SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#51137 - 11/11/05 07:26 PM KN6500 vs PSR 3000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

im looking at upgrading to a keyboard with more modern contemopory patterns and sound quality.

some of the demos ive heard of the PSR3000 are quite impressive. putting the speakers and large widescreen aside of the KN6, does the PSR 3000 have a better quality sound bank.

im looking at Drums, solo sounds, acoustic guitars, strings and brass and also synth.

is the PSR much Punchier than the KN6? how close is it to the tyros 1?

Cheers

#51138 - 11/13/05 05:54 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Nick,

The PSR-3000 is an awesome machine, one that has more features than anyone could imagine. Out of the box, however, it may sound a bit soft, or flat, but this is because the factory default EQ's are all set to flat. Once the keyboard's global EQs are set, it really rocks. The styles are outstanding, the voices range from good to incredible and there are more 3rd party style files available for Yamaha boards than all others combined.

You're gonna' love what you hear,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#51139 - 11/13/05 06:34 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply Gary,

I have spent alot of time on a Tyros 1 just trying out sounds and styles in depth. I have not had a chance to use the PSR3000 yet.

If I was to change from my KN6 (6500 upgraded) to the PSR, would you say I'm upgrading or Downgrading?

#51140 - 11/13/05 07:56 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Nick,

Ultimately the decision on this sort of thing is a matter of personal preference. I suggest you downlad the PSR 3000 manuals from http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php
Compare its features with the KN6500 paying particular attention to the those relevant to your style of playing and then sit down for a decent PSR3000 hands on session at your local Yamaha dealer. See how it handles the things you like about the KN. What are it's shortcomings and advantages?
I have only played the PSR3000 on a couple of occasions. For my money the inbuilt speakers are fairly ordinary and as far as I can ascertain it doesn't have aftertouch. I wouldn't change my KN7000 for one and if I still had my KN6500 I doubt that I would change that either, but that is purely my preference.

Cheers
Len C.

#51141 - 11/13/05 08:36 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I would exchange the KN6500 for the PSR3000,no question in my mind, but I would not exchange the KN7000 for the PSR3000.

The PSR3000 costs much less than a Tyros1, (although T1's should be comming down in price), and is an even better bargain if you compare the cost of a PSR3000 with the Tyros2 and KN7000.

So dollar for dollar the PSR3000 is the best deal. If money is not a factor, then I would go:

1. T2:BIG BUCKS.
2. T1 : Still a great keyboard!
3. KN7000: Love it, but what about Technics?
4. PSR3000: All around best for the money.
5. KN2600: Under rated cousin of the KN7000
6. KN6500: Still great, but time moves on

I have Yamaha rated higher only because they are still around, while Technics...well you know the story.

This is all my opinion, and I have not tried the T2, so I can't say for sure, but I have this feeling it may be the best yet.

Hope you make the wise decision, and if it's your decision, then it's the right one.

SeeYa
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#51142 - 11/13/05 08:43 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

I agree that you should let your ears be the judge. And I also sincerely believe that you should sit down with the keyboard and play it, particularly after tweeking the master EQ, which makes a huge difference in the sound quality. Set the User1 EQs at 5, 3, 2, 5, 10 and then press store1.

As for whether or not it's an upgrade, I personally believe it is, but again, it all depends on what you are hoping to achieve. I've only owned one Technics, and at the time I thought it was a great keyboard, but I like the PSR-3000 a lot more, especially with its ability to do so many things on the fly.

One of the best sources of information for the PSR and Tyros series of keyboards is www.psrtutorial.com which has an outstanding forum and fantastic resource section, incluidng detailed, well written lessons on using the keyboards.

Good Luck on your decission,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#51143 - 11/13/05 10:10 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All,

Thanks for all the friendly informative replies.

my main concern between the two boards is sound quality. To me the functions seem to be equivalent. Speakers dont bother me as i have it hooked up to a very decent speaker system in my room at home.

I really want to know how sounds compare. I have heard demos, but demos are always so perfect they blow you away no matter what the keyboard is.

Acoustic Guitars, Solo Saxes, Brass, Drum kits (standard/rock kits and dance Kit are my favourite), symphonic strings, Grand Piano are my main concerns. Trumpets and reed dont bother me too much.

can someone give me a breif comparison bewteen the two?

Alot of people seem to be put off a technics board just becuase technics are no longer. Is this becuase of depreciation of value? To me the KN6 and KN7 are far ahead of their time. The only thing that seems to bother me is that the built in styles are outdated. (As I am more into modern beats) It is handy that you can creat your own patterns, although you can only store 20 at once giving the fact you dont get the SD feature on the KN6

#51144 - 11/14/05 06:23 PM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just went and spent the last hour testing out a PSR3000. Very impressive. I think the solo saxes are a let down over the KN6 but the rest of the board is a pleasure.

As far as voice quality goes, I cant seem to notice much of a difference between PSR3000 and Tyros 1. does any one disagree?

My KN6 is up fo sale on ebay if anyone is interested. I will be purchasing a new psr 3000 very soon :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7366687616&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

#51145 - 11/15/05 05:47 AM Re: KN6500 vs PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

Nick,

The PSR-3000 and Tyros1 are very close. The Tyros has twice the sampling size, therefore some of the voices will sound a bit fuller.

As for the sax sounds, when you get the 3000 I'll email you some registrations that will blow away every sax sound you've ever heard. In fact, a few weeks ago while performing at a private party, a person who was in another room came up to me on a break and said he wanted to meet the sax player. His comments were "This guy really can make that sax wail. I used to be in a big band and played the sax, but your sax player is incredible." When I told him all those sounds were coming from my arranger keyboard, he stared at it in disbelief and said "Wow! I have to get one of those."

Essentially, all it takes is a little tweaking and tuning of the keyboard's User EQs and you'll hear an incredible difference. However, if you use the keyboard's excellent registration features, you can do unbelievable things with the voices, and you can save those voices to a user area so they can be recalled at any time.

Email me when you get the keyboard and I'll send the files. And, if you get stuck and cannot find an answer to a specific question, email me your phone number and I'll try to walk you through the problem step by step.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online