SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#509323 - 12/03/23 08:10 AM Change of Heart
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
After some soul-searching, I've decided NOT to get a second BK7m, or for that matter, a SECOND anything. The reason has to do with where I want to go musically. As much as I like the convenience of a BK7m as a 'quick and dirty' drum machine, getting a second one would not inspire me to explore different musical directions. Given my logistical situation, it would add some convenience but little in the way of creativity. I think I'd continue to generate the same old organ-based mediocrity I've been doing for the last 50 years; stuff that's been done a million times before, by a million different musicians, a million times better. I NEED TO REBOOT (maybe some of you do as well; think about it).

My current thinking involves a deeper dive into the world of sampling, especially vocal sampling. Old concept but relatively new to me. Also exotic 'sounds' and instruments, and how they can be integrated into just regular 'pop' music (including jazz, blues, choral, and orchestral). Without the 'content' restrictions imposed by gigging, the possibilities are endless.

I've been looking into dedicated samplers (their time may have come and gone), so-called "production machines", aka hybrid drum machines which combines sampling with very sophisticated rhythm capabilities, and the latest TOTL synth/workstations. I might even consider something like the Korg PA5x but am afraid of the distraction that the ready availability of STYLES might be (ie. "wow, I can NEVER top this"). But then again, I'm looking for '"new", "different", "innovative", "FUN".....not 'better', especially since 'better' is purely subjective.

So, sorry Zuki (about the BK7m), but the truth is, I'm probably closer
to your way of thinking (try everything) than you think.

chas

#509324 - 12/03/23 02:12 PM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Good to hear from you Chas. I sure do try everything! How else can we know? I made good with my BK7m sale, so no sweat. As tempting as it was to play, it took away from my 4X time (22 gigs in Dec).

The 5x sure looks interesting, but the 4 does fine. I'm not some fancy player that needs the best, always.

Some gigs, I just get bored as hell with an arranger and why I bought the DGX670. It has improved my skills and I might even do straight piano down the road.

Good luck and fun on your journey. I love your B3 touch, so don't stray too far!

Go Ridder....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#509326 - 12/03/23 04:36 PM Re: Change of Heart [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By zuki

Go Ridder....

Ha Ha, you and my son, big Ridder fans. He did look ok today.

chas

#509327 - 12/03/23 05:41 PM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I know Chas is going to do his best to turn an innocent post into something to get mad about, but here goes anyway… 😂

I think if you want to explore things new and different, your best bet is a computer and software. Sure, with some hardware to control it, but bang for the buck, software for sampling and experimental sound creation is FAR cheaper than hardware, and more flexible.

Modular synths for sound design are a fortune compared to software, which allows you to afford several for less than a single decent analog modular rig.

But bottom line, what is your inner ear hearing? Who is inspiring you in this new direction? What do they use? I would bet there’s a computer rig in the equation somewhere…

#509329 - 12/04/23 05:27 AM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thank you for your input. However, I'm not looking for an 'answer', or a 'solution', an especially not a 'best bang for the buck'. This is all about JOURNEY. One recent thing that did 'inspire' me was Gunnar's observation of the ever-shortening window in which we have to explore our wishes, desires, and fantasies, and where practical, the need to do it NOW.

For sure there is no BEST way to do something; there's just a PREFERRED way (among many) by the doer. It always comes back to "different strokes for different folks", and that's how it should be. However, there are always those who insist that they know how to realize your fantasy better than you do, even though they've never fantasized about delivering Pizza to a sorority house and the girls were short on cash smile smile. Sorry, my mind drifted away for a second smile. Anyhow, it'll be fun to see where my journey leads, unfettered by outside OPINIONS. Anyhow, feel free to offer advice or suggestions; however, I'm unlikely to heed them unless you can show that you've followed that advice in your own journey.

chas

#509330 - 12/04/23 09:41 AM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
However, there are always those who insist that they know how to realize your fantasy better than you do, even though they've never fantasized about delivering Pizza to a sorority house and the girls were short on cash smile

chas

hhahhaha...you sure did drift off for a moment smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#509331 - 12/04/23 09:52 AM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I rest my case.

Someone that hasn’t walked the path yet can hardly have a ‘preferred’ way.

Personally, when taking a new path, I don’t get pissed off when offered advice from those who’ve already gone down that path. I can take it or leave it, but I'm always appreciative of the effort.

But that’s because I'm not a jerk.

#509332 - 12/04/23 11:14 AM Re: Change of Heart [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, good luck on your new venture - I know it will be both challenging and exciting.

A couple months ago, before I started on the table project, I had serious thoughts about buying another 12 string Yamaha guitar, which IMO, sounds absolutely incredible. I got my daughter to take me to the music store, sat down in a sound proof room, tuned one up and began to play. It only took me 5 minutes to decide against the purchase. Yes, that guitar sounded incredible as I remembered from the past, however, at the end of 5 minutes, I thought my fingers would be bleeding. OUCH!

Guess I will stick with my ancient S-950 and keep downloading new styles for it. Additionally, my lousy lungs no longer allow me to sing, so I am stuck with my playing abilities, which are not on part with most of the forum members. When I was working, I relied heavily on my vocal ability, which is now shot to Hell, along with a lot of other body parts.

Good luck, Chas,

Gary cool (The old codger.) smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#509333 - 12/04/23 11:44 AM Re: Change of Heart [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Diki

But that’s because I'm not a jerk.

Uhh, the jury's still out on that one.

chas

#509334 - 12/04/23 12:08 PM Re: Change of Heart [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Chas, good luck on your new venture - I know it will be both challenging and exciting.

Gary cool (The old codger.) smile

Thanks Gary, but don't worry about your declining vocal abilities and such. Rest assured you'll be most remembered for your willingness to help all the people who ASKED FOR your help and helped them for ALL THE RIGHT REASONS. I don't ever recall you implying that someone must be an idiot for not doing things YOUR way or being the final arbiter for how the world SHOULD be.

Keep doing what you're doing, my friend, and don't let ANYONE tell you what shade of stain you should use on that beautiful piece of artwork.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online