2600 one files, only 7000.

I have assisted Fred Mellink by sending samples from my 2600 to see if the new tool he is developing for the 7000 is compatable with the 2600. Result: They are one and the same file structure.

We should be hearing about the release of this tool in the near future. SD maintainance will be a piece of cake.

Fran in Florida

#52622 - 09/11/04 04:30 PM Re: Floppy to SD Card
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Elizabeth,
if you get stuck, let me know. It's sometimes a bit difficult for me to explain things. Remember, this is only something to try with a blank card. Once you've got all your files copied across from computer to sd card, then you can start to use that card normally and save new files via the kn, but you won't be able to copy files across into folders as described previously as the files won't show up.

It was a great way for me to copy all my disks to the sd card ( I had dozens of them)
After I copied them all, then I started using the card in the KN7 and slowly added more and more files.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
RIKKI......Thanks for the new description....It does read clearer....will print it out & give it a try ....I too have the 7K....Just beginning to learn all the neat stuff that can be accomplished via the USB connection with the laptop! Technology is awesome!

Thanks again....ELIZABETH

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online