SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#509587 - 02/15/24 04:31 PM Predictions for new Mid range Yamaha PSR SX?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Now that the Genos 2 is in full swing, what kind of assumptions can we make about a a new PSR SX model?

Would we expect to see something in 2024?

Can anyone suggest what features may trickle down from Genos 2 into it?

I for one would like them to re do a new keybed - I personally think the FSB keybed was a disaster and hopefully they decide to move on and implement something better (MODX keybed would be a good start)...

- Will we see the FM engine / DX7 sounds brought across?
- improved Grand piano voice that doesn't decay so early?
- The better reverbs from Genos 2?
- Ambience Drums?
- Custom Drum Kit creator?
- More sample memory?

I think we have have all accepted that SA.2 voices are reserved for TOTL and wont ever trickle down... I would love to be proven wrong but I'm not getting my hopes up...

Keen to hear others thoughts on this?

Cheers

Edited by Nick G (02/15/24 04:31 PM)

#509591 - 02/15/24 08:11 PM Re: Predictions for new Mid range Yamaha PSR SX? [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Isn’t there a couple of year gap between SX and Genos releases? The SX900 came out two years after the original Genos (and had a few things like the multi-part chord sequencer which was subsequently added to the Genos in an update).

It seems reasonable to infer that Yamaha might wait the same two years before they trickle down features that have only just appeared in the Genos2. To do it now would undoubtedly cut into Genos2 sales…

#509594 - 02/16/24 05:44 AM Re: Predictions for new Mid range Yamaha PSR SX? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

A little birdie says winter NAMM 2025 release for Yamaha MOTL arranger release... However, all Diki has stated above makes great sense also. Meanwhile I am loving my DGX670 for now.

#509599 - 02/16/24 12:04 PM Re: Predictions for new Mid range Yamaha PSR SX? [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
With supply chain issues and the shrinking of the arranger market (none of us getting younger!) it seems that model generational changes are getting further and further apart. Korg’s new MOTL arranger is LONG overdue, still not even a whisper about a successor based on PA5X technology…

In the meantime, the SX900 is still a cutting edge MOTL arranger with, to be frank, no real competition at the price point, I rather doubt Yamaha is in any rush to replace it.

The competition between Korg Yamaha and Roland drove innovation and new models came as fast as they could be pushed out, often with little more than incremental changes (especially in Yamaha’s case), but with Korg’s ongoing issues with its entirely new OS for the PA5X (unlikely they’ll want to push out a MOTL model until the bugs are squashed on the TOTL model) and Roland leaving the arena seemingly for good, there’s simply no pressure on Yamaha to rush.

I’ve no little birds, but I’d be surprised if we get a new SX before 2026 the way things are going..!

BTW, glad you are digging the DGX..!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online