SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#509618 - 02/21/24 09:26 AM Happy belated Valentine day
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I was looking for something in my old REAPER files and ran across this. It (along with Diki's critiques smile ) reminded me why I stopped trying to imitate horns and saxes on a keyboard. I probably didn't post it at the time because of all the mistakes (piano riffs, dubious chord choices, etc.) but now I don't really care smile. I'm working on a new version now with a totally new approach. Mostly Crumar SEVEN with some augmentation. Should be done sometime between now and 2025.

BTW Paul, I've been trying to get Russ to collaborate on something for years now but procrastination has won the day. I've got another old geezer that plays beautiful guitar that I'v recorded a lot of stuff with (I posted a solo version of him playing 'Why Try To Change Me Now'). Most people liked it. We haven't played much together since my wife died but we still keep in touch.

Anyhow, here's a butchered version of 'Funny Valentine'.

https://app.box.com/s/97ri5tl47rlry7acp2rxuhy2cai9cr6t

chas

#509634 - 02/25/24 10:55 AM Re: Happy belated Valentine day [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Absolutely outstanding, Chas. You managed to capture all the nuances of that horn, thereby providing that realistic sound that is so difficult to create. Sure wish I had your talents, old man.

Hope you and Russ can get together soon. I keep in touch with him by telephone weekly and while I can no longer drive or travel other than ride to the various doctors appointments, I would love to have got together with both of you when I passed through Georgia on my sailing trips.

Great rendition, of a wonderful, old song,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#509637 - 02/25/24 01:01 PM Re: Happy belated Valentine day [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, that was so long ago that I don't remember for sure what the trumpet was but I'm pretty sure it's from my old Triton Classic. I know for sure that the sax is from my ancient PA1x Pro (that's about the only sax I use, even now), and I think the guitar at the end is also from the PA1x. I just love the sound of some of the older synths. They just seem to be deeper, richer, fatter, more colorful (even if not more authentic). To me, the only thing that's improved in the newer boards are the high-end organ clones and the pianos. But of course, it's all subjective. Some just conform better to certain playing styles.

chas

#509650 - 02/29/24 07:29 PM Re: Happy belated Valentine day [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Very nice - enjoyed all the stuff you had going on! Did you kick pedals? Love the organ. Piano was cool too and the Korg sax is really quite good. Trumpet was great....Thx for sharing smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online