SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#509520 - 01/24/24 10:45 PM Weight of Sx 900
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Anyone know how much weight my keyboard will lose if I remove the speakers from my Sx 900 keyboard?
John C,

#509521 - 01/25/24 11:52 AM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You might try ordering two speakers from Yamaha and asking what the shipping weight is…

#509523 - 01/25/24 12:11 PM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
No straight answer from me, sorry, but I remember having the same thoughts about my PSR, the weight can be a problem. I think that the main weight comes not from the speakers themselves, but from an amplifier and the speakers' casing which is also a part of keyboard's body. Also I would expect that altering the whole scheme too much may cause some mulfuction; although some people turn their arrangers into modules.
There is an option to buy SX600, it is 7,5 lbs lighter than SX900, similar to an older S670. I had to carry S670 in its box when I was moving and I would say that this difference is relevant.
But I guess you would want something much more lighter; sadly most of lightweight keyboards are either entry-level arrangers or arrangerless.

#509527 - 01/26/24 09:09 AM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
25lbs is a problem? Try the full featured 76 note BK9, at 20lbs!

Roland did an amazing job of putting the 45lbs G70 on a starvation diet without losing much (and adding a ton of new stuff). My BK9 has been easily as durable as my ‘built like a tank’ G70, and the action, though not QUITE as good as the G70’s (the finest semi-weighted 76 action ever made!) is easily as good as a PA4X (albeit without aftertouch).

To be honest, I have my doubts that the speakers in the SX900 weigh more than a couple of pounds…

Perhaps a case with little wheels at one end might make moving the SX900 easier?

#509531 - 01/27/24 07:32 AM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
zuki Offline

Hey Diki. Agree. I was amazed when I took the BK out of the box - so manageable. In comparison to my FA-07, the BK keybed is much better. The FA keybed is not fun to play, as it is hard to engage the key (so stiff). Not the same on the BK (awesome). The 4X must use a different keybed (Fatar? - dunno) and is much better than the BK (IMO). But........I still really love the BK bed and look forward to seeing what the crowd thinks about it - the real test!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#509532 - 01/27/24 09:00 AM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, if you cannot lift that keyboard, it's time for you to hit the gym on a daily basis so you can regain some of your strength. I know you are old as dirt, but so am I and I just constructed a 260-pound dining room table. Yesterday, I lifted one end so my daughter could drag out the tarpaulin from beneath the saw horses it is currently sitting upon. Today, I moved my PSR-S950 to anther location in my office so I could vacuum the carpet beneath it - no problem.

Now, even though I am dying from a nasty lung disease, I still work out on a daily basis in order to keep myself in good enough physical condition to care for my wife, who has been wheelchair bound for three years. I spend 30 minutes a day on a recumbent bike, then do 100 curls with a 5-pound arm weight with each arm, and finally, using a stretch band, do 50 chest and leg spread exercises.

Today is a cleaning day for me, and I am trying to clean up all the mess I made constructing the table in the family room. Lots of dusting and vacuuming to do, but I will try my best to get this all done so I can spend tomorrow watching the Ravens football game. Go Ravens!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#509535 - 01/28/24 09:01 PM Re: Weight of Sx 900 [Re: bruno123]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
This may or may not help but I have personally pulled apart my SX900 to replace the grease on all the black keys.

The speakers are not actually that big so I dont think it will save much weight at all by removing them. Where most of the weight comes from I think is the wooden casing around the speakers. you could probably remove all that but It would most likely involve separating / cutting through the casing of the keyboard... If you were handy at crafting - you could easily replace or cover any gaps using aluminium / painting black to match etc...

It may sound scary to some, but not that hard to accomplish if you have tools and the know how...

good luck!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online