SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#51499 - 12/14/05 11:32 PM Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Technics Forum friends:

A couple of days ago (Monday), I was just getting ready to record & post a Christmas song, when fellow Synthzone Technics forum buddy, John North (UK), contacted me on Skype to tell me about a new (recent) song entitled: "Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing", written & sung by UK pop singer sensation, Katie Melua .

John suggested, perhaps because of its asian pop flavor sound, that I might be interested in recording it on my Tyros2. Immediately after hearing it, I was excited to record my rendition of it, even though I of course realize it imcomparable to Katie's Melua's wonderful original. Because no sheet music or leadsheet is yet available, I had to pick it up completely by ear, listening to the MP3 of the original CD cut. I performed & recorded it on my Tyros2 in auto accompaniment mode utilizing the Tyros2's "ContempPopBld" style. Hope you guys enjoy my 'quickly put together' rendition of this beautiful contemporary love song. Whether we utilize a Technics, Roland, Korg, GEM, or Yamaha keyboard to produce our music isn't the important thing. It's all about the joy of sharing in our music making excitement. John North: A great BIG thanks to you for tell me about, and suggesting this terrific song.

To listen:
Go to my WEBSITE: Scott Yee Entertainment
then Click on the "Song Demos" page link.
"Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing" is located in the "Classic Ballads" Section. Both DSL & 56K dialup versions are available.

Side note: This song composition was inspired when Katie Melua and friends were on a trip in China, and their tour guide pointed out that, believe it or not, there actually are, over nine million bicycles in Beijing:

Happy Holidays to all,

Scott

#51500 - 12/15/05 06:17 AM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Scott,

Still waiting for Broad Band cable to be installed. After 10 minutes of Buffering using dial-up, I heard your song. It was well worth the wait. Very pretty words and well done. Your a great performer.

Fran in SC

#51501 - 12/15/05 08:39 AM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Very Nice Scott as is all your work. Very professional. Always a joy to listen to you get the best out of any keyboard to go along with supurb vocal work.
Bebop

#51502 - 12/15/05 11:11 AM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
"Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing", written & sung by UK pop singer sensation, Katie Melua .

Hi Scott.
A great recording,lovely arrangement and
beautifully sung and played.
Regards.
Joe

#51503 - 12/15/05 12:00 PM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Well Done Scott

An excellent rendition, particular without having a lead sheet and chords. I'm just pleased to have suggested a song that you obviously enjoyed so much. Keep up the good work

John

#51504 - 12/15/05 08:10 PM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Scottyee Offline

Hi Fran, great to see you back posting here on Synthzone. I trust you're now settled in and happy in your new home in South Carolina. Many thanks for your slow modem download patience to listen to my latest arranger keyboard produced song contribution. I'm only glad you felt it worth it in the end, as I would have hated to hear you wasted 10 minutes of your life for nothing. South Carolina is such a beautiful area, so If I'm in your neck of the woods again, I'll definitely look you guys up.

Bebop, Joe, and John. many thanks guys for your heads up on this song too. I must admit this asian influenced pop genre is something new, even for me , so I'm encouraged by the positive response, and look forward to exploring & experimenting with asian instrument in more of my music now as well.

Scott

#51505 - 12/16/05 03:29 AM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi,

At a dutch music site you can find a few measures of the score from the song.
www.megapop.nl

first there is an annoncement.

at the white rectangle click the last sentence "normale website"
then follows the original site. With a picture of the singer. left above clik
"bladmuziek"
scroll down to find the score for keyboard.
rgds.
William and merry Xmas and a good and healthy 2006

#51506 - 12/16/05 03:59 AM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Great recording Scott - very enjoyable

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51507 - 12/17/05 12:38 PM Re: Contemporary Pop Song: Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing
Scottyee Offline

William and Willum: Thanks for listening, and for the replies too. William, thanks for the link to the sheet music (albeit only a partial page). Glad to see that the chords cited, are similar to what i played, though the intro on my version is markedly different.

Merry Christmas & Happy holidays to all.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online